• 1 Post By newgreenrunner
  • 1 Post By firemachine69

Thread: Had to make frame repairs to 270A backhoe

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Thanks

Had to make frame repairs to 270A backhoe

So the first thing I want to say is I use my backhoe for pretty much the toughest thing you can do with something this small, that being digging out very large stumps. Maybe “ripping out stumps” would be a better description as I have a BXpanded ripper tooth installed for that purpose. If I was just using the backhoe to dig holes in soil (like most normal people would do) I seriously doubt that I would have had this issue.

What I’ve found is that since the backhoe has more than enough power to drag the tractor (2025R classic) around, the pins that hold the stabilizers and stabilizer cylinders to the frame have bent,as well as egg shaped the mounting holes in the frame. See part #28 in the first picture. Knowing that at some point something far worse was going to happen if a pin actually snapped I decided I better do a field expedient repair using the stuff I have access to on my hunting property.

I took some 3x3” plates and drilled .750 “ holes in them which is the same size as the factory pin. Then I picked up some Double H hitch pins .750x4” to use in place of the OEM pin since I needed more length because of the installation of the fabricated plates. I clamped to plates in place with the longer pins installed and then welded them into place. My cheapo flux core welder actually needs more watts than my cheapo generator can deliver, but hey you do the best with what you have. I got it all done yesterday morning just before it began pouring rain so I didn’t have a chance to get the totally finished pics, but you’ll get the idea with what I have here. I had enough time to dig a few test holes and was happy with the results.

Hoping this might to useful to someone else someday as I’ve learned so many great tips from many of you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    mjncad, Gizmo2, jgayman and 14 others like this.
    -2015 John Deere 2025R
    w/R4's and 2.5 " wheel spacers front and rear, FEL, Imatch QH, Ballast Box
    270 A backhoe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EBhunts For This Useful Post:

kylew (06-03-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Thanks
    Fantastic field repair.
    BigJim55, greenharley and JD4044M like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,105 Posts
    great fix.
    greenharley and JD4044M like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:47 AM
    Thanks
    Great job now that it is fixed weld some harden collars on the outside then the pins wear out first. You can get them off ebay or a ACE Hardware would have them. Just don't over weld the collar to keep the hardness in most of it. Having a portable generator comes in handy too!
    Gizmo2, BigJim55, Jep and 2 others like this.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 12:52 PM
    Thanks
    When I break mine, I know who to call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    greenharley likes this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    FYI OP, just so you know, JD specifically states in the manual not to use the backhoe to move the tractor around.

As someone who's used larger machines, I can definitely understand it's a hard habit to break.
    JD4044M likes this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements