• 1 Post By ilmo
  • 2 Post By Levi

Thread: Fimco spreader

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Thanks

Fimco spreader

I just wanted to give my opinion on my fimco spreader in case anyone is in the market. First off I have been reasearching them for some time and decided on this one based on reviews and second I didn't want want a PTO drive one as like the idea of a electric motor I can replace easily if needed. I also have a cheap tow behind but it only lasted a couple summers so I wanted something a little more heavy duty.

The spreader works well and is built solid. I loaded it with 120lbs of fertilizer and emptied it in about 10 mins. I did buy the receiver hitch mount and a 12 inch hitch extension as I did not want to remove my quick hitch every time I use it.

The good. Built well, variable speed motor can fling fertilizer 50ft if you want. I had it on a pretty low speed and it spread a nice even pattern. Nice on off switch/control box with a quality mounting bracket. The plastic hopper is thick and the fertilizer slid right out of it.

The bad. I don't love the hopper shut off lever. It works okay but I think there has to be a better way of doing it. No agitator but I am not sure it needs one yet. Maybe it depends on the material. There is a little shaft that sticks up in the hopper for a cotter pin that could be used as a agitator but it would spin really fast. Time will tell if it's required. It seems a little expenses for what it is. I have over 400 bucks in her with the hitch adapter and extension.

Overall it's a good option for someone looking for a quality spreader. I plan to seed a bare 3 acre lot and will follow up with how it does.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180505_140311_1525548469744.jpg   IMG_20180505_140305_1525548499516.jpg  
    Levi, BigJim55, ilmo and 5 others like this.
    2018 1023e

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 668 Posts
    I also have the same Fimco spreader and the special 2" receiver adapter hitch, but I don't have an Imatch so mine is mounted without the 2" receiver extension. I removed the drawbar hitch plate on the 1025R and replaced it with a 2" receiver and this allows me to reach back to control the spreader gate handle. I did drill a hole at the bottom and added a washer and cotter pin so the handle would not pull out.

I bought mine off eBay, which was quite a bit cheaper. It was new, but had the bent yellow guard. Easily repaired.

Attachment 606314
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4244555.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	606346
    It makes spreading fertilizer, crabgrass preventer, pelltized lime, and grass seed a breeze.
    I have used mine for a couple years now and like its versatility of using it with anything that has a 2" receiver. I have used it on my 1025R, my Kawasaki Mule Rancher, and my cousin's JD Gator 825i.

Note: I clean it up thoroughly after every use to prevent anything from corroding. Even though the box is plastic, there are other parts that could be damaged.
    Last edited by ilmo; 05-06-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    Levi likes this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Have either of you tried spreading lime? I have a pull behind and with lime it just doesn't work. You have to keep stirring the pot to get it to spread.
    ilmo likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Have either of you tried spreading lime? I have a pull behind and with lime it just doesn't work. You have to keep stirring the pot to get it to spread.
    Are you using peletized lime?
    Levi likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 668 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    I use this rather than the powder stuff. It's like pellets about the size of a BB or smaller. Spreads easily and should work in almost any type broadcast spreader without having to stir it up.

Levi likes this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Are you using peletized lime?
    No, I was using power. To tell the truth, didn't know about pellets. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ilmo View Post
    I use this rather than the powder stuff. It's like pellets about the size of a BB or smaller. Spreads easily and should work in almost any type broadcast spreader without having to stir it up.

Thanks! I'll have to get some of this now that I know what to look for.
    ilmo and coaltrain like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements