Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Thatcher on a 1025R and Over Seeding with It

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Thanks

Thatcher on a 1025R and Over Seeding with It

I had a Thatcher with my 455s that I hadn't sold. I came across a post on the MTF forum where another Minnesotan was a building a Quick Hitch Mount for the Thatcher, which would allow me to mount it on my 1025Rs. He markets them on eBay, but I reached out to him via the MTF forum PM and purchased direct last February. My intent was to use the Thatcher more for over seeding prep, than for de-thatching.

I removed the 455 mounting hardware and replaced it with the mount from D & L Creative Concepts ([email protected]). I adjusted the mount so both rows of tangs evenly contacted the shop floor. I then removed the setscrew that secures the height control bushing to the wheel pivot shaft. I applied anti-seize to threads to prevent it from corroding in place. With the setscrew and height control bushing loose, I positioned a piece of 1/2' plywood under each wheel and secured the setscrews. This will allow the tangs to rip the top 1/2" of the soil, preparing a seed bed.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCN0302.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	612426

In the past, I've utilized the tiller to prep for seed, but if the grade is already established, it makes for a lot of work getting it raked back into place. Also, as I'm working on a slope, the tiller loosens it to the point whereas washouts can become an issue in a hard rain. I've also utilized my aerator, but that is the other extreme whereas it doesn't loosen the soil enough.

My first step was to spread the seed, before I did any prep. In this manner, as I run the Thatcher through the soil, it rakes the seed in at the same time. Below is a photo of an area to be seeded with just a single pass through it. I'm very pleased with how the Thatcher is loosening the top soil. I ran the Quick Hitch in the float mode and the restriction of displacing fluid from the cylinder seems to be just the right amount of down pressure. So no other supplemental weight is required on the Thatcher.

Name:	DSCN0300.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	612434

Once I had thoroughly "thatched" in the seed, I used the tractor to "roll" the soil, by driving over it a tire width at a time, for good soil contact with the seed.

Name:	DSCN0301.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	612442

I don't have much of a green thumb and would starve to death if I was a farmer, but I'll update how the germination progresses...or fails to.

Below are some additional photos of the Thatcher mounted on the 1025R. A potential drawback to the Quick Hitch mount is you cannot have a mower deck and the Quick Hitch mounted simultaneously, preventing dethatching and mowing simultaneously.

Name:	DSCN0296.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	612450

Name:	DSCN0297.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	612458

Name:	DSCN0298.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	612466

Name:	DSCN0299.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	612474
    Last edited by martincom; 05-14-2018 at 07:35 PM.
    Ray_PA, keane, blue87fj60 and 5 others like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    Way cool mod. I like how you can use the quick-hitch with it. Keep us updated how the seed does.
    Last edited by kylew; 05-14-2018 at 06:07 PM.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket●BXpanded Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Thanks
    This is a great idea. I'm planning to overseed areas of Zoysia grass where I really want tall fescue. My dethatching rake may provide just the right opening in the soil. Please post progress reports. Thanks. Keane
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:11 PM
    Thanks
    Usually you loosen the upper crust of soil with a thatcher, etc, before seeding, not compact it. That being said, as long as it's not sand or gravel, seed tends to grow regardless.
    Last edited by firemachine69; 05-15-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    That is what I did.
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    647 Tiller

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    01-05-2019 @ 06:43 PM
    Thanks
    Great post, I had planned to purchase that same exact mount on eBay to use my Quick Hitch for single pass detaching, mulching, and bagging with my Cyclone Rake MCS until I realized the mower and [stock] Quick Hitch can't be mounted simultaneously.

Name:	IMG_1108.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	613154

That said, from what I can tell it looks like the forward projecting bolts on the end of the mower deck draft arms are what prevents the Quick Hitch bracket from fully seating into position. I'm considering buying a second bracket to modify by cutting out any interference points, since the structural requirements to lift a dethatcher are obviously much less than to operate a snowblower/blade. Anyone tried or considered anything like that before?

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitLightning View Post
    Great post, I had planned to purchase that same exact mount on eBay to use my Quick Hitch for single pass detaching, mulching, and bagging with my Cyclone Rake MCS until I realized the mower and [stock] Quick Hitch can't be mounted simultaneously.

Name:	IMG_1108.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	613154

That said, from what I can tell it looks like the forward projecting bolts on the end of the mower deck draft arms are what prevents the Quick Hitch bracket from fully seating into position. I'm considering buying a second bracket to modify by cutting out any interference points, since the structural requirements to lift a dethatcher are obviously much less than to operate a snowblower/blade. Anyone tried or considered anything like that before?
    That won't get you there. Checkout the last photo in my post. That obstructed slot is what the front draft arm shaft slips into.

Here is what Spartazoo came up with:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ethatcher.html
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    647 Tiller

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    01-26-2019 @ 12:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    That won't get you there. Checkout the last photo in my post. That obstructed slot is what the front draft arm shaft slips into.

isn't there a factory bracket that allows quick-hitch AND mower deck at the same time?

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisc1985 View Post
    isn't there a factory bracket that allows quick-hitch AND mower deck at the same time?
    Nothing I've ever seen from JD. The front draft arms of the mower take up a lot of the real estate where the quick hitch adaptor bracket goes. My thought is the adaptor bracket would have to be modified, if it would even work and be strong enough.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket●BXpanded Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    01-05-2019 @ 06:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post

Yeah I've considered the CMP dethatcher which I could just bolt to the front, but at the end of the day I have this great hitch mount with hydraulic lift and angle that sits idle all summer long. It is surprising JD would overlook interference between two staple implements, but nevertheless here we are.

By the looks of it, it seems like you could remove the top half of the rear cross member and notch out the side plates on the standard bracket to allow clearance for both the draft arm bolts as well as the lateral pin. Below is some crude illustration of my thinking...can't imagine it would compromise the bracket structurally considering the entire front cross member and mounting pin would remain in tact to provide ample lateral strength.

Name:	Bracketclean.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	613826

Name:	Bracketmod.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	613834
    keane likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements