Potentially Silly PHD Question - how deep can most bore?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JimR
  • 1 Post By JimR

Thread: Potentially Silly PHD Question - how deep can most bore?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks

Question Potentially Silly PHD Question - how deep can most bore?

OK, I just noted TSC has the Country Line PHD on sale and I have a left over gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

The unknown is the C-L augers all look like they'd only be capable of drilling a 36 inch deep hole unless I countersink them with a bigger auger first...

I need 42" minimum for frost line and preferably 48" for good measure when building post/frame. Is this true of the TSC C-L PHD/augers (12" dia. is the auger I'd get first)? Is the Dirty Hands one any better (depth or otherwise), they are not onsite at the store - so it's hard to kick the tires so to speak...

The DH one sold here is the 110 model or the heavy duty boom and gear box model for about $150 more for the unit and $120 more for the 12" HD auger they sell. I know the DH model 110 is a bit heavier built than the on sale C-L one. Is that a big consideration? Most online around here have had great luck with the C-L model off the floor and saved the $$.

'Sale ends today on the C-L model. Any feedback welcome!

Thanks guys!

Matt
    If Knowledge is Power, Wisdom is Torque
    1989 RX75 "The Chick Magnet"
    2017 960M Ztrak
    2008 John Deere 4720
    w/
    400X FEL w/ HD bucket & 72" Ratchet Rake
    Horst 48" Pallet Forks
    Woods TSG 50 Stump grinder
    Woods 72X Brushbull
    Land Pride HR3584 Box Blade
    Land Pride LR1584 Rake
    Cat 1 Imatch QH

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    My TSC carries the Speeco augers that are all 30" in length. I've seen other augers that are 36" too (Landpride sells 36" augers as one possible source). On machines with a full Cat 1 hitch, the TSC PHD will lift a 36" auger without problems. So you could buy the TSC PHD and get another 36" long auger elsewhere.

You can add extensions too but that can require some jockeying around to use it. Once the extensions are on the auger you may not be able to lift it high enough to get the hole started or pull the auger back up out of the hole.
    Robnik likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks
    JimR,
    I don't think the 4720 will have any clearance issues - its a good sized machine, even at a longer length than 36".

I've seen folks comment on on extensions in the past. Is there any issue with connection to the output of the gear box an the auger? Like a convention for the two that may be proprietary between PHD and augers to lock you into a brand or is the connection primarily size based like 2", Cat 1, etc....? If I have to mix equipment brands I'm always a bit nervous at first.

Thx,
    Matt
    If Knowledge is Power, Wisdom is Torque
    1989 RX75 "The Chick Magnet"
    2017 960M Ztrak
    2008 John Deere 4720
    w/
    400X FEL w/ HD bucket & 72" Ratchet Rake
    Horst 48" Pallet Forks
    Woods TSG 50 Stump grinder
    Woods 72X Brushbull
    Land Pride HR3584 Box Blade
    Land Pride LR1584 Rake
    Cat 1 Imatch QH

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    I've seen folks comment on on extensions in the past. Is there any issue with connection to the output of the gear box an the auger? Like a convention for the two that may be proprietary between PHD and augers to lock you into a brand or is the connection primarily size based like 2", Cat 1, etc....? If I have to mix equipment brands I'm always a bit nervous at first.
    There are a handful of "standard" PHD auger connection types. The TSC, Landpride, Dirty Hand Tools, etc... units for Cat 1 tractors all use a 2" round output shaft on the gear box. But occasionally you'll run across a PHD that uses a 2" square output shaft and some of the really light duty units use a 1 1/2" round shaft.

So the auger shaft size/type IS important. But it's pretty easy to find augers to fit the 2" round shaft.
    Robnik likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

MattF (05-06-2018)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements