• 2 Post By Gebada22
  • 1 Post By PJR832

Thread: TSC CountryLine Tiller Smoking

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-07-2019 @ 06:44 AM
    Thanks

TSC CountryLine Tiller Smoking

Hi All. I bought a new 4ft CountryLine Tiller from TSC and my second day's use and I notice the tillers struggling to spin, and a burning smell, and smoke coming out of the end of PTO shaft on tiller side. I believe this is the clutch smoking, I can lift the tiller up and turn on the PTO with no stress and still see smoke. I did fill gear old and grease as the manual indicated. The land I'm tilling was cleared with a brush hog, it was mostly brush and prickers and the tiller is pulling up some viney roots but I cut and pulled them right out, and kept tilling, not sure if it matters I assume people run in to vines / small roots with these things.

I believe the issue is the slip clutch from some research, but I'm not sure if it needs adjustment or is shot already. The manual does not indicate how to adjust the slip clutch, can anyone direct me to a guide on how to do so?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Thanks
    When you say "4ft County Line Tiller" do you mean the yellow one (The RT4) or the red one (the RTSC4/TG-48-XB)?

The instructions for adjusting the slip clutch on the RT4 are on page 18 of the owner's manual. Steps 6 through 8.

For the red unit, the slip clutch adjustment instructions are on page 20, steps 6-8.
    raco232, 69project and PJR832 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Thanks
    How deep are you going on the first pass? You should only a couple of inches deep the first time through. I would also be worried about the vines binding up the tines and slipping the clutch, which sounds like that is what is happening.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:23 PM
    Thanks
    I echo Jim's comment about adjusting the clutch. I have a 5ft Country Line Tiller and it was suggested before the first operation to correctly adjust the clutch. I found the manual to have a good description, but also found a few nice YouTube videos to compliment what I was reading.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 2011 2320, 200CX FEL, JD 46 BH, IMatch, RC1048, Countryline 6' Back Blade, Countryline 5' Rototiller, Ken's Bolt on Hooks, JD Ballast Box, Artillian Pallet forks, Grapple and Diverter, Bro-Tek Wheel Spacers, ROPS Warning Flag, Millcreek 63" Aerator, JD 21 Utility Trailer, 6ft Brillion Cultipacker.
    John Deere 2004 325
    John Deere 2017 X590

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:15 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by commguy View Post
    Hi All. I bought a new 4ft CountryLine Tiller from TSC and my second day's use and I notice the tillers struggling to spin, and a burning smell, and smoke coming out of the end of PTO shaft on tiller side. I believe this is the clutch smoking, I can lift the tiller up and turn on the PTO with no stress and still see smoke. I did fill gear old and grease as the manual indicated. The land I'm tilling was cleared with a brush hog, it was mostly brush and prickers and the tiller is pulling up some viney roots but I cut and pulled them right out, and kept tilling, not sure if it matters I assume people run in to vines / small roots with these things.

I believe the issue is the slip clutch from some research, but I'm not sure if it needs adjustment or is shot already. The manual does not indicate how to adjust the slip clutch, can anyone direct me to a guide on how to do so?
    While it does sound like the slip clutch needs adjustment when you say you lift the tiller and engage the pto, are the tines turning, you could have something jammed in the tiller binding the tines.
    Jim Timber likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements