Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Quick hitch front mower

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-02-2015 @ 03:09 PM
    Thanks

Quick hitch front mower

So I've been doing some searching thinking that maybe someone has already built a mower of some sort on the quick hitch on the front of there tractor. We'll I found nothing. Coming from owning a steiner and seeing some on the early cubs did have a option like this I thought it could be handy. Share you thoughts or maybe some one on here has done it. I'm thinking of building something but it would be nice to see someone's idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    I've thought about this a fair bit as my last mower was a golf course mower, F932 Front Deck mower. It did a much better job as the deck was deeper and the grass gets cut before the wheels lay it down. The belly mower I have now tends to leave strips behind as the front wheels lay it down so it doesn't get cut.

My thought was to adapt a front mower deck to our tractor. Our tractors have a 2200RPM mid PTO shaft output so using a rear mower on the front won't work without some kind of gear reduction. Front deck mowers run around 1800-1900Rpm which is pretty close and you could always throttle back a bit as needed.

You would still need to do all the fabbing of mounts and driveline hook up. The front deck mower has a 2 point lifting system that might be able to adapted over.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2015 @ 03:09 PM
    Thanks
    I m going to keep my eyes peeled for a front mower and do something.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-29-2019 @ 12:07 AM
    Thanks
    IF I were looking to make these mods I'd choose my 54D mower deck AND mount it backwards on the front of the tractor. In my experience both my 54D and 48C mow 10 times better backing up with the 54D WAY AHEAD on cut quality. Either of those decks front mounted backward would be total killer leaf destroyers.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    03-08-2015 @ 06:40 PM
    Thanks
    I have thought the same thing! I've looked at my 62c deck and it seems to me all you would have to do is hang the deck from the frame of a front sweeper setup? The same drive shaft setup for the snowblower or sweeper can run the mower deck just fine. The shaft on the mower is already facing the correct direction. I envision a front frame like on some sweepers that has two wheels out front and just hang the deck from that. seems simple enough.
    HydroHarold and BigJim55 like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    02-26-2017 @ 07:54 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
    So I've been doing some searching thinking that maybe someone has already built a mower of some sort on the quick hitch on the front of there tractor. We'll I found nothing. Coming from owning a steiner and seeing some on the early cubs did have a option like this I thought it could be handy. Share you thoughts or maybe some one on here has done it. I'm thinking of building something but it would be nice to see someone's idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paZqI1iSSTo
    mjncad and BigJim55 like this.
    2013 4720 with 400cx loader and 4-n-1 bucket ,485 backhoe with 18" bucket. Soon to come Artillian HD forks,TSC 7' tiller,I- match,Hydraulic box blade,frontier rear 7' snowblower,7' frontier snow blade and root grapple. SOLD2013 John Deere 1025r filb with alot of #hit that's more than 500 characters apparently!

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:18 AM
    Thanks
    For some reason the Europeans have options and attachments available to them that we can only lust after.

However; if you are looking for a front PTO for your tractor; check JD parts as you can probably get the kit and/or parts numbers for European items. Then contact your dealer and see if they can get them for you. For all you know they could be sitting in a Deere warehouse on the East Coast somewhere.

My 4200's shop manual shows European wiring diagrams, front PTO's, a factory cab, etc that weren't available in North America.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    03-08-2015 @ 06:40 PM
    Thanks
    That video shows a Deere with a front 3 point hitch. I believe that the front 3 point is available on some U.S. tractors, New Holland for one. I just thought it would be nice to run a mower on the front of my 2210 for easier trimming under apple trees and overall a better cut, not to mention easier maintenance.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    02-26-2017 @ 07:54 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by megotadeere View Post
    That video shows a Deere with a front 3 point hitch. I believe that the front 3 point is available on some U.S. tractors, New Holland for one. I just thought it would be nice to run a mower on the front of my 2210 for easier trimming under apple trees and overall a better cut, not to mention easier maintenance.
    The front 3 point hitch runs the 59" snow blower, 66" snow blade or 60" broom for a 3000 series tractor also. Just wondering what the OP has for a tractor.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2013 4720 with 400cx loader and 4-n-1 bucket ,485 backhoe with 18" bucket. Soon to come Artillian HD forks,TSC 7' tiller,I- match,Hydraulic box blade,frontier rear 7' snowblower,7' frontier snow blade and root grapple. SOLD2013 John Deere 1025r filb with alot of #hit that's more than 500 characters apparently!

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    You would think with all the lawyers we seem to have here in the US that would be pushing to have the implement out front so the operator can see what is going on.
    mjncad and ColonyPark like this.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast