Semi mount verses pull type rotary cutter (bush hog)
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By 1010
  • 3 Post By ddinham
  • 2 Post By 1010
  • 3 Post By ddinham
  • 3 Post By Zebrafive

Thread: Semi mount verses pull type rotary cutter (bush hog)

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks

Semi mount verses pull type rotary cutter (bush hog)

I've used the pull types for a long time and love them.
    I have a 5075e with a cat 2 quick hitch and want a 10 foot pull type, but I see several manufactures offer the semi.
    Does anyone have a semi mount? pros - cons?

A ten foot 3pt isn't an option.

Another question, does the 5075e have the 540/1000rpm shaft that can be changed by swapping ends?
    It doesn't look like mine does. It does have the 540e and PR trans.
    PJR832 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:07 PM
    Thanks
    I guess I am wondering why you do not want a 3pt 10ft brush hog. I have a 3pt Rhino 10ft and feel it is the best way to go. However I am a little disappointed that it will not work with my cat 1 iMatch. It is specified to be quick hitch compatible, but that must be cat 2 quick hitch as it is natively a cat 2 machine. The only difference between a 3pt and a semi-mount is that the 3pt will pick up the entire cutter, whereas with a semi-mount, it will only pick up the front, leaving it to run on the rear tires. Therefore, a semi-mount will swing with the tractor the same as a 3pt. That can be a problem in tight areas or along a fence line. A little turn of the steering wheel can throw the cutter into the fence row. The advantage of a 3pt or semi-mount is that you do not need to have a hyd cylinder to do the lifting of the cutter or to quickly change cutting heights. The pull type is definitely safer along a fence row. It probably also gives a cleaner cut during a turn, if you are doing a lot of turning. Another problem with a 3pt can be whether you have enough lift capacity to lift it. Mine is a rather light duty cutter and only weighs 1759#, however some of them can weigh considerably more. I am not sure what you were actually looking for her, but I hope this helps somewhat, if you just wanted to kick it around a little to help you make your decision.

Dave
    Tractor Tim, PJR832 and 1010 like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    The 3pt would be a little heavy for my tractor, I felt like. The semi I have seen have a Hyd cylinder on the rear wheels like a pull type they just swivel like a 3pt. I guess the biggest advantage to me on the pull type I can run around under trees easier and not have the limbs wearing my canopy out.
    Tractor Tim and PJR832 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
    The 3pt would be a little heavy for my tractor, I felt like. The semi I have seen have a Hyd cylinder on the rear wheels like a pull type they just swivel like a 3pt. I guess the biggest advantage to me on the pull type I can run around under trees easier and not have the limbs wearing my canopy out.

Yes you can have a hyd cylinder on a semi-mount, but it is not necessary as you can lift it from the 3pt arms, once you manually set the rear wheels to your desired cutting height. Whether a 3pt is too heavy for your tractor depends on the cutter. While I have not yet lifted my 1759# Rhino, I do not see a problem as I have no problem with my 1500# RFM. However, I suspect I will need to keep the bucket on the loader for ballast, which is not necessary when using my RFM. I believe you can get up to as much as 3000# on a 3pt really heavy duty model, so that could be a problem for you. It would be for me on my 4066R.

Dave
    Tractor Tim, PJR832 and 1010 like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Thanks
    Comparing to a pull type:
    The Pros for a semi mount; easier backing, no worries about the angle of the PTO shaft when turning real sharp, and shorter overall package.
    The Cons for semi mount; the swing on turns, not as easy to hookup.

The only advantages to a 3pt over a semi mount is you can quickly pick it up if you hit a hidden obstickle, and it can be used as rear ballast.
    Treefarmer, PJR832 and 1010 like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements