54" front blower skid shoes?
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By jgayman
  • 6 Post By jgayman

Thread: 54" front blower skid shoes?

  1. Top | #1
    Ianm150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    05-11-2016 @ 10:26 AM
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    54" front blower skid shoes?

    I have a 54 front blower on my 2320 and got to use it this thanksgiving for the first time in the 14" of snow we got here in NH. Unfortunately we got a slight thaw before the snow and the skid shoes dug into my gravel driveway. Does anyone know of a larger skid shoe (footprint) that I can use for early/late season snow blowing that'll distribute the weight better and solve this problem? I'm a machinist so redrilling a new bolt pattern is not a problem but I have no access to welding equipment so if my only option is to machine a larger skid shoe and weld it to the bracket I'll have to farm that job out. Thanks in advance for the help!
    JD 2320 with block heater, H130 FEL, balast box, 54" front snowblower, Herd 5.5 broadcast spreader, Landpride GS1560

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Online
    11-15-2019 @ 02:19 PM
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    958
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 62 Times in 57 Posts

    home made skids to protect driveway from skid marks

    High impact strength thermoplastic Polyethylene 1/2" thick mounted on the bottom of the steel skids is exactly what I did. It is supposed to be good wear against driveway. Make use of the two holes already on the skids. Drill holes in plastic to match and c-bore so the 1/4" screw head sits inside the plastic. Attach screws with 1/4" nuts, washers, and lock washers. I also heated and bent the plastic to follow the contour of the steel skids. Sorry no photos, even if I did I have no clue how to post them.

    This place sells the plastic I used. I'm still on the first pair I made 3 years ago.
    http://www.tapplastics.com/product/p...lyethylene/528

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Online
    04-03-2018 @ 12:29 PM
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    223
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 39 Times in 25 Posts
    Years ago, I removed the skid plates on my blower I had and made mounts to use rubber tire caster wheels . Really worked well, no pictures as it was about 30years ago on a wheel horse snow blower.
    - JD 1025R, R4s, H120 FEL, 53" bucket w/ hooks, 54" auto connect MMM, wheel weights
    - Artillian Forks 42",
    - Expanded piranha bucket edge
    - 72" FEL mounted snow plow,
    - Home built-35 gal 3pt. sprayer w/ pto pump, 3 pt. Hitch weight bracket w/ receiver hitch, holds 8 JD 42 lb. wts, Ballast box 3pt., w/ 6" caster wheels, stainless steel lawn roller
    - JD 425, 54" MMM, 3pt. PTO, MC 519 collection cart with hydraulic dump and power flow

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,322
    Thanks
    372
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    I had the exact same problem with my 54" blower and my gravel driveway. I tried widening the OEM shoes and it didn't help. Then someone turned me on to replacement shoes from SnowBlowerSkids | Replacement parts for your snowblower

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shoe.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	36790

    These are 16" long and have plenty of height adjustment to clear the gravel. Last season was the first use for these new shoes and they worked MUCH better than the stock shoes. Sorry I don't have any actual photos of my shoes. I will have to wait until the weekend as it is dark by the time I get home from work.
    BigJim55 and blue87fj60 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

    blue87fj60 (12-30-2014)

  8. Top | #5
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,322
    Thanks
    372
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Sorry for the late follow-up to this post. With it being dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home it doesn't leave much time for playing outdoors.

    I had a chance today to snap some photos of the SnowBlowerSkids.com shoes I installed on the 54" blower. I used these last season and they were a big improvement over the stock shoes. While I did use the stock mounting bolts I added some stainless steel fender washers that I picked up at the hardware store. They do a better job of keeping the shoes in position.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E26R3975.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	281.4 KB 
ID:	37066 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E26R3976.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	326.9 KB 
ID:	37068 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E26R3977.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	37069

    My driveway is gravel but I also clean out two of my neighbors who have paved driveways. I drew an alignment mark on the side of my blower which allows me to quickly adjust the shoes for gravel or pavement. This gives you a good idea of the range of adjustment these shoes provide.

    I also finally got around to painting the tip of my drift busters orange as it can be very difficult to see those black bars when blowing snow at night.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E26R3979.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	37070

    I guess I'm about as ready for the snow as I am going to get.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E26R3966_winter.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	422.6 KB 
ID:	37071
    Kennyd, Gizmo2, felixm22 and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

    BigJim55 (12-22-2014)

  10. Top | #6
    blue87fj60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Location
    south jersey
    Posts
    2,711
    Thanks
    151
    Thanked 357 Times in 279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Sorry for the late follow-up to this post. With it being dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home it doesn't leave much time for playing outdoors.

    I had a chance today to snap some photos of the SnowBlowerSkids.com shoes I installed on the 54" blower. I used these last season and they were a big improvement over the stock shoes. While I did use the stock mounting bolts I added some stainless steel fender washers that I picked up at the hardware store. They do a better job of keeping the shoes in position.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E26R3975.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	281.4 KB 
ID:	37066 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E26R3976.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	326.9 KB 
ID:	37068 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E26R3977.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	37069

    My driveway is gravel but I also clean out two of my neighbors who have paved driveways. I drew an alignment mark on the side of my blower which allows me to quickly adjust the shoes for gravel or pavement. This gives you a good idea of the range of adjustment these shoes provide.

    I also finally got around to painting the tip of my drift busters orange as it can be very difficult to see those black bars when blowing snow at night.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E26R3979.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	37070

    I guess I'm about as ready for the snow as I am going to get.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E26R3966_winter.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	422.6 KB 
ID:	37071
    Do you have a part number for the skids you used?

    I'm about to pick up my SB1148 from dealer and i'm sure my nearly 1/4 mile long gravel driveway is going to give me problems.
    Especially when we don't get a super freeze before the snow and the ground is unfrozen.

  11. Top | #7
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,322
    Thanks
    372
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue87fj60 View Post
    Do you have a part number for the skids you used?

    I'm about to pick up my SB1148 from dealer and i'm sure my nearly 1/4 mile long gravel driveway is going to give me problems.
    Especially when we don't get a super freeze before the snow and the ground is unfrozen.
    I'm sure I could probably dig up the original part number but I'm not sure that would help you with a SB1148. These shoes come in different lengths and hole spacings. The best approach would be to go to the website and they show you how to determine which length and hole spacing will fit your application.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  12. Top | #8
    blue87fj60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Location
    south jersey
    Posts
    2,711
    Thanks
    151
    Thanked 357 Times in 279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I'm sure I could probably dig up the original part number but I'm not sure that would help you with a SB1148. These shoes come in different lengths and hole spacings. The best approach would be to go to the website and they show you how to determine which length and hole spacing will fit your application.
    Yep, thanks.
    I just looked again and when i clicked on the "buy" button it came up with all the individual shoes , hole spacing, and lengths.
    I'll measure up the 1148 when it gets in. Supposed to be "at or before Jan. 1".

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •