Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Best MCS Setup

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-25-2018 @ 04:51 PM
    Thanks

Best MCS Setup

Hi All,

I have a 1023e with iMatch. I'm looking for a bagger preferably with dump function.

I quickly looked into Protero and Superior Tech.

Protero shipped to CT (all in) is $3,400. I recall others getting this for less in the past. I like this one because it is PTO powered and the vacuum fan is near the "bag" and not on the side of the deck. It also comes with a stand.

Superior Tech seems to be a modified JD MCS unit for which I have to buy some JD parts in addition to the SP "bag". The cost of this is $2,500 + $750 for the JD chute and fan assembly.

This is quite a bit of money. Any one else have other options? How much is a regular JD MCS setup with fabric bags? Are the above units worth the premium over the standard MCS?

Thanks for any and all opinions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Thanks
    Superior Tech makes the MCS for John Deere. They might sell one that is slightly different but just a heads up on that part.

As far as what is best. There isn't a right answer. What is best for one person would suck for the next.

Case in point. If you have to haul leaves and clippings off-site because you don't have the ability or desire to compost on your property, well then the 3 bag setup might be better. It is also a little more compact for storage. So for suburbia this might be a better solution.

If you do dispose of the clippings on-site like I do, then the 3 bag collection would be a complete waste of time. I want to dump and go as quickly as possible. So a dump from seat hopper solution is better.

As far as powerflow head vs pony motor. Personal preference again. The Powerflow is heavy, can throw off the level of the deck, for the 1 and X series has a plastic housing which will eventually wear out and isn't cheap or easy to replace. But it is belt driven off the right spindle. So no secondary motor to store.

A pony motor doesn't have the weight hanging off the deck, usually is metal construction, it can be nice in that the pony engine alone can be run with the hose disconnected to suck leaves out of shrubs. However they are loud and there is the second engine to maintain.

Another option just to put it on your radar is a rear PTO driven vac. Rather than a pony engine you run both the med and rear PTO. It is metal construction, dump from seat hopper design. I considered it when I was thinking I might go 1 Series a couple years ago but went with a Z950R with MCS instead. The issue for me was I wanted to buy everything under 0% JD financing. This isn't a JD part so not an option for rolling it into financing. The Superior Tech unit wasn't available as an option 2 years ago. Only the 3 bag collection which as I mentioned wouldn't work very well in my application.

EDIT: Here is a link to the company that makes the PTO driven one. Like I said, just another option, not that you needed more options. There isn't a right or wrong answer. You just need to find what works best for you in your situation.

http://www.proteroinc.com/product/pv...lity-tractors/

I also don't like the fabric bags because they eventually wear out as well.
    Last edited by sennister; 04-25-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    MadOx likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:10 AM
    Thanks
    I retrofitted one of these from the vintage 800 and 900 series tractors.

Positives are: leaves and grass can be dumped directly into a trailer, truck or on a pile without getting off the seat.

Negatives: must have front counterweight (not a huge deal), nice if you have rear hydraulics to actuate the dump (don't really needs this. You could run longer hoses up to the FEL quick connects), takes some retrofitting (not bad if you know how). Have to find one used and then will probably have to do some work on it (this may be the toughest part).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20151017_162608.jpg   20151017_162701.jpg  
    chex313 and stg454 like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    I retrofitted one of these from the vintage 800 and 900 series tractors.

Positives are: leaves and grass can be dumped directly into a trailer, truck or on a pile without getting off the seat.

Negatives: must have front counterweight (not a huge deal), nice if you have rear hydraulics to actuate the dump (don't really needs this. You could run longer hoses up to the FEL quick connects), takes some retrofitting (not bad if you know how). Have to find one used and then will probably have to do some work on it (this may be the toughest part).
    I always thought that setup was pretty neat. The odd thing is that they still sell them. Just not here.

Look at the second photo in the gallery.

https://www.deere.com/en_INT/product...0r/x950r.page#
    BigJim55 likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-15-2019 @ 02:19 PM
    Thanks
    How about just hand rake debris into the bucket of the front end loader, cart that off and dump it?

All good assuming you have front end loader. If not disregard.
    BigJim55 likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 AM
    Thanks

Mcs

I have the Protero and it works very well. If you order make sure you specify the longer PTO shaft to use with the I Match. Chute does clog up if the leaves are wet.
    BigJim55 and goat704! like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Superior Tech makes the MCS for John Deere. They might sell one that is slightly different but just a heads up on that part.

As far as what is best. There isn't a right answer. What is best for one person would suck for the next.

Case in point. If you have to haul leaves and clippings off-site because you don't have the ability or desire to compost on your property, well then the 3 bag setup might be better. It is also a little more compact for storage. So for suburbia this might be a better solution.

If you do dispose of the clippings on-site like I do, then the 3 bag collection would be a complete waste of time. I want to dump and go as quickly as possible. So a dump from seat hopper solution is better.

As far as powerflow head vs pony motor. Personal preference again. The Powerflow is heavy, can throw off the level of the deck, for the 1 and X series has a plastic housing which will eventually wear out and isn't cheap or easy to replace. But it is belt driven off the right spindle. So no secondary motor to store.

A pony motor doesn't have the weight hanging off the deck, usually is metal construction, it can be nice in that the pony engine alone can be run with the hose disconnected to suck leaves out of shrubs. However they are loud and there is the second engine to maintain.

Another option just to put it on your radar is a rear PTO driven vac. Rather than a pony engine you run both the med and rear PTO. It is metal construction, dump from seat hopper design. I considered it when I was thinking I might go 1 Series a couple years ago but went with a Z950R with MCS instead. The issue for me was I wanted to buy everything under 0% JD financing. This isn't a JD part so not an option for rolling it into financing. The Superior Tech unit wasn't available as an option 2 years ago. Only the 3 bag collection which as I mentioned wouldn't work very well in my application.

EDIT: Here is a link to the company that makes the PTO driven one. Like I said, just another option, not that you needed more options. There isn't a right or wrong answer. You just need to find what works best for you in your situation.

Lawn Vacuum & Dump Cather for Utility Tractors | PV18 PTO | Protero Inc

I also don't like the fabric bags because they eventually wear out as well.

Thanks for your detailed response. Yes, the Protero model is the one I was referring to in my original post. I like that is it PTO powered and does not add weight to the side of the deck. That and one less motor to maintain. It looks well made but it is not cheap.

I have plenty of space to dump on my property and would like to quickly and easily do this without getting nasty wrestling with the fabric bags. It seems the price has increased in my research from others who have purchased here.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:44 AM
    Thanks
    Before you purchase one make sure you are going to use it. We moved on to 4 acres in 91 and purchased a 420 with a tilt dump collection outfit. Complete with its own 7hp Kawasaki motor and a real neat outfit. Used it three or four time and it just sets. every couple of years I start the engine and run a tank full of gas thru it and change the oil. Starts well just to much of a pain to use. Also we moved from intown and about 1/2 acre lot to over 4 acres to mow. I just let things fly when I mow and in the fall I mow the leaves several time. Just make sure you will use it before you lay out the
    BigJim55, mark02tj and goat704! like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    The reason I want this a bagger is that I rarely mow often enough to leave fine clippings on the lawn. The clippings leave rows which is sortof a bummer for my kids to play in and will, over time, create a lot of thatch. I think the property will look a lot nicer if I bag the clippings. I mow about 2.5 of my 4 acres.

Also, it would be nice for fall cleanup. I currently use a billy goat blower mounted to the bucket, which works amazingly well, but this might be better.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks
    You might look at the cyclone rake. I got one last summer for my 1025R, and love it, I've used it twice already this year,
    and the Z-10 will suck every bit of WET grass that the 60 inch deck can cut, as fast as it can cut it. (In Oregon, we don't have dry grass
    to cut until July when it stops growing, and by then it'd be 3 feet high). Don't buy their 3-point kit, it isn't the best solution - get the
    2 inch receiver hitch (included with purchase, instead of $100+ extra), and get the heavy hitch plate that goes under the PTO with the
    2 inch receiver. This gives you a level base for the unit instead of it raising/lowering all the time with the deck, which isn't good for the engine.
    If you want easy unloading, order the power lift unloader, just don't buy it with the electric start engine (the key for the electric start is behind the unloader
    and almost impossible to reach when both are installed).

An added plus, they are right there in Ct, so you can probably get around shipping by doing factory pickup.
    tquarles
    1025R FILB with 60" MMM, 48" Kuhn tiller, 60" Howse box blade,
    Howse post hole digger, JD LX60 brush cutter, Bearcat chipper, 3-point broadcast spreader
    Artillian forks and receiver mount, Cyclone Rake.
    Gator TS

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast