• 4 Post By jdmich

Thread: 54 Blade (snowplow) on a gravel driveway

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,150 Times in 2,306 Posts

54 Blade (snowplow) on a gravel driveway

I'm in a bit of a quandary here - looking for opinions to help me make up my mind. Also I find that writing our things like this really help me as I tend to get "zoned out" while over thinking things like this......

I am now the proud owner of a set of Artilian forks as most of you know. As with most acquisitions like this I then like to add more goodies or accessorize to get more functionality. With this now comes the thought of adding a 54 blade since Chris has a great setup to use one of the fork frame. I've gotten over my first inhibitions with having a plow on the loader arms - I know my driveway very well now after 20 years and have no obstacles such as rocks or stumps to hit that could cause a tweak in the loader arms. That being overcome, I now have another hesitation....

I've been clearing snow from my driveway for 7 winters now with my 54" bucket (53"?). It does a good enough job. About 1/2 my snow removal is a straight push at an intersection where I push all the excess snow into a gully that runs along half the driveway. Sure, it takes a while but one thing I have now is plenty of time.

My concern now - back before I had my 2520 I plowed the driveway with my 332 w/54 blade. Early in the season the ground isn't frozen yet and I had a lot of gravel pushed into windrows on the lawn. Once the ground was frozen this wasn't an issue of course. But here in NW Penna we get weird winters - some like last year when it froze solid right away and stayed that way - then others when it never froze. I've gotten pretty good with my bucket being able to angle the cutting edge up slightly when the ground is soft and am quite proud of hardly any gravel in the grass. I'm afraid of using a 54 blade and having all that gravel in the grass again - there is no way we can use a rake like that anymore cleaning up in the spring.

I've seen some nice modifications to the skid shoes here on the forum - one who used a pair of round shoes from an ATV plow which look like they would work well. I also thought about the Artilian cutting edge - the heavy duty one. I still think I would be pushing gravel off into the grass.

Now the biggest problem - I was looking at a local on-line classified ad and found a 54 blade in the next town over. Beautiful shape with both hydraulic cylinders, quick attach, and tractor mount for a 400 series tractor. The seller lowered his asking price from $650 to $550 so I think I could probably get it for $500. Now I know myself all too well and a lot of times I do stuff just because I can. But this would be a huge purchase for me and need to be sure I am not going to regret it. Actually this would be a project for next winter as I would also have to save up for the Artillian adapter and hose kit.

Pics of my driveway:

Untitled by sterling2424, on Flickr

BigJim55 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 653 Posts
    I can't help answer your questions about the plow as I use my bucket also, but I have to comment on your beautiful property. Very nice!
    - Phil -
    *Spinner Free* LT160 Garden Tractor
    *Spinner Free* 3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    *Spinner Free* John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 01:21 PM
    Thanks
    Gravel is gravel. You'll have the same problems you've had in the past. You can minimize that when the driveway is still soft by dropping the plow all the way down and then lifting it 3/4" or so but that means you wouldn't be in float mode so you'd have to watch for high spots.
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,150 Times in 2,306 Posts
    Yeah - you both are right - and I know it also - just had to write it out. Had I not seen that ad I wouldn't have thought twice about just keep doing what works for me. Plus I am in major "want vs. need" mode now and this certainly isn't a "need".

Thanks guys!
    Superglidesport and BigJim55 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,081 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Most years, come Spring I use the plow (shoes removed) and back blade any gravel I managed to get on the grass. What remains gets pushed into the ground with the mower. I have also used the FEL to back blade.
    Note: Hard to beat a chain lift on a snow plow.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    I took the cutting edge off the 54 blade for my 420, bolted an angle iron in it's place then welded a piece of pipe to the angle Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1383.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	37512

It isn't going to scrape asphalt or concrete, but works good on small gravel (3/8") & grass.
    ColonyPark, AWK, JKR and 2 others like this.
    Lowell

1944 JD LA, 1953 JD 40S, 93-755 w/60" deck, '04-790 w/300 loader, 2000-F725, '07 "TS" Gator, 80-314 & numerous attachments!, 1980-2418 Power King, 1948 AC "G" & 1961 International Cub Lo Boy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to grnspot110 For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (12-29-2014)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:24 AM
    Thanks
    I use a plow on my FEL. I have shoes on it and roll the plow back with the loader so it rides on the shoes. Don't keep all the gravel from getting in lawn especially with wet snow but it helps. I also have a back blade that I welded brackets on for shoes also. Also on the back blade I found if I turn it around so the cutting edges is the opposite direction of travel it don't dig in and pull up as much graved. Wet snow and before driveway freezes seams to be a problem no matter what you do. Always have some raking of gravel in the spring no matter what.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements