Need some help on if when a piece was MFG matters?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Need some help on if when a piece was MFG matters?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Thanks

Need some help on if when a piece was MFG matters?

I forgot there are people on here that take great delight in being condescending to others. I removed the post to make them happy.
    Last edited by USAFRet; 05-23-2018 at 04:05 PM.

2017 1025R with turf tires
    H120 FEL with 53" Bucket Quick Change
    54" Autoconnect Mower, mulch kit and hyd mower lift
    54" Quick-Hitch Two Stage Snow Blower Hyd Rotator with Remote Spout Cap kit
    Ballast box with tubes
    IMatch
    Engine blanket
    LED lights
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks and rear hitch
    Country Time/Tarter 48" Tiller
    Titan carriage & 42" forks

PS Everyone knows what a 1025R looks like so my Avatar is a picture of my two girls!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to USAFRet For This Useful Post:

9MMMAC†(05-24-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:00 PM
    Thanks
    This comes up fairly often on here. I personally think the issue is over-blown but I can see why people get irked too.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFRet View Post
    If I buy a left over 2016 car in 2017 it is new but it still a 2016. Why isn't this the same for tractors?

Thanks for any help on this but I think a customer should have the right to know the mfg year of any equipment he/she is buying...........
    It isn't the same for tractors because tractor manufacturer's aren't using the same sales gimmicks that car manufacturer's are using. The folks that make cars have convinced us that buying the newest model year means you are getting something "better". You're buying the "latest and greatest". Even if you aren't. For the car maker, the "model year" is a big deal because they made it a big deal. And they try to convince us that it's a big deal as a sales gimmick.

Tractor manufacturers rely on serial number break (for minor changes) or model number changes (for major changes) to signify when they make a change to a tractor, not the model year. They don't really care about model years at all.

So let's change up your question a little here. You walk onto a dealer's lot and they have two identical 2018 Ford Mustangs that you are interested in. One was built in Dec 2017. The other was built in Jan 2018. Do you care? A 2018 Ford Mustang is a 2018 Ford Mustang, isn't it?

And even if you did care and bought the one that was built in Jan 2018, do you check to see when the engine that is in that car was built? Or when the tires were made? Or when the bolts that hold the whole thing together were made? Would you be upset of you bought a 2018 car and found out that the engine it it was built in 2017?
    BigJim55, coaltrain and Herminator like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Agreed Jim.

In all my years I have never seen model years of tractors causing any concern until recently on this forum.
    Drifterbike and Herminator like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks
    Last june I purchase a 2038R and was told it would be a 2017. They had the MMM on hand and he tagged it that day then come to find out I had a 8 month wait because of the radial tires. They had one on hand with out radials but it was the one they took to several county fairs. it had 8 hours showing but my main concern was all the people crawling on it. I decided to wait. well 6 months later mine came in early?? and it was a 2018. they put the deck on it and its in my garage. My feeling is that when I am gone and my wife is selling it it will be listed has a 2018 2038R with loader and mower. No one is going to crawl done and check the serial number on the mower. I think what matters is the year of the tractor.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,260 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Agreed Jim.

In all my years I have never seen model years of tractors causing any concern until recently on this forum.
    Ok... so the year-date obsession lately is not just my imagination.
    BigJim55, coaltrain and Herminator like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 05:49 PM
    Thanks
    I must have missed that thread.
    I have found that GTT is the most courteous forum I have ever read.
    I'm sorry that someone may have been obtuse with you.
    BigJim55, Herminator and Fozsey like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

10. Top | #7
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    I forgot there are people on here that take great delight in being condescending to others. I removed the post to make them happy.
    Iím sorry you feel this way. If you feel like youíve been disrespected in a thread or post, please report it so the staff can respond and deal with it accordingly. Itís completely anonymous and easy.

But, Iíll give you a tiny bit of advice. Written word can easily be taken out of the context it was written in. You could be reading into a post thinking it was meant another way. It happens very often. Try to give a little leeway or the benefit of the doubt until itís really obvious. Iím not saying thatís what happened in the past or now, but it happens often. Thatís forums. That life online on the internet. Itís unfortunate, but itís the reality.

Feel free to contact me if youíd like to discuss this or anything else.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    I wish you wouldn't have removed it. It is a legitimate question. While such a standard black book doesn't readily exist for tractors, NADA & KBB consider the year of the item to be a key consideration. This can be said of cars, boats, ATV's, campers, etc. Additionally, bank lending rates are dependent upon the year of the proposed financed item. One year can make a difference of a half a point or more in rate or even be the difference between being "financable" or not.

Additionally, if I recall your original post accurately, I totally agree with the thought of wanting something brand new to be brand new. If it isn't and it's been sitting on the lot for a year in the elements, then I'd like to know and be able to use that as a bargaining chip on price. At least I'd have the option then to determine how I want to proceed. The tractor I just purchased for myself was on the lot for awhile. They had to replace several trim pieces that were showing signs of discoloration or corrosion from just hanging out in the elements for all that time.

A smart buyer considers resale value with every significant purchase he makes. Times change, needs change, wants change. One thing's for sure, nothing ever stays the same.

Maybe I should just remove the year from all the tractors I sell since it ain't no thang!
    Last edited by GWT3046r; 05-23-2018 at 08:08 PM.
    BigJim55, keane, Jeff B and 3 others like this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks
    I hope my input wasn't taken to be mean or obnoxious.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    I hope my input wasn't taken to be mean or obnoxious.
    Drifterbike, you are the last person I would say would be offensive. As others have said I think people for the most part and especially the regular posters on this forum have no interest in being rude, just helpful.

As far as the year, I suppose it matters for the first 10 years but after that a 3020 is a 3020, a 70 a 70 or a 6130 a 6130.
    Last edited by Herminator; 05-23-2018 at 11:07 PM.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast