Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Tiller options for the SCUT

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-07-2019 @ 06:44 AM
    Thanks

Tiller options for the SCUT

I know there's a lot of threads on this and I have done a ton of research sifting through those threads but I'm having trouble on my decision. I need a tiller for my 1025R and I see the best option is for sure a 4' tiller so I'm good there. It seams the majority of people go with either the King Kutter or the TSC CountryLine tiller for their SCUT.

Comparing between the two; the CountryLine is a bit less than the KK. Any real reason to spend a bit extra for the KK over the CL? I know the KK is not quick hitch compatible, but I cannot find any information about the Country Line being compatible with a quick hitch; is it?

Also I see the depth only shows 4" on the specs for the Countryline, but the KK depth was double that. Is that realistic?

My local JD dealer has a Woods tiller coming in but it is $600 more than the TSC Countryline tiller. The JD tiller is an extra $1k so definitively not going that route. I like the idea of purchasing through the dealer since they would support repairs, I'm just not sure it's worth the extra cost. What happens when the TSC tiller breaks? Are parts readily available? Do shops work on these?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    08-19-2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Thanks
    Timely thread. I am planning (hoping?) to go get the CountyLine tiller from Tractor Supply this weekend. I have read a lot on this and still don't feel that I fully understand what's going on. It is my understanding that the CL is quick-hitch compatible (hoping again).

IMHO, the 4" depth is perfectly fine as I would imagine that is about all a SCUT (like a 1025R or my 2305) is going to be able to do, especially depending on the type of soil being tilled.

I think the CL is built by Tarter (?) so parts, etc., should be available. These things appear to be built like tanks.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    Mike
    2305 with: Loader, 54” MMM, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, 4' TSC (Tarter) Tiller, 54” Snow Plow, 3-point receiver hitch

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,279 Posts
    First things first, the County Line is iMATCH ready, just put the bushing kit on and go. I have a 48", definitely runs about 6-8" on a second pass through the gardens. KK is a very good tiller as well, really can't go wrong with either one, I went with the CL because TSC is near me.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by commguy View Post
    I know there's a lot of threads on this and I have done a ton of research sifting through those threads but I'm having trouble on my decision. I need a tiller for my 1025R and I see the best option is for sure a 4' tiller so I'm good there. It seams the majority of people go with either the King Kutter or the TSC CountryLine tiller for their SCUT.

Comparing between the two; the CountryLine is a bit less than the KK. Any real reason to spend a bit extra for the KK over the CL? I know the KK is not quick hitch compatible, but I cannot find any information about the Country Line being compatible with a quick hitch; is it?

Also I see the depth only shows 4" on the specs for the Countryline, but the KK depth was double that. Is that realistic?

My local JD dealer has a Woods tiller coming in but it is $600 more than the TSC Countryline tiller. The JD tiller is an extra $1k so definitively not going that route. I like the idea of purchasing through the dealer since they would support repairs, I'm just not sure it's worth the extra cost. What happens when the TSC tiller breaks? Are parts readily available? Do shops work on these?

Thanks in advance.
    The company is supposed to direct you or "help you locate" and authorized service center if it's a warranty issue. Otherwise, it's going to be whatever tractor dealer or repair shop you can get to fix it, that is assuming you can't or won't be fixing it yourself.

TSC, from what I have been told, can "send some equipment out for repairs" just as the big box stores (Lowe's, HD, etc,.) where they have a "service center" somewhere that handles the repairs. I do know that in the case of our local "Big Box stores" they will literally "fill a trailer" with stuff needing repairs and when the trailer is full, out it goes and it comes back when the trailer comes back. That means that some people were waiting 8 to 10 weeks this winter for their snow blowers, so you can imagine how happy they are......

I know that Rural King, which is a store chain out of either Illinois or Missouri, is similar to a TSC but they are now launching "In Store Small engine and Lawn and Garden Repairs" within a store run service center. While this is certainly better than the "load the trailer" approach, I happen to know the guy hired to be our Rural King's first "Service Manager" as he was previously employed as a service writer at Deere.

Also, the reality is that I don't hear too many people having trouble with these tillers, to be honest. I guess with the money saved, if you did have to pay a local "Small Engine Repair" shop to repair it for you, it might still make sense.

Of all the people who run tillers on various equipment here on GTT, I honestly can't recall too many having problems. Make sure to keep it greased well, try to store it inside out of the elements if possible and make sure the gear box is full of the right kind of oil and you will probably be OK.

Also, there seems to be a fair number of people who buy tillers and don't use them as they planned, so I see them on Craigslist and other sites for sale. A good brand used machine might be an option if they are available in your area. Usually, they come up for sale around the end of summer as people are done with them or realize another season where they didn't use it and now it's time to sell it.

I would stop by and talk with your local store manager and ask them specifically about the repairs and how they handle them. See what they say. I know I was at TSC recently looking at a fertilizer spreader and they had a retired guy in the back who put the stuff together and he "fiddled with them". The spreader I was looking at was assembled incorrectly and I pointed that out. He told me that he would fix it, but I ended up not wanting that brand anyways......

One last thing. Talk to whomever services your non Deere lawn equipment and see if they can and would work on the tiller for you if you needed something done. If you have a relationship with someone and you like them, why not have them work on the tiller if it should need repairs? It's worth asking them...... In the case of warranty work, You would have to pay, but at least you would have a repair source and maybe if it is pre arranged with the manufacturer, they might reimburse some of the warranty costs, it's worth checking..

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    First things first, the County Line is iMATCH ready, just put the bushing kit on and go. I have a 48", definitely runs about 6-8" on a second pass through the gardens. KK is a very good tiller as well, really can't go wrong with either one, I went with the CL because TSC is near me.
    To the Original Poster on this thread, pick up a set of the I Match bushings when you are at the Deere dealer and anything which will fit the Category 1 should be able to have these bushings installed on it and then it will work with the I Match. I suggest keeping a set of these on your shelf or in your spare parts inventory so you have them as any 3 ph implement you ever add or use, you will want these on it. They take just a few minutes to put on and a ball peen hammer.

I have read where some have had to modify the Harbor Freight and other "Quick Hitch" "adapters" by grinding out material or modifying the center hook. If you have skills and tools, then this isn't a concern. If you don't have a grinder or such tools or the confidence to modify the Non Deere units, just spend the money and get the Deere I Match adapter and be done with it.

The I-Match is clearly a great item to have on any tractor.......I use mine nearly every day and it makes hooking up and dropping 3ph implements as simple as it could be..........................That's why you rarely see the I Match hitches for sale used as everyone who has a Deere tractor owns one and uses it and wouldn't want to be without it.
    BigJim55, Herminator and PJR832 like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Thanks

My Tiller Post

Here's a link to the post when I bought my Tiller from Agri Supply if you have one near you.

It's been over a year, a couple of gardens (mine and some neighbors) - no problems so far.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...r-77709-a.html
    2015 JD 1025R TLB-Setup (Dealer Installed Backhoe & Power Beyond)
    H120 Loader & 260 Backhoe
    60D MMM with Auto Connect & Ind. Hydraulic Lift
    JD I-match Quick Hitch
    Agri Supply CGR-48 Tiller (77709) & 48" Clamp on Debris Fork (87636)
    Yard Tuff 3-Pt. Plug Aerator (Northern Tool)
    42" Titan Forks w/ 2" Trailer Receiver
    HH Toothbar, Rear 2" Rec. Hitch Plate & 3-in-1 Trailer Tow Hitch
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks, Seat Springs, Differential Lock Pedal Ext.
    JD Forward Lighting Kit & Rear Work Light

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    05-06-2018 @ 11:21 AM
    Thanks
    I think it boils down to money, muscle and mentality. If you like setting things up and tinkering The King Kutter and Harbor Freight Quick hitch are cheaper and pretty darn good. The King Kutter 48 inch is a Beast. But takes some work to make it quick hitch compatible. My 1025R with the H120 loader can lift it but not by much.

If you want more of a turn key set up and have the coin, go green. As I travel through the journey of life, I get better looking every year. But I don't get any richer. So I went with the Harbor Freight and KK 48 XB. I believe the KK was $1279.00 and the HF quick hitch was $80.00.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    04-07-2019 @ 06:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the information! I just ordered the country line tiller from TSC and I'll go pick it up tomorrow. Is any assembly required or they come ready to go?

It sounds like all I'll need to pick up in addition to the tiller is gear oil? Any specific kind? And how much?

I think I'll pick up the imatch hitch if it's really that much better. They're $340 at my JD dealer.
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Thanks

Yes you will have to assemble

I have the CL 48" Tarter and it needs oil and the upper attachments must be put together and bolted on. They have a good manual you can download at the Tarter website. Good Luck I am sure you will enjoy it.

2017 1025R with turf tires
    H120 FEL with 53" Bucket Quick Change
    54" Autoconnect Mower, mulch kit and hyd mower lift
    54" Quick-Hitch Two Stage Snow Blower Hyd Rotator with Remote Spout Cap kit
    Ballast box with tubes
    IMatch
    Engine blanket
    LED lights
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks and rear hitch
    Country Time/Tarter 48" Tiller
    Titan carriage & 42" forks

PS Everyone knows what a 1025R looks like so my Avatar is a picture of my two girls!!!

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by commguy View Post
    I think I'll pick up the imatch hitch if it's really that much better. They're $340 at my JD dealer.
    JD has a 15% off promotion until the end of the month on the IMATCH & ballast box.

https://www.deere.com/en/finance/off...h-quick-hitch/
    PJR832 likes this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast