Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AKfish

Thread: 8A backhoe

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-14-2019 @ 10:59 PM
    Thanks

8A backhoe

I have a 4120 JD and was wondering if anyone knew if an 8A backhoe would fit? It looks like the backhoe has quite a heavy frame with it. Would it be easy to take off and on?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 09:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GS455 View Post
    I have a 4120 JD and was wondering if anyone knew if an 8A backhoe would fit? It looks like the backhoe has quite a heavy frame with it. Would it be easy to take off and on?
    Thanks
    My first JD had an 8A BH. JD970, 4x4 with model 80 FEL. It was a good attachment and forever sold me on continuing to own a backhoe!

However, it isn't in the same league as the later models - 448, 485. Might be close to the 48 in performance... That said, I would also have serious reservations about adapting it to your 4000 series tractor. Reason being, I suspect that the frame width and the wheelbase length of the 4120 is larger than the 70 series as well as the 990 and the later 4005 and 4105 tractors.

If that's the case, you would have to essentially refab the rectangular base of the hoe that mounts to the 4-point attachment locations; i.e. widen and lengthen it. Of course, you would also need the cast-in-frame bolt hole locations on the tractor frame to mount the attachment hardware.

Long story short; might involve extensive fabrication to adapt a backhoe that won't perform on a par with the other models of backhoes that will readily fit your tractor.

And the hoe is not really an 'easy' piece of equipment to dismount and/or mount, either. It certainly gets easier with practice but you have to always 'build' a storage platform of lumber or blocks to keep the hoe off the ground and fairly level and straight. A PITA compared to the newer hoes - IMO.

AKfish
    robpm likes this.
    JD5115M, JD4720, JD110TLB, Ford 9N, JDX300R, JD458SS, JD347,336 sq. balers, JD MX-8, Kuhn hay equip, etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements