sand spreader

Thread: sand spreader

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-11-2016 @ 10:26 AM
    Thanks

sand spreader

I have a herd 5.5 spreader that I bought of CL it's been painted JD green to match my 2320 of course. I have no manuals and haven't been able to find much information about it online. My question is, it has a small weeping leak around the PTO seal and I periodically need to add gear oil (this is what I was told as I have not used it yet) how much gear oil is needed? Do I remove the fill screw and fill until that point? The fill screw is on the front of the gear box only about half way up it. What weight gear oil is best? Should I use a heavier weight to minimize the leaking? Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,148 Times in 2,305 Posts
    It's common practice with these gear boxes to fill it just as you say - fill until it starts to come out the fill hole.

Also common to use 90W gear oil - I wouldn't use anything heavier.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks! I was told by the previous owner that it should be operated at 1200 rpm not at the 540pto rating. Is that also common?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    The spreader I just picked up has a "Sealed" gear box and it says to refill with grease if service is needed. I posted some pics of my unit on this thread. http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...eader-one.html With a little help from Google I was able to get an online PDF of my manual. My unit is a 540 PTO unit. What splines to you have on your spreader's PTO? 540 RPM units have larger splines than a 1,000 RPM unit. 1,000 RPM PTOs have twice as many splines. If my memory serves me. What the seller may have "Meant" is that he uses his 1,000 RPM pto at around 1,200 engine rpm. We do that on the farm all the time when the PTO implement doesn't use much power. As an example. The grain cart I was running yesterday has a 540 RPM PTO input. The auger doesn't require that much power so dad has the PTO set to 1,000 RPM instead of 540. That way your engine is just off of idle to get the PTO to spin at 540 RPM's. Hope this makes sense. Most of the AG tractors I've been around have either option. On some older models there will be 2 PTO outputs shafts on the tractor. The top has more splines and is the 1,000 and the lower one is the 540. The newer tractors have an output shaft that can be swapped out.

With my spreader I didn't run it at 540 as the broadcast was way more than I was wanting. I ran mine about 1/2 throttle. You control the flow with the levers and the width of broadcast with the PTO RPM. I don't have a lot of "open" areas so I was looking to hit a 15' swath. I think at 540 PTO RPM and all the way up mine will shoot double that with heavy material. Seed would just be a mess. Lots of factors come into play when using these little spreaders. Don't be affraid to try some stuff just to see how it goes. Cheap grass seed will teach you a lot about what to expect.

Last edited by 636mullet; 11-10-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks! I'm using my spreader for sand during the winter. If rmp is just about broadcast distance I'm not to worried. My rpm concern was more about damage to the gear box if spun up to fast.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements