Thanks

Ideas on a vegetable garden cultivator

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toolbar%20Diagram-580x390[1].jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	37496

Gentlemen,

So I have a garden and a 1025r with a tiller. I'm looking to you guys for creative ways to weed my vegetable garden after it is planted. I've thought about buying a little honda/mantis front tine tiller or even a tiller attachment on the end of a weed trimmer. However, I started thinking that some sort of cultivator with thought out row spacing would be a good idea.

The tractor is 48" wide.
    The tires are 12" wide.
    Tiller is 52" wide.
    I will need to measure the ground clearance of the tractor as this maybe my limiting factor as the plants grow. I will need to check with wife on height of certain plants (peppers, beans, peas) as I may be able to have all the short plants in one area. I have even thought about making my rows 52+" apart as I have a lot of room!

My mind keeps going back to a peice of 2" square tubing about 8+ feet wide with shanks/tines U bolted on for my row spacing mounted on the 3 point. Kind of like Heavy Hitch's but a lot wider so that I can go over multiple rows...

I have access to a welder and some steel but not endless tinkering or ability.
    Last edited by weekend warrior; 12-29-2014 at 03:25 PM.
    PAST: 13' X738, 87' 318, 72' 140 (wish I still had all of them)
    PRESENT: 1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, 47" QH blower, Case 52" tiller, FIMCO Sprayer, Ballast Box, Subsoiler, springs & hooks
    FUTURE: Forks, Cab, Quick Hitch Blade

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks
    I thought of this very same thing (have similar equipment), but alas ground clearance is definitely the issue I had. Basically, anything taller than a potato will get knocked over. We planted our rows wider apart so I could till the weeds between rows, and then picked up a small gas powered cultivator to work between the plants. I worked out pretty well, considering we use no herbicides or pesticides (that aren't natural), and grow 90% heirloom.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    Yeah, ground clearance will be an issue....

What about having a 52" wide tiller row and then narrow rows on each side of it? The wider the cultivator the more narrow rows?

I suppose none of this factors in all the tall plants: sweet corn, tomatoes, etc.. I need to mechanize this garden!
    PAST: 13' X738, 87' 318, 72' 140 (wish I still had all of them)
    PRESENT: 1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, 47" QH blower, Case 52" tiller, FIMCO Sprayer, Ballast Box, Subsoiler, springs & hooks
    FUTURE: Forks, Cab, Quick Hitch Blade

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks
    Yes, get a smaller cultivator so you can actually plant some stuff in your big garden. We were going to do the same thing again this year (wide rows and cultivator), but are also thinking of putting the black plastic down on the planting rows so no weeds can get through at all. Looks like this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	615x200-ehow-images-a07-lh-q4-black-sheets-kill-garden-weeds-800x800.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	37497
    rgd and weekend warrior like this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 5304 For This Useful Post:

weekend warrior (12-29-2014)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,070 Posts
    With space not being a concern why not get the implement like you have pictured and get all the attachments you need. That way you can straddle the rows when possible and when not you can go in between the rows and do whatever you want. You can cultivate or hill each row before and after planting. That is the kind of equipment I've been looking at to get for myself. I'd want 4 to 6 tines at least and 2 disks with all of them to be able to be taken off or be placed anywhere on the bar. You can add as needed later on anything else you might need. There are many different ones on the market so you need to look around to get the one that will work for you or to see just how you want to make one. I'm going to have a bigger garden this year so I'm looking to see just which one I'll end up with. Hoeing is going to be relegated to in between the plants and a cultivator for in between the rows to get rid of weeds. The disks are for hilling the rows before planting and for hilling the potatoes after they start growing. Good luck.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 988 Posts
    We have struggled with this too. I have the 48" tiller for the tractor and a rear tine walk behind cub cadet tiller and a craftsman mini cultivator (think Mantis). The craftsman died last season. The cub needs work, so I need to figure it all out too. I have transitioned to raised beds and only till a 20'x40' garden now that needs to be fenced like Fort Knox. I am going to put my money in fixing the old cub (it is a late 80's model that belonged to my great grandfather) and buy a Stihl Kombi system with a cultivator. FWIW we also tried the black plastic and for us it just worked better in theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    weekend warrior likes this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ColonyPark For This Useful Post:

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 06:21 AM
    Thanks
    Food Lion and IGA sell fresh veggies........
    ColonyPark likes this.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:13 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berger View Post
    Food Lion and IGA sell fresh veggies........
    Nothing like home grown tomatoes, or most veggies for that matter.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubber For This Useful Post:

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:12 AM
    Thanks
    There are all kinds of 3pt cultivator options... Yes... Tractor ground clearance will be an issue depending on the row crop involved and tractor involved... My old JD 855 only has about 10" clearance at most stripped down to its max...

Here is my homemade tool bar with chisel points... You can change the pattern of diggers and chisels to shovels as needed...
    Also a purchased attachment that is both reasonable priced, and versatile....

Good luck
    ===
    Homemade...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ead1e9ca-b41a-462a-9768-4c181997f02f_zpse48f4acd.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	37521

Purchased..... One example...
    King Kutter One Row "C" Tine Cultivator
    Keep your stick on the ice... Red Green

The further north you go, the more things that can and want to eat your horse and you. Grandpa Gilbert.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements