Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Give or take with grapples...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-23-2018 @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks

Give or take with grapples...

Ive been in the market for a grapple for my 2006 4120. After narrowing my choices I have one last hurdle that I cant find a nice compromise for. Opening width of the top clamps. There really does not seem to be a nice compromise when it comes to what will fit my tractor.
    I really had my heart set on the MTL RK5 until I realized that the clamp opening is only 26" That is super narrow for picking up stacked brush piles. Not to mention one will be limited to smaller stumps etc etc.
    The grapples that offer a much wider opening have a very shallow tine depth on the bottom of the grapple. while this is good for root work I feel that performance suffers when trying to handle brush and logs etc etc.
    The only way that I have found to over come this is stepping up to a skid steer grapple which puts the grapple in the 700-900 pound range. That is far to heavy for the 4120/
    So, can anyone here offer any real world experience with grapples in the 650 pound or less range?
    Please keep in mind that I want to stay away from the light duty stuff at all costs.
    Thanks for any and all input.
    rtgt likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-16-2018 @ 05:37 AM
    Thanks

Grapple Suggestion

I have an EA grapple, so I might be a little biased. This 60” Model has a 37” opening and only weighs 382 pounds.
    Have had mine for a couple of years and it’s very strong and handy as pockets on pants. I have the dual lid model. Some prefer the single lid though. Www.everythingattachments.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18D4E93C-13D7-4626-BF6E-03170D9F5192.jpeg 
Views:	306 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	598682
    mjncad, Kennyd, Zebrafive and 3 others like this.
    2001 John Deere 4300 MFWD with 420 FEL, Woods BH 70 backhoe, Bush Hog 60" rotary cutter, Everything Attachments wicked grapple, Artillian diverter kit and hoses, 6' box blade, Springtooth plow, carryall. Power beyond kit and one remote. Towing it with a Dodge Ram 3500 and a 22' tilt trailer.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    05-23-2018 @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Imaybail View Post
    I have an EA grapple, so I might be a little biased. This 60” Model has a 37” opening and only weighs 382 pounds.
    Have had mine for a couple of years and it’s very strong and handy as pockets on pants. I have the dual lid model. Some prefer the single lid though. Www.everythingattachments.com

Name:	18D4E93C-13D7-4626-BF6E-03170D9F5192.jpeg 
Views:	306 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	598682
    Is yours the same as the wicked model from everything attachments?
    How do you find it working when you stick a brush pile to pick it up? Seems to me with the angled bottom at the tips one would have to adjust the angle of attack to pick up brush efficiently.
    Do you have any videos of you working with it?
    rtgt and greenharley like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-16-2018 @ 05:37 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by getafterit View Post
    Is yours the same as the wicked model from everything attachments? Yes, mine is the Wicked model with dual lids.
    How do you find it working when you stick a brush pile to pick it up? Seems to me with the angled bottom at the tips one would have to adjust the angle of attack to pick up brush efficiently. You do have to angle it down some when pushing into a brush pile to get under it, or come down from the top and grab it that way.
    Don’t have any of me working in brush piles, but have this one of clearing small trees.

https://youtu.be/r1mtfxLNDYY
    rtgt, BigJim55 and greenharley like this.
    2001 John Deere 4300 MFWD with 420 FEL, Woods BH 70 backhoe, Bush Hog 60" rotary cutter, Everything Attachments wicked grapple, Artillian diverter kit and hoses, 6' box blade, Springtooth plow, carryall. Power beyond kit and one remote. Towing it with a Dodge Ram 3500 and a 22' tilt trailer.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    I have the Woods 65", which is 680# and made for full size skidsteers up to 10Klbs IIRC. I've smashed it into stumps, picked the rear end up more times than I can count, pried root balls out of the ground, and generally treated it like I don't love it (which is not true!): it keeps on delivering smiles.

Name:	Maple stump trail cam.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	598706
    fdmars, rtgt, BigJim55 and 6 others like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 12:55 PM
    Thanks

W R Long

I have the W R Long 4 in 1 bucket, it's a tank and I've had zero problems. Check out their Grapples as I'm sure they have the same quality.

https://www.wrlonginc.com/grapples
    rtgt, greenharley and johncanfield like this.
    JD 3032E, D160 FEL, Beet Juice, i Match, JD Ballast Box, W R Long 4 in 1 bucket, Edge Tamers, RB2072, Ken's Bolt on Hooks, Action TrackChair ST-22, Stihl 291

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Thanks

Using a grapple on brush

Quote Originally Posted by getafterit View Post
    Is yours the same as the wicked model from everything attachments?
    How do you find it working when you stick a brush pile to pick it up? Seems to me with the angled bottom at the tips one would have to adjust the angle of attack to pick up brush efficiently.
    My son taught me the best way to use a grapple on brush. I slide the grapple with the points angled slightly down under the edge of the pile until it starts to compress. Then while still moving slowly forward roll the grapple down and elevate the lift arms until the grapple is almost at 90 degrees to the ground. Close grapple, roll it back and lift. It sounds complicated but once mastered you get a full load pretty much every time.

I understand your dilemma on getting the right grapple but don't agonize too long. I've got a grapple off a mini skid steer and it's not perfect but is way, way better than no grapple at all. I wish it had a wider opening, teeth closed slightly closer to each other and had more closing hydraulic power. Even with it's faults, anyone trying to take it away had better have a better one to give me or there would be a fight. . .

Treefarmer
    Zebrafive, rtgt, mark02tj and 5 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 08:08 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    My son taught me the best way to use a grapple on brush. I slide the grapple with the points angled slightly down under the edge of the pile until it starts to compress. Then while still moving slowly forward roll the grapple down and elevate the lift arms until the grapple is almost at 90 degrees to the ground. Close grapple, roll it back and lift. It sounds complicated but once mastered you get a full load pretty much every time.

I understand your dilemma on getting the right grapple but don't agonize too long. I've got a grapple off a mini skid steer and it's not perfect but is way, way better than no grapple at all. I wish it had a wider opening, teeth closed slightly closer to each other and had more closing hydraulic power. Even with it's faults, anyone trying to take it away had better have a better one to give me or there would be a fight. . .

Treefarmer
    This is the most effective method for picking up piles of brush I have found, it is very effective even for my 2r series and my Artillian grapple with a single lid.
    rtgt, mtrmn, Treefarmer and 1 others like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks

Treefarmer
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    This is the most effective method for picking up piles of brush I have found, it is very effective even for my 2r series and my Artillian grapple with a single lid.
    Also how I pick up small brush piles. I've been pulling Autumn Olive. Making a pile. When the pile looks like a full grapple load I pick it and carry to the burn pile
    rtgt and greenharley like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:10 PM
    Thanks
    Dad taught me this same trick, as it also works well for getting the best bite on large round bales. With larger tractors/loaders of course.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast