• 2 Post By mericanjd
  • 1 Post By Herminator

Thread: 2 Row Planter Project

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks

2 Row Planter Project

So during our extended winter here in MN I had wild hair to come up with a project for myself.

To make planting my sweet corn patch easier and give me a reason to use my 2038r I thought I would build myself a 2 row planter.

It started as an John Deere 8 row 7000 planter a friend of mine had sitting out in the grove. He came to me wanting a 4 row planter to plant wet areas. So we made a deal that I would build his 4 row in exchange for the other 4 row units left over.

When I was build the 4 row I decided to leave the original transmission attached in the original position for him since he would probably need to be able to change the population more than I would.

So after I finished the 4 row I had to come up with a way to drive my 2 row planter. After some careful measuring to see what kind of row spacing would work best behind the 2038r I came up with 22 inch rows as to stay between the wheels of the tractor. My next issue was that there was limit space between the row units for a drive wheel. So I scrounged up some parts and came up with a hydraulic drive system for the planter.

The drive consists of a flow control valve and an orbit motor. Since the 2038r has a constant flow switch for the rear outlet I thought this would be the perfect setup for what I'm trying to accomplish.

I have got everything plumbed and turning nicely. Now I'm just waiting to get some seed so that I can start working out the calculations of how fast the planter must rotate to how fast the tractor will be moving.

I am open to any constructive criticism you may have.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    Looks good, no criticism. You should set the speed to something where it drops a seed every 7” between 3 and 5mph. The only comment would be most pickers, cultivators, etc. are set for 30”or 36” rows. Even a one row picker gets tight at 25”. If it is for a food plot none of that matters.

Your 2038r has e throttle, it will be interesting to see if the speed and hydraulic flow rate picks up at a comparible rate where you could speed up or slow down an maintain some sort of similar spacing.
    DRobinson, BigJim55 and mericanjd like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Thanks
    If we are dreaming here,,,

I would fill that main beam with steel, or lead, and add two no-till coulters in front of the planter units.

The added weight would require that rather wide gauge wheels also be added to that square beam.
    That would be OK, anything that makes the planter unit highly repeatable, will increase the population of seed that grows correctly.

Gauge wheels will make the planter repeatable, and easier to set up, and control.

You will be ready to no-till plant, should the need arise, and the no-till coulters will give the soil a final fluffing prior to seed planting.
    BigJim55 and mericanjd like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    Looks good, no criticism. You should set the speed to something where it drops a seed every 7” between 3 and 5mph. The only comment would be most pickers, cultivators, etc. are set for 30”or 36” rows. Even a one row picker gets tight at 25”. If it is for a food plot none of that matters.

Your 2038r has e throttle, it will be interesting to see if the speed and hydraulic flow rate picks up at a comparible rate where you could speed up or slow down an maintain some sort of similar spacing.
    The row spacing is a non issue really because my pickers are of the 2 legged variety. I just wanted to keep from packing the ground in front row units so I get good planting depth.

As far as the hydraulic flow when the engine speeds up I have tested that and it seems to remain constant no matter what rpm you are running once the valve is set.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    If we are dreaming here,,,

I would fill that main beam with steel, or lead, and add two no-till coulters in front of the planter units.

The added weight would require that rather wide gauge wheels also be added to that square beam.
    That would be OK, anything that makes the planter unit highly repeatable, will increase the population of seed that grows correctly.

Gauge wheels will make the planter repeatable, and easier to set up, and control.

You will be ready to no-till plant, should the need arise, and the no-till coulters will give the soil a final fluffing prior to seed planting.
    I had thought of filling the beam for the added weight but I would also need to add the down pressure spring to the parallel links on the row units to transfer the added weight to the units.

For the repeatability of setting the planter I plan on setting the 3 pt so that the parallel links on the row units are parallel to the ground and then moving the stop on the 3 pt lever so that is goes back to that position everytime.

I have considered putting no till coulters, but at the moment I have no need since I will be using my 5 ft king kutter tiller to prepared the ground for planting. So the soil should be nice and loose for planting.

This planter is in the testing phase so I will be making adjustments or changes as needed. When I get all the details for operating it figured out I do plan on building another one.

I do appreciate all the opinions and ideas you guys come up with. You guys may see some I totally missed and may make the operation of the planter easier.

DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    01-26-2019 @ 12:01 AM
    Thanks
    are you getting the hydraulics from the power beyond, or a remote?
    BigJim55 likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisc1985 View Post
    are you getting the hydraulics from the power beyond, or a remote?
    I'm using the rear outlet that has the constant flow switch.

BigJim55 and lewisc1985 like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    01-26-2019 @ 12:01 AM
    Thanks
    interesting, I didn't realize the 2038 had that capability!

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mericanjd View Post

As far as the hydraulic flow when the engine speeds up I have tested that and it seems to remain constant no matter what rpm you are running once the valve is set.

Even better.

Quote Originally Posted by mericanjd View Post
    I had thought of filling the beam for the added weight but I would also need to add the down pressure spring to the parallel links on the row units to transfer the added weight to the units.

For the repeatability of setting the planter I plan on setting the 3 pt so that the parallel links on the row units are parallel to the ground and then moving the stop on the 3 pt lever so that is goes back to that position everytime.

I have considered putting no till coulters, but at the moment I have no need since I will be using my 5 ft king kutter tiller to prepared the ground for planting. So the soil should be nice and loose for planting.

This planter is in the testing phase so I will be making adjustments or changes as needed. When I get all the details for operating it figured out I do plan on building another one.

I do appreciate all the opinions and ideas you guys come up with. You guys may see some I totally missed and may make the operation of the planter easier.

One nice thing about those units is if you set them to 2 inches deep that’s what they will plant whether it is rototilled dirt or a table top. You don’t have to worry about where you set the three-point because the planter units float and the depth is set by the gauge wheels beside the Double V openers. For leveling the planter put a level on the top of planter frame by the seed or insecticide box and move the top link in or out until it is level when sitting on the ground . But I might be misunderstanding what you said. If you are in something really hard or trying to go really deep past 2 inches you can either add weight to the row unit or use the springs. You may not even need to add weight to the beam for the springs to work. Even when not rototilled it will not take more than 100 pounds of weight to make it do what you want and some of that is just to counteract the lift from the spring on the closing wheels. I don’t think the spring pressure might raise that beam it looks heavy. Again if rototilled It will plant just like it is.
    Last edited by Herminator; 04-25-2018 at 06:51 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements