Like Tree34Likes

Thread: John Deere D120 Loader vs H120 Loader: Comparison Video

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks

John Deere D120 Loader vs H120 Loader: Comparison Video

Howdy,

I can tell Spring is here as inquiries have really started picking up. Spring Fever is kicking in and I've got it bad. So, here's another video comparing a couple different front end loaders that potential buyers will see in the used market. In particular, this is a video comparing the John Deere D120 loader vs the H120 loader. These loaders are found on the John Deere 1 Series family of tractors including the 1023e, 1025r, and 1026r. There's some significant differences, so be an educated buyer! You'll even see a quick comparison against a Kubota quick park loader. Hope this helps!

Oh, and please Like the video and Subscribe to my YouTube channel!

Here's a link to watch on YouTube!

fdmars, BigJim55, Marlin and 3 others like this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GWT3046r For This Useful Post:

Marlin (04-11-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Thanks
    Been a subscriber for a while.

This is a good topic this time of year.

I am a while off from doing anything but I do find myself looking at more and more Kubota videos. I have to say I wish JD would make the joystick controller more like the Kubota where it is easier to operate both the curl/dump functions at the same time as the up/down. It is just easier on the Kubota and less jerky. That and there is something to be said for the SSQA and more flexibility.

I just don't know that I could bring myself to own anything not green.

I guess when I was a kid (4-5 years old) I was told that an aunt knew I liked tractors and she bought me a toy tractor to play with. It wasn't green and I threw it.. I don't know that I ever had a trike but I sure remember learning to back up the trailer on my John Deere Pedal Tractor. Still have it.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,089 Times in 2,254 Posts
    Great! There have been a couple “unaware” buyers here that ended up with a D120 without knowing it - until it was too late.

This goes along with watching out for those advertised package deals some dealers publish - you absolutely have to look at the fine print and go over the tractor with a fine tooth comb.

Know what you are buying! This video will really help!
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Great! There have been a couple “unaware” buyers here that ended up with a D120 without knowing it - until it was too late.

This goes along with watching out for those advertised package deals some dealers publish - you absolutely have to look at the fine print and go over the tractor with a fine tooth comb.

Know what you are buying! This video will really help!
    Yep, that's one of the easier things to overlook on those sub-compacts. Can greatly affect valuation of the machine too.
    coaltrain, Drifterbike and Robnik like this.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Been a subscriber for a while.

This is a good topic this time of year.

I am a while off from doing anything but I do find myself looking at more and more Kubota videos. I have to say I wish JD would make the joystick controller more like the Kubota where it is easier to operate both the curl/dump functions at the same time as the up/down. It is just easier on the Kubota and less jerky. That and there is something to be said for the SSQA and more flexibility.

I just don't know that I could bring myself to own anything not green.

I guess when I was a kid (4-5 years old) I was told that an aunt knew I liked tractors and she bought me a toy tractor to play with. It wasn't green and I threw it.. I don't know that I ever had a trike but I sure remember learning to back up the trailer on my John Deere Pedal Tractor. Still have it.
    I sell my fair share of Kubota's. I do love my JD, but Kubota makes some nice stuff as well. My biggest pet peave with Kubota is their treadle pedal. I simply cannot get used to it. Ever. Well, I also hate the models with the foot brake placed directly above the forward motion foot pedal. Seems like a recipe for disaster. However, they do have the advantage with the dual action joystick capability.
    coaltrain, Marlin and Robnik like this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goodworkstractors View Post
    I sell my fair share of Kubota's. I do love my JD, but Kubota makes some nice stuff as well. My biggest pet peave with Kubota is their treadle pedal. I simply cannot get used to it. Ever. Well, I also hate the models with the foot brake placed directly above the forward motion foot pedal. Seems like a recipe for disaster. However, they do have the advantage with the dual action joystick capability.
    X Series also has brake pedal above motion. So I am used to that. I agree with the treadle pedal. Well, never used one in person but not sure I like it. Oh, I also like the flat face hydraulic couplers vs pioneer style that JD uses.

Are all JD machines like this with the lack of dual action joystick? I have noticed it on the 1025R and I suspect the current 2025R is the same since it is basically the same machine. Not a joystick but my X585 is this way as well. What about the 3025E or 3032E? I have never looked at them that close but if I ultimately decide that I don't need a mid PTO, then an E might be an option as I wouldn't have a need to remove the FEL. The only time I do it now is to put the blade or blower on. I think with a heavier machine I could get by with no blower and use a snow pusher. I have mentioned in other posts that this is the first winter in 4 years that I have used the blower. I mainly used it because the X wasn't heavy enough and I was having a hard time widening the driveway enough. I could have done it but it was easier to just put the blower on rather than fight with it. The money saved by skipping the blower/blade from a 2025R would likely cover the jump to a 3032E with snow pusher.

I am not going to do that for a couple years though.
    Drifterbike and Robnik like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Getting back to the video.

I don't know that there is a difference but it might have been nice to see if there are any differences in rage of motion between the two models. For instance if the geometry of the arms are different once might have a taller reach than the other. That is one area that I find myself coming up short right now. I can't lift my small generator high enough to get on the shelf above my propane tanks on the camper unless I build a ramp with blocks of wood.

Also you mentioned a difference in lift capability but that there is inconsistent data on this. Do you have a bunch of suitcase weights laying around? Maybe try a lift test? In thinking about this I could see where the D version can lift more than a H version. They are on the same tractor so assuming they are both to factory spec the implement pressure and flow rates should be the same. If the cylinders are basically the same they should lift the same amount of weight. However the bucket on the H is bigger also it has the JD Quick Attach where the D has a pinned on bucket. That will eat in a little to the lifting capacity. Not hundreds of pounds difference but it will eat into the capacity if all else is equal.
    Robnik likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 08:55 PM
    Thanks
    Is there much of a difference between the H120 and the 120R loader?

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    05-06-2018 @ 11:21 AM
    Thanks
    Any time I have gone with the cheap, I almost always regret it later on. Electric windows, air conditioning, and electric door locks used to be considered a luxury option on a car purchase. Not sure you can even buy a car without now. If you find a car with out those options, it would be one cheapo junk box. My advice spend a few more bucks and go with the H120.
    coaltrain, Robnik and goat704! like this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,422 Posts
    If anyone is considering any of the tractors, whether it's equipped with the D, the H, or R model loaders, regardless of the size of the SCUT or CUT, they should have the seller demonstrate the actual process of removing the loader and reinstalling it as the D series loader would be ruled out immediately. The ONLY advantage of the D series is the lower initial cost. This should be part of any basic operational instructions a new owner should receive and this highlights the severe limitations of the D series loaders when compared to the H120 or the 120R loaders.

Any "new tractor" owner is unlikely to fully comprehend the range of use and how they will ultimately use the machine. While they may have ideas on how they intend to use it, once they get it home and experience the flexibility and wide range of potential uses, the scope of projects will almost certainly expand. It's the very same reason why anyone who buys a tractor with the FEL should also buy the pallet forks with it immediately. In truth, the pallet forks are such a useful tool in so many ways and make lifting a wide range of items MUCH safer. In truth, the thing I use my pallet forks for the LEAST is lifting pallets. They are incredibly handy for picking up a wide range of things, including as shown in the picture below.

Deere has really got the 120R loader well engineered for the 1 series tractor. There are many circumstances where using the tractor without the loader out front is easier and even safer. A couple of minutes (tops) and the loader not only parks itself when taken off, it brings itself to the tractor when re attaching it and sets the loader arms right on the frame mounts and then rotates itself into position and locks the parking frame out of the way all automatically as part of the process of re-attaching the loader to the tractor.

As easy as it is to remove and reinstall, there isn't a hesitation to take the FEL off or put it back on depending upon the tasks at hand. This is precisely what a "Utility Tractor" should be, very flexible to meet a variety of uses and tasks. Deere has this edge in the Utility tractor market and it's a big advantage and very valuable feature.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171122_115536250.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	589138 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171122_115411373.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	589146
    Marlin, mwfromva, stg454 and 2 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast