Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Question about Cyclone Rake

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-05-2019 @ 06:40 AM
    Thanks

Question about Cyclone Rake

Hey y'all. Just decided to invest in a Cyclone Rake to use with my 1025r. Have about 3 acres of sloped lawn under mostly Oak, and it's a hellacious job every year around this season getting all those leaves removed.
    All the research I've done on this product seems very positive, but with a price tag for the mid-range model coming in at just over 2K, it's a significant chunk of change. Just want to be sure I'm making a smart move, so any experience you have and share will be much appreciated.
    Be safe, and thanks.
    2013 - 1025R w/54 MMM; H120 FEL;
    Everything Attachments
    Cyclone Rake Commercial Pro
    RatchetRake 52"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-30-2018 @ 09:52 AM
    Thanks
    Hello kbh0112!

I have the JD MCS so I can't offer advice on the cyclone. From what I see they certainly have the capacity, but would maybe be concerned about the trailer depending on how steep your slope is. Just something to consider on the trailer styles as well as the reduced agility due to turning radius, etc.

Best of luck!
    Levi likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Randy. Good point. Slope is not bad (about 4%), but enough to cause erosion if i dont get the leaves up.
    Everything Attachments
    RatchetRake 52"

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Thanks
    I have a Trac-Vac 580 that I hooked-up to my 1025r using a JD boot coming off my 60D, no fan powerboot impeller fan add on. The combination did great. The mower has enough force to throw it up into the hose then the trac-vac impeller vacuum took it from there and chopped it up and into the bin. I tend to circle right to always throw whatever doesn't go up the tube and thrown out the side gets another go around on the next pass. The cyclone I think should work just as well. You could also go up hill and downhill versus across the slope if you were worrying about tipping. Look on Craigslist for a Trac-vac or Cyclone. I picked mine up for $750. Well below the cost of a new one. I would go with a JD boot. It was under $100. Yes it is plastic, but the trac-vac metal one was $230 or so. Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trac-vac.jpg  
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2014- JD 1025r
    L120 59" FEL, 260 BH, 60D MMM
    66"/54" plow with Artillian extension and rubber edge
    Artillian 36" forks
    JD 550 3PT Tiller
    54" spike aerator
    Fimco 3PT 40 gal boom sprayer
    Trac-Vac 580
    CMP 3PT 60" Dethatcher
    51" Lucknow 3PT rear snowblower
    Omni Transformer 3PT weight rack w/ 2" hitch receiver 6-42lbs weights

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by khb0112 View Post
    Hey y'all. Just decided to invest in a Cyclone Rake to use with my 1025r. Have about 3 acres of sloped lawn under mostly Oak, and it's a hellacious job every year around this season getting all those leaves removed.
    All the research I've done on this product seems very positive, but with a price tag for the mid-range model coming in at just over 2K, it's a significant chunk of change. Just want to be sure I'm making a smart move, so any experience you have and share will be much appreciated.
    Be safe, and thanks.
    I guess just to throw this out there. If the price of just over 2K has you worried, the John Deere 3 bag MCS for the 1025r is over 2K as well. I believe Cyclone rake will let you "test drive" their product, or at least they used to. I believe they also have the dual wheel option that may help some with stability but is meant more to prevent the hopper from sinking into the lawn. I looked at a Cyclone Rake at one time and they wanted me to buy the biggest (Z 10 I believe the model is) and I only had a 38" deck on my old Toro lawn tractor. Not sure what size deck you have on your 1025r, but I know my 60" will fill up bags in a hurry if the grass is long or the leaves are deep.

Good luck.
    Levi likes this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cheesetrain For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (12-11-2014)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks 96PSD. Yup, checked craigslist and didnt find anything decent. They are willing to throw in the upgraded metal boot for 150, so not bad.
    Cheesetrain - guessing that dual wheel is a good option too. Right now they have a special deal going on with a few hundred bucks of the normal price. Also offerred a floor model for another couple hundred off and it still has the 'try for a year' option. I'll be using it on a 54" deck, and the Commercial Pro model seems plenty big enough.
    As soon as it arrives, I'll take some before and after pics of the property to show how well it works, or not :-).
    rgd and Levi like this.
    Everything Attachments
    RatchetRake 52"

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    11-03-2019 @ 12:47 AM
    Thanks

Cyclone rake

I've owned a cyclone rake now for 5 years and absolutely love it. I had it on my gx345 first and now adapted to fit on my 1025r. I have the dual wheel kit and it helps minimize the lawn damage when it's full. I beleive it is the mid model with the 7 horse engine. It does take a little practice to get used to the solid hitch design but it works awesome once you use it for a bit. It's got plenty of power and turns all my maple leaves to dust. I also picked mine up on Craigslist used for $800. I'm glad I went with the cyclone due to its large capacity and ease of emptying. I'm sure you won't regret the decision.
    Levi and LoneStranger like this.
    2013 John Deere 1025r TLB 60" deck, independent lift installed, ballast box, Artillian Forks and blinders, diverter, plow adaptor, 54" snow plow, JD quick hitch with Omni Transformer, 60” back blade, 60” landscape rake, CT attachments grapple, 2” wheel spacers, all of Kenny’s goodies, CMP attachments rear dethatcher, MCS 20 dump from seat bagger and powerflo, all of BXpanded goodies. Front and rear chains.
    2001 F350 7.3 diesel mild upgrades
    Previous tractor-2003 GX345

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Thanks
    I just bought a Cyclone Rake (Z-10) this season. I also have a 1025R, but I chose to use it with my SCAG zero turn mower. (I also bought the hose and boot for the 1025R, but thought I would first try it with the SCAG since it easier to maneuver.) We also have a LOT of oak leaves, but our property is flat.). The CR did a very good job, but you will have to dump the trailer often even though it does a good job of mulching. I made the mistake of NOT wearing a mask and after a weekend of doing our leaves and my mother's I ended up with a bad bout of allergy troubles. Probably more than you needed to know!
    rgd and Levi like this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by khb0112 View Post
    Thanks 96PSD. Yup, checked craigslist and didnt find anything decent. They are willing to throw in the upgraded metal boot for 150, so not bad.
    Cheesetrain - guessing that dual wheel is a good option too. Right now they have a special deal going on with a few hundred bucks of the normal price. Also offerred a floor model for another couple hundred off and it still has the 'try for a year' option. I'll be using it on a 54" deck, and the Commercial Pro model seems plenty big enough.
    As soon as it arrives, I'll take some before and after pics of the property to show how well it works, or not :-).
    Getting a couple hundred off and still have the try for a year option. Sounds like a win win to me. Are they sending you something to attach it to the 1025r since Cyclone rakes are dual pinned with the swiveling wheels? I know some folks make their own bracket as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi likes this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Howdy MoMiner. The Z looks like a killer machine. Good point about the mask - hope you to get to feel better soon.
    Levi likes this.
    Everything Attachments
    RatchetRake 52"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to khb0112 For This Useful Post:

MoMiner (12-11-2014)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast