Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Making a Sage Brush Cutter for Manuer Forks

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Thanks

Making a Sage Brush Cutter for Manuer Forks

Ordered a 1/2" x 4" x 66" Cutter Bar to go on my Manure Forks I setup. Since the 2" Box Steel Forks are on 11" centers I am going to weld on the cutter bar across the7- Forks near the back. I will sharpen the cutter bar as sharp as I can before welding it on. I am hoping that the forks will keep the Sage between them and the sharp cutter will cut off the Sage Brush with the Tractor pushing it against the stumps under the heavy bush. We have enough of it around the place it will get used. Another $100.00 into this Manure Fork and it should also do another job. Should be able to lay the Forks flat on the ground and as I go along cut them off pretty flush and the Brush Hog will deal with the rest of it. I planed to also use these forks to find rocks before my Brush Hog does keeping it close to the ground in front of me and cutting off Heavy Brush as needed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0425.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	604762This is a picture of the forks with the harden tips I put on and picture a very sharp cutting welded to this on top of the7 forks and the cutting part between them. It did work great on the Manure Mat and a sharp edge would have helped more. I am hoping the sharp edge will work like a Chisel on the stumps and the forks keep it in the cutting slot?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0443.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	604770 Having the Cutter Edge on the tops of the Forks should keep it out of the dirt and rocks dulling the edge faster. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cutting Edge.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	604778This will be sharp when welded on the forks.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 05-04-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    rtgt, Levi, PJR832 and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,100 Times in 2,263 Posts
    I like your idea. I have no idea what Sage Brush is like but my first thought is the brush getting pushed over before the cutting edge would cut it?

My thing is jagger bushes which are actually wild blackberry. I just use the tooth bar on my bucket, set the bucket about 2” below grade and level, and go. It pulls the stuff out by the roots that way. Being they get huge - the stems from the root are only about 1” diameter but the thorned leaders will be 6’-8’ in diameter there is no other way to cut them off. If I push at them at ground level they will just push over and not be cut only to pop right back up.

I will also follow behind with my brush hog.
    rtgt, Neb, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (05-04-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I like your idea. I have no idea what Sage Brush is like but my first thought is the brush getting pushed over before the cutting edge would cut it?

My thing is jagger bushes which are actually wild blackberry. I just use the tooth bar on my bucket, set the bucket about 2” below grade and level, and go. It pulls the stuff out by the roots that way. Being they get huge - the stems from the root are only about 1” diameter but the thorned leaders will be 6’-8’ in diameter there is no other way to cut them off. If I push at them at ground level they will just push over and not be cut only to pop right back up.

I will also follow behind with my brush hog.
    This is what I am dealing with in groups out in the pastures we just bought. They can get 5+ feet tall. I will try to Hollow Grind the cutting edge to make it cut better than a chisel tip if I can. These don't bend well the wood is hard it will shatter first.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sagebrush2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	604962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sagebrush.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	604970 If it was a few a chain would be great but I will be dealing with acres of this on 80 acres spread around. Dislike getting off the tractor to make it work for me. I love the piranha bars just not sure on these roots the stumps are bigger under ground and go deep looking for water. Some who live here go in and use a dozer and rip it all out and start over. Problem is noxious weeds take over on bare disturbed desert land. The cutter will be 2 inches or less from grade.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 05-04-2018 at 04:04 PM.
    mjncad, rtgt, coaltrain and 4 others like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Thanks
    I would think you need a "V" shaped notch like the Piranha tooth bar,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw0-1hzt3dA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCaGSIMx1NU

When I have tried brush with a straight blade, the brush just slides,,,
    rtgt, PJR832, Fozsey and 1 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I was going to do a dry run test first and just sharpen one section between forks nice and sharp. I was on the thought it could cut a couple small stumps at once using a moving mass at low speed like a shovel does. But a real big and heavy shovel with HP. Only cutting with a section at a time per Sage Bush. I know going forward I can rip out roots cut and roll hard clay and bust box blade rippers pulling? Hoping it can cut round wood with a sharp strait edge and this is a easy test. I can just sharpen a edge on the forks and see how it does.
    rtgt, coaltrain, PJR832 and 1 others like this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    I would think you need a "V" shaped notch like the Piranha tooth bar,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw0-1hzt3dA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCaGSIMx1NU

When I have tried brush with a straight blade, the brush just slides,,,
    I watched one with the small tractor using one, should use a way bigger tractor. I know I can lower my bucket and cut stuff off clean. Trying to only cut the Sages stump off? Worth a shot if it works. This is the only brush I deal with where I live.
    rtgt and Fozsey like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Thanks
    Google "KG blade". What you make will need an angle to shear it off. Is fire not an option?
    Fozsey and JD4044M like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
    Google "KG blade". What you make will need an angle to shear it off. Is fire not an option?
    It will have a angle like a wood chisel has. Boy do I know what a Rome Plow is being a Combat Engineer in Vietnam and a Dozer MOS training. We used them for "Land Clearing" 20th Engineer Group. They can drag Big Chains between them ripping stuff down. Not very "ECO Friendly" nor was the War but got the job done.

No fires for this use only burn piles I live in a Desert Step area prone to Wildfires big time.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 05-04-2018 at 08:55 PM.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and Fozsey like this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I have seen Hydraulic Cutters on the front that are nice. Once I get the Sage gone on the place not much use for the cutting part. Looking into bolting the cutter on depending how hard it is to drill? I have carbide tipped drills if needed??
    rtgt, BigJim55 and Fozsey like this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,100 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Something like this would be the cat’s a$$ - but takes the money to purchase and not sure if they make it JDQA.

https://www.palletforks.com/skid-ste...8aAj5nEALw_wcB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	140617D6-C81F-4C48-9F21-59552FE6510D.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	605578
    mjncad, rtgt, mark02tj and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

14. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (05-05-2018)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast