Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: PTO Generator/Emergency Home Coverage

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-21-2017 @ 03:52 PM
    Thanks

PTO Generator/Emergency Home Coverage

I am beginning to study the possibility of using my 1025r in conjunction with a PTO generator to supply power to my home in an emergency situation. I realize fuel quantity on hand in an emergency is a major consideration as well as KW capacity of the 1025r's PTO HP vs needs of my home. If I decided to do this I would purchase a larger fuel tank to keep larger quantities on hand (stabilized). I also would have the house wired so I could select critical circuits in an emergency. I also have a well which runs on 220.

Has anyone taken this approach that can provide some guidance?

Any particular brand favored?

any wiring advice?

Any other comments?

Any and all help would be much appreciated.
    jhays likes this.
    Phil d

2014 1025r, FEL, 54D mmm, 647 Tiller, 54" Quick Hitch Blower, Power Flow MCS, JD Aeriator, JD Dethatcher.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Thanks
    There are dozens of threads on this. A quick search on "PTO Generator" should bring them up.

Seems to me that the general consensus is that a dedicated (i.e. stand alone) generator (either portable or perm. installed) is a better option.

Wiring the house side of things is the same for all of them. Your choices there center around just how involved you (or your family) wants to be in the process. The "easiest" system is a completely automatic switch. That's also the most expensive. On the other end of things is several dozen extension cords - cheap but lots of work. In between is a manual transfer system.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks
    Without going on a search, I think the consensus was to have a stand alone generator for the following reasons (in no particular order):

In most emergencies where electricity is lost, you will need your tractor for clean up.

Using your tractor to power a generator is very inefficient, compared to a stand alone unit.

In the event the generator would seize, you would have a large rotating mass flinging around behind your tractor, which is very dangerous, and not very good for a tractor.

You would not be able to run it unsupervised (would you leave your tractor outside and running overnight?).

Just to name a few...
    Bubber, farmgirl19 and Oberhaz like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks
    We've done a lot of research on this topic after 71 hours without power this past August. Our decision have come to:

Stand alone portable generator, 8000W. We don't live in hurricane or ice storm country, so a permanent install would only get used a few times a year for a couple hours. An event where we are without power for several days is quite rare, so it's better for me to have a useable portable geni for around the ranch. 8000W was more than enough to keep us comfortable, our food chilled, the well pump working (also 220V) and some lights going. 1700$ for a Generac XP8000E.

Semi-auto transfer switch - what the hell is that, you ask?? We've chosen to go with a switch that fits in behind the power meter - GenerLink. It comes with a 220V cord that plugs right into the geni's plug. It is an interlock so that you CANNOT blow yourself up, or kill a lineman. Install time is about 22 seconds. Cost is 850$, which is more than the 400$ ones you can buy, but they would require electrician time for install, so you likely come in about even.

The Sharpie Breaker Selection System (SBSS) - this is a very high tech, expensive, and complex system designed by a German, at CERN, deep underground. It involved getting one Silver and one Gold sharpie. I marked the breakers that we deem essential as one color, and the non-essential the other color. You can get separate breaker boxes, but that's a PITA and expensive.

I, personally, would not want my tractor tied up running a geni. I can't imagine you'll save any money by buying a PTO vs. a stand alone. You WILL definitely want your machine free to help clean up (trust me on that one).

Any other Q's please ask.

-J.
    Bubber, farmgirl19, 5304 and 1 others like this.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jer For This Useful Post:

5304 (11-24-2014)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Thanks
    I went with a manual transfer switch and a stand alone generator. Our power lines are underground, so outages are rare. In the event of an outage, I can drag the generator, on wheels, outside, put the power cord between it and the house and flip the switches. The two fridges and freezer stay powered, I've got power at the workbench and the TV and BlueRay player are good to go. I don't have whole house coverage, but it is like camp. 100 hour candles and a movie. Good times.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-29-2019 @ 12:07 AM
    Thanks
    I'm a stand alone generator guy also. I upgraded from 3kw to 7.6kw when I had the home service upgraded to 200amps with the generator connector inside the Bilco cellar doors. I would have liked to use a diesel generator, but they were out of the ballpark in price.

I can run what I need in the house without worry about overload: SUMP PUMP!!!!, stove fans for heat or furnace for heat and my deep well 220v pump at any time plus all the little "amenities" like microwave, DISHWASHER, and TV, etc., in a common sense sequence.

You won't regret a stand alone unit, just figure what you absolutely need in total amperage or watts and don't forget to figure in the "starting amperage draw" for motors (pumps, furnace, etc.) They are simple to maintain (easier than a gas lawn mower!) and depending on usage one can get along on one oil change a year. Though it was a spider web of extension cords, we got along fairly well on 3kw (other than not having the convience of the well pump for flushing).
    jdmich likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 2,340 Posts
    I guess I'm in a different camp. I did the research also but have opted to go with......wait for it......nothing.

After living "off grid" for 8 years a long time ago, I guess we've carried those ways with us. Been living in our present home with electricity for 20 years now. But we just don't need electricity for a power outage - and it has happened for up to 3 days here and is quite frequent.

For water my spring is 20' from my front porch.
    For heat use the wood stove.
    For cooking, even though we have an electric range, will use the gas grill or the propane camp stove. Same used to heat water for a pitcher bath.
    For entertainment - read a book!

This only thing that can go bad with an extended outage more than 3-4 days would be loosing what is in the freezer (at least a 1/2 beef in there at all times plus a lot of other stuff). But that is what homeowners insurance is for.

I've read a lot of stuff on the internet about this subject. It really surprises me how many people say that can't live without their computer or internet. Huh?
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 06:17 AM
    Thanks

PTO Generator/Emergency Home Coverage

I am SOOOO glad this thread got started. We are currently in the process of getting a Generator. No Gas or Pro-Pain here so, it's Gasoline for us. Going to get a portable and a Manual transfer switch. Previous owner Back-Fed through a 220V outlet in the barn. Not exactly a good Idea. That outlet was changed out to use a welder and I will have a licensed electrician come in and make it work correctly.
    Last edited by HouseMouse; 11-24-2014 at 07:36 AM.
    HydroHarold and Phil D like this.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Thanks
    I went with a Northstar 8KW standalone....I am in the camp of having a few motors to keep up after the better, but having tractor free for other chores won out....8K will run whole house, including well, we just do not use oven or must turn things off if we used dryer....works OK for the price point.....I can get up a few times a night and reheat house if necessary, better that $10K tied up in something I might use every other year or so....
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 1,301 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    The Sharpie Breaker Selection System (SBSS) - this is a very high tech, expensive, and complex system designed by a German, at CERN, deep underground. It involved getting one Silver and one Gold sharpie. I marked the breakers that we deem essential as one color, and the non-essential the other color. You can get separate breaker boxes, but that's a PITA and expensive.
    I wanted to install a SBSS system but couldn't swing the price. Ended up going with the Orange Dot Breaker Priority System (ODBPS).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dots.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	35777
    Kennyd, Jer, HydroHarold and 1 others like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast