Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Plans and/or pics for a rolling storage rack for a 47" snow blower

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-27-2019 @ 08:48 PM
    Thanks

Plans and/or pics for a rolling storage rack for a 47" snow blower

I'm still waiting for my new 1025 to arrive, but as I'm crunched for space in my garage I was wondering if any if anyone has designed a platform to allow the snowblower to be off loaded onto and then pushed around as needed to be out of the way. I envision four casters on some type of decking (plywood?) but that being said I'm not sure if this is even possible and still be able to hook it back up again.

After reading all the various issues the JD has I'm a bit worried or is this just normal OMG it's coming soon syndrome....
    If Your Not Living on the Edge, Your Taking Up Too Much Space

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    bob
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy Bottom View Post
    I'm still waiting for my new 1025 to arrive, but as I'm crunched for space in my garage I was wondering if any if anyone has designed a platform to allow the snowblower to be off loaded onto and then pushed around as needed to be out of the way. I envision four casters on some type of decking (plywood?) but that being said I'm not sure if this is even possible and still be able to hook it back up again.

After reading all the various issues the JD has I'm a bit worried or is this just normal OMG it's coming soon syndrome....
    I got a piece of plywood and cut it into four 2' x 4' pieces. I then glued/screwed two of the pieces together. I did the same with the other two pieces. I added casters that swivel and I then had two very efficient roll carts...one for my snowblower and one for my rototiller. They make moving both implements in my garage or shed very easy. When I remove the snowblower or tiller they always go on their cart. The tiller and snowblower can both be attached off the carts very easily. Harbor Freight sell moving dollies that might work for a less expensive alternative.
    2011 John Deere 1026R
    H120 FEL with 53 inch bucket
    60D Auto-Connect mower deck
    54 inch snowblower
    647 tiller
    i-match
    Heavy Hitch
    TuffTop
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    ballast box
    wheel weights
    steering wheel spinner knob

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bob For This Useful Post:

Foggy Bottom (11-05-2014)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    $16.99 at Harbor Freight (they have a plastic with steel reinforcement for $19.99)

1000 lb. Hardwood Mover's Dolly

I like the wood one and will be picking some of them up for my ballast box, boxblade, etc.

Even if it needs reinforcement, you can hardly get the casters for that price. Throw a couple thicker pieces of wood on it and you're good to go.
    HydroHarold and tj1 like this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sstlaure For This Useful Post:

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 2,310 Posts
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 09:15 PM
    Thanks
    I don't have a blower but I built a platform for my 54" plow. Essentially I just took a pallet, nailed 3/4" plywood top and bottom, mounted casters to the bottom and built a crossbar about 24" up off the platform. I slide my Artillian Forks in on one side, spin it around and set the plow on the other side. Mine is actually bigger (40"x48") than it needs to be so I'm going to cut it down a bit this weekend (to 40"x30").

Come this winter I can pull straight into the garage drop the loader, back the tractor out of the garage, back the tractor back into the garage again and hook the plow up. Once I push the cart out of the way everything is all set to go plowing.
    HydroHarold, Levi and tj1 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    04-27-2019 @ 08:48 PM
    Thanks

Thanks for the info

Thanks to all for the feedback. I didn't want to reinvent the wheel again for something simple. Looks like I'll be visiting Harbor Freight this weekend
    If Your Not Living on the Edge, Your Taking Up Too Much Space

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks

Storage cart for 54" Snow Blower

Except for the steel-wheel castors (3", about $6.50 at Home Depot), I built my storage cart from lumber and hardware I already had around. For the 54" inch snow blower, the dimensions of the cart are 60" long by 18" wide. The length is long enough that if, in the future, I must put the shoes on the outside of the blower, everything will still fit okay. For a 47" blower, I would just subtract 7" for the length. The width was selected so that the back end of the blower extends a bit beyond the cart. This allows the front quick hitch room to pick up or drop off the blower without any interference from the cart. I'm confident that the depth dimension should be the same for the 47" blower. The height from the ground to the top surface of the cart is 5 3/4". This is the height of the castors plus a 2 by 4. This was the perfect height for connecting with the quick hitch.

I recessed the bolts on the top surface so that they won't scratch the blower. (I also recessed them on the bottom because the hardware I already had was just a little too short.) At the front end of the cart, the weight is born by the shoes and is right over the wheels. At the back of the cart, the weight is in the center. I haven't seen any bowing on my cart from this, but if I do I'll simply add a wheel or 2 in the middle back of the cart. I always use steel wheel castors. I've learned the hard way that some plastic or whatever castors will develop a flat spot with weight on them and they are very hard to roll when this happens. The 3" wheels easily traverse the expansion joints in my driveway.

Keane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-11-06 15.35.46.jpg   2014-11-06 15.36.01.jpg   2014-11-06 15.36.13.jpg   2014-11-06 15.36.30.jpg  

13. The Following User Says Thank You to keane For This Useful Post:

cwlumbra (12-20-2015)

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	248.4 KB 
ID:	86033

Not a blower, but the idea is still the same. I just bolted 4 swivel casters onto the bottom of a pallet. I keep a couple of them around for moving heavy things in the garage or barn. Plus, they can still be picked with a forklift if needed.
    Last edited by RandyM; 11-17-2015 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Turned pic
    Gizmo2 and GSM like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

15. Top | #9

Last Online
    12-21-2017 @ 03:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sstlaure View Post
    $16.99 at Harbor Freight (they have a plastic with steel reinforcement for $19.99)

1000 lb. Hardwood Mover's Dolly

I like the wood one and will be picking some of them up for my ballast box, boxblade, etc.

Even if it needs reinforcement, you can hardly get the casters for that price. Throw a couple thicker pieces of wood on it and you're good to go.

This is what I use for the blower and it works great. Haven't figured out rototiller yet because Manuel says tiller shouldn't be stored resting on tines long term. Want it resting on side depth skids.

Phil d
    Phil d

2014 1025r, FEL, 54D mmm, 647 Tiller, 54" Quick Hitch Blower, Power Flow MCS, JD Aeriator, JD Dethatcher.

16. Top | #10
    bob
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Phil D;411153]This is what I use for the blower and it works great. Haven't figured out rototiller yet because Manuel says tiller shouldn't be stored resting on tines long term. Want it resting on side depth skids.

I don't think it matters that the tiller is stored long term on the tines.....unless it is stored outside...on dirt.
    2011 John Deere 1026R
    H120 FEL with 53 inch bucket
    60D Auto-Connect mower deck
    54 inch snowblower
    647 tiller
    i-match
    Heavy Hitch
    TuffTop
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    ballast box
    wheel weights
    steering wheel spinner knob