My review of the Dirt Dog 60" Grapple and WR Long Diverter kit.
Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By Super55
  • 1 Post By Eugene

Thread: My review of the Dirt Dog 60" Grapple and WR Long Diverter kit.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 AM
    Thanks

My review of the Dirt Dog 60" Grapple and WR Long Diverter kit.

I finally bit the bullet and purchased my grapple and diverter kit so I thought I would share some of my opinions and experiences along to the others to help them along in the process if they were considering a grapple or diverter valve purchase.

WR Long Diverter kit: First off, The system is incredibly easy to install. A couple large self tapping screws to install is all you need. I purchased mine with the hydraulic hoses included and all hoses were correct lengths for easy installation. Only had two issues: One was that the fitting ends for the hose from diverter to the hard lines had two different types of fittings. They ended up putting the same fittings on each on each end of the adapter hoses. A quick run to the hydraulic supply store, 15 dollars and two fittings later I was in business. The other issue I had which was no fault of the supplier was they supplied hoses for the implement. They were both 36" but after snapping a fitting I had found that a 48" and 60" will allow full range of the curl and closing the lid function.

Dirt Dog Grapple: General opinion is I am satisfied with the grapple. I haven't really had a chance to really stretch it's legs so to speak but the welds are solid and overall finish on the product is that is a well made product. I moved a significant amount of brush with it and it worked great. Used to push over several dead trees and then grapple the tree away. Pushed brush with it and even used to the lid to back blade to see if it would scarify some frozen ground which it did without any issues. I really wanted to try and move some large boulders with it but didn't have any reason to move any. No real issues with the unit. Its a solid unit, clamps well, great fit and finish and at 365# it is not overbearing on my JD 420 loader and the JD quick pins line up well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0767.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	36642 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0769.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	36643 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0771.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	36644

Pic 1 Diverter valve installation
    Pic 2 Grapple with lid fully opened
    Pic 3 maximum curl with lid closed to show necessity of having a 48 and 60" hydraulic lines from the loader couplings to the implement.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Super55 For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (12-12-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,132 Times in 2,575 Posts
    Thanks for the review
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Thanks
    THANKS for the review!! I am particularly interested in how that grapple works for you. I've looked at that grapple and really like it but have had a hard time finding anyone that has had experience with it.

It looks like a great grapple at a great price. Who did you buy yours through?

Be SURE to keep this thread updated as you use the grapple.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    I got the grapple through McGee Farm Equipment, Inc. The purchase was pretty painless and it was listed cheaper than even through the manufacturer dirt dog. They don't keep any in stock and if fact it ships directly from dirt dog according to the lady I spoke with. Total price with shipping included came out to around 1400 dollars.

I like how it's as wide as the footprint of my tractor and not overly excessive in weight at about 375 pounds. I was able to swing it around into the corner of my barn without any issue by hand.

One thing I plan to try in the spring is to try and use it to grub up some autumn olive bushes on the property. It had no issues uprooting some small dead pines they were dead so I consider that not much of a challenge.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    12-13-2016 @ 02:23 PM
    Thanks
    That looks great! I'd love to have a grapple, looks handy as all get out!
    John Deere 1023E with H120 loader, 54D mower deck, JD Ballast box, iMatch, Frontier forks, & a Frontier SB1154 snowblower.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks
    Nice.... If you can post a short vid of it in use would be great
    JohnDeereYooper likes this.
    2013 1025R, H120 FEL, 54" AutoConnect Deck w/ Ind. Lift and Mulching Kit, John Deere 647 Roto-Tiller 48”, 54" JD Front Hydraulic Blade, Frontier 2060L Rear 5’ Blade, I-Match, Heavy Hitch with 8 Suitcase weights and 2" trailer receiver hitch, Ken's Bolt on hooks and Pedal Extension, Mower Deck Axles, Rim Guard in Tires, PSrumors heavy seat springs, Artillian's Horse Blinders and UHMW cutting edge.

Life Sponsor Ducks Unlimited
    Life Member of NRA

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Nice.... If you can post a short vid of it in use would be great
    It will be a few months but I will try and get a short vid of it in action. Unfortunately Im away from my beloved deere for a few months for work.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 12:08 PM
    Thanks
    "Used to push over several dead trees"

Please be aware that the tops of dead trees are notorious for breaking off and falling on equipment operators. Just sayin'
    It's just that I've had safety hammered into my head for so long that I had to post this, I'm sorry.

Otherwise, Great information and enjoy your grapple!!! I hope the one I built is as useful even though it weighs twice as much......

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mtrmn For This Useful Post:

UncleMike (12-23-2014)

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Super55 View Post
    It will be a few months but I will try and get a short vid of it in action. Unfortunately Im away from my beloved deere for a few months for work.

Wondering if you're back to MI yet. Anxious to see this thing in action as I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the same grapple in the near future.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements