Post Hole Digger - X739
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Post Hole Digger - X739

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    03-20-2019 @ 08:36 AM
    Location
    Southeast PA
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Post Hole Digger - X739

    First! I've read on here and other forum sites on the pros and mostly cons of attaching a post hole digger on the x700 series. So please lets not get into that debate again.

    What I really want to know is who's done it? Real life experiences.

    I'm only looking to drill 4" or 6" holes a couple feet deep, no need to get below the frost line. I was looking strong at the LandPride PD10 as it seemed perfect with only 30" augers. But then I looked at the specs which state 300 RPM PTO speed. Doesn't match well.
    greenharley likes this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    20,124
    Thanks
    1,092
    Thanked 3,100 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	A4492B6C-5E4D-4EFE-8FAF-50BBAF4E9F41.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	588433

    If you only need 4-6 holes 2 deep this is a much easier solution - will take maybe 5 minutes per hole.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  4. Top | #3
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,030
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by larrys View Post
    I'm only looking to drill 4" or 6" holes a couple feet deep, no need to get below the frost line. I was looking strong at the LandPride PD10 as it seemed perfect with only 30" augers. But then I looked at the specs which state 300 RPM PTO speed. Doesn't match well.
    The PD10 is Cat1, isn't the X700 Cat0?

    I wouldn't worry at all about the 300 RPM PTO speed. That just means you don't have to run your engine wide-open for 540 RPM. You will just have to run your engine slower.
    greenharley likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,030
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	A4492B6C-5E4D-4EFE-8FAF-50BBAF4E9F41.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	588433

    If you only need 4-6 holes 2 deep this is a much easier solution - will take maybe 5 minutes per hole.
    He didn't say how many he had to dig. My advice would be to see if you have some place local that rents equipment. Around here you can rent a gas powered post hole digger for around $47 / day.

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	post_digger.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	588441
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  7. Top | #5
    JD4044M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Location
    Okanogan, Washington State
    Posts
    2,770
    Thanks
    1,661
    Thanked 589 Times in 396 Posts
    I did mine the hard way. I hand dug 186 - 3 ft deep holes for my white PVC 3-Rail Ranch Fence. Now I own a post hole digger for my tractor and it sure is nicer to dig a post hole with but a pain to set up for just a few holes. Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCF3951.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	588449Took a week for me to put this fence up on the place after the holes 8 ft apart the rest just snaps together. This fence is 20 years old in the picture!! My Brother in Law gave us the fence for a wedding present over 1,800 ft of it!! Sure made the place look nicer when it went up.

  8. Top | #6
    martincom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:28 AM
    Location
    Brainerd, MN
    Posts
    1,462
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 280 Times in 213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    I did mine the hard way. I hand dug 186 - 3 ft deep holes for my white PVC 3-Rail Ranch Fence. Now I own a post hole digger for my tractor and it sure is nicer to dig a post hole with but a pain to set up for just a few holes. Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCF3951.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	588449Took a week for me to put this fence up on the place after the holes 8 ft apart the rest just snaps together. This fence is 20 years old in the picture!! My Brother in Law gave us the fence for a wedding present over 1,800 ft of it!! Sure made the place look nicer when it went up.
    Wow! That was one heck of a wedding gift. That stuff is by no means cheap. I need to forward this on to my brother-in-laws and let them know they're falling way short of the bar.
    BigJim55, Neb, greenharley and 5 others like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to martincom For This Useful Post:

    JD4044M(04-09-2018)

  10. Top | #7
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    20,124
    Thanks
    1,092
    Thanked 3,100 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    I did mine the hard way. I hand dug 186 - 3 ft deep holes for my white PVC 3-Rail Ranch Fence. Now I own a post hole digger for my tractor and it sure is nicer to dig a post hole with but a pain to set up for just a few holes. Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCF3951.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	588449Took a week for me to put this fence up on the place after the holes 8 ft apart the rest just snaps together. This fence is 20 years old in the picture!! My Brother in Law gave us the fence for a wedding present over 1,800 ft of it!! Sure made the place look nicer when it went up.
    Ahh - another fellow who obviously isnt afraid of hand tools! Thats all we had growing up. Still to this day when I am working on something I grab the hand tools - like if I need to cut a board I reach for the hand saw.

    The fence is beautiful! And being vinyl it looks great even after all those years. A fence like that is such a nice touch.

    I worked for a millionaire++ hobby farmer once - hundreds of acres of fields all enclosed with miles and miles of split rail fence. We had 4-5 college kids hired every summer whos only job was the trim under the fence.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  11. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    03-20-2019 @ 08:36 AM
    Location
    Southeast PA
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by larrys View Post

    What I really want to know is who's done it? Real life experiences.
    Thanks for the replies. Digging dozens of holes. But my original question is still there if anyone has done this with an x700
    greenharley, Fozsey and JD4044M like this.

  12. Top | #9
    JD4044M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Location
    Okanogan, Washington State
    Posts
    2,770
    Thanks
    1,661
    Thanked 589 Times in 396 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    Wow! That was one heck of a wedding gift. That stuff is by no means cheap. I need to forward this on to my brother-in-laws and let them know they're falling way short of the bar.
    He made way more money then me! He was the CEO of Heritage Vinyl Fence Products and could afford it. I used to install the stuff for a while back then it was $5.95 a ft X 1800 ft plus adds up quick. The fence has held cows up in the air before when one went over it. If it is hit at high speed the rails will pop out and can be put back in. Sometimes when real cold it can break when hit hard. Now wood personally would look like crap painted white after 20 years of doing nothing to it sitting out in full hot summer sun and hard winter cold! It is pushing $100.00 a 8ft section for materials alone now.
    greenharley likes this.

  13. Top | #10
    AlKozak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Location
    Caroga Lake, NY
    Posts
    715
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by larrys View Post
    First! I've read on here and other forum sites on the pros and mostly cons of attaching a post hole digger on the x700 series. So please lets not get into that debate again.
    Why spend a kilobuck for an attachment that is clearly not designed with a lawn tractor in mind? That's twice the price of a perfectly usable TSC auger just for the privilege of a bit that is shorter by a foot. The dead weight alone is over 10% of an x739. Besides, isn't the 3ph on those machines a weird CAT 0/ CAT 1 hybrid, with CAT 1 pins, CAT 0 spacing of the arms and a CAT 0 top link?

    If it's a power tool you need, buy a one man auger for like $250. For $1000, buy 4 and give the other three out as parting gifts to some friends in exchange for a little help!

    Seriously, if you have enough doubts to ask on a forum about whether it will work, that should stop you right there.

    Al

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts