• 2 Post By thehobbyfarmer
  • 1 Post By thehobbyfarmer

Thread: No Till Drill for 2025R

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-18-2018 @ 09:07 AM
    Thanks

No Till Drill for 2025R

I'm opening up a small (4500 sq ft) area to start a no till. Putting in a fall cover crop and then planting corn, veggies, lettuce, etc... next Spring. With all of the cover crop laying on the ground in the Spring, I wanted to find a seed drill that could rip through the mess. Using a push drill seems like it will be a lot of work due to the cover crop residue. Any suggestions on a good seed drill that can hookup to my iMatch Cat 1 hitch?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,276 Posts
    This just came up in another thread recently, this is what I found, but I don't think we have enough tractor.
    https://www.landpride.com/products/7...compact-drills
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    This just came up in another thread recently, this is what I found, but I don't think we have enough tractor.
    https://www.landpride.com/products/7...compact-drills
    I said I have a 2025R. That's ~25-28 hp. So no, this won't work.
    Herminator likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thehobbyfarmer View Post
    I said I have a 2025R. That's ~25-28 hp. So no, this won't work.
    I know, just saying this is the smallest one I found a few weeks ago, maybe try a food plot seeder.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 04:21 AM
    Thanks
    Are you looking for a small seed drill for the fall planting of the cover crops or for something like a single row planter for planting your spring seeds? Most drills handle smaller seeds at closer intervals whereas a planter will typically only do well with larger seeds such as corn, beans and to some extent flat seeds like sunflower.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    I have been looking for a small no-till drill as well. Land Pride, Brillion and a couple others come to mind but are way too much $$$ for me. Was wondering if there was a wau to build my own somehow.
    JD 2520, 200cx loader, I-Match Quick Hitch, Ballast box, Kens Bolt on Hooks, Homebuilt 42"Pallet Forks, Temp gauge installed, Edge Tamers, Work lights

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 04:21 AM
    Thanks
    The only small sized drills I know of are the Field Tuff 3-point seeder which Northern Tool and TSC sell which isn't true no-till and a company called Genesis makes a very small sized no-till drill but it is quite an investment in purchasing one. These are the only drills that I know of that are currently on the market that are sized appropriately for compact utility tractors.

I do all my seed drilling with an old 8 foot John deere seed drill and while not a true no-till drill I have used it in no till applications and have had very good success with it but there are so many variables in soil that what works for me might be complete failure for others.

Basically all I do is cut the field as low as possible with a bush hog, spray if needed and wait for a day with a really good soaker rain to help loosen up the soil and then run the drill. The one good thing about cover crop seed is that it is generally pretty cheap and it is quick to germinate. Most of the time all you have to do is get the seed with a bare minimum of soil contact and it will take off. Planting depth isn't so critical.

The one piece of advice I would give on a seed drill is if anyone buys an older model of yesteryear is to get one with double disc openers. They are much better at getting the seed where it needs to be with minimal field prep.
    BigJim55, Herminator and PJR832 like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Super55 View Post
    The only small sized drills I know of are the Field Tuff 3-point seeder which Northern Tool and TSC sell which isn't true no-till and a company called Genesis makes a very small sized no-till drill but it is quite an investment in purchasing one. These are the only drills that I know of that are currently on the market that are sized appropriately for compact utility tractors.

I do all my seed drilling with an old 8 foot John deere seed drill and while not a true no-till drill I have used it in no till applications and have had very good success with it but there are so many variables in soil that what works for me might be complete failure for others.

Basically all I do is cut the field as low as possible with a bush hog, spray if needed and wait for a day with a really good soaker rain to help loosen up the soil and then run the drill. The one good thing about cover crop seed is that it is generally pretty cheap and it is quick to germinate. Most of the time all you have to do is get the seed with a bare minimum of soil contact and it will take off. Planting depth isn't so critical.

The one piece of advice I would give on a seed drill is if anyone buys an older model of yesteryear is to get one with double disc openers. They are much better at getting the seed where it needs to be with minimal field prep.
    Would a Jang JP6 model work? I have been looking at that. Also just thinking about using a JP1 push (single row) model, but I'm not sure how hard that would be to do into a cover.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Super55 View Post
    Are you looking for a small seed drill for the fall planting of the cover crops or for something like a single row planter for planting your spring seeds? Most drills handle smaller seeds at closer intervals whereas a planter will typically only do well with larger seeds such as corn, beans and to some extent flat seeds like sunflower.
    Cover crops and spring seeds (both).
    BigJim55 likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements