Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Clumsy Hidden Ujoint on RC2072 PTO shaft

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-19-2018 @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks

Clumsy Hidden Ujoint on RC2072 PTO shaft

Surely this has been covered long ago, and if so I apologize but I can't find the thread.

I just bought an RC2072 rotary cutter a few work-hours back, and I'm a guy who takes maintenance very seriously. So need-it-or-not I decided to grease the ujoints on the PTO shaft. No problem of course on the forward end of the shaft after dropping it off the PTO... but the aft end at the slip clutch is a whole other story. There's a big rubber(?) shroud that's in the way whichever I go. How are you supposed to access the zerk on the ujoint there?

The rubber(?) shroud has access plates on each side which seemed the obvious answer but despite a lot of twisting and turning the access plates don't seem to help much. I can't believe JD expects to take the entire shaft loose aft of the slip clutch every time you want to lube a ujoint, and because of the way it's attached neither does it make sense to take the rubber(?) shroud off every time.

Would someone who has cracked the code straighten me out?
    BigJim55, em14, DeereBoots and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,279 Posts
    I took the shrouds off of my tiller and rotary cutter
    BigJim55, coaltrain, em14 and 1 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VA406BU View Post
    Surely this has been covered long ago, and if so I apologize but I can't find the thread.

I just bought an RC2072 rotary cutter a few work-hours back, and I'm a guy who takes maintenance very seriously. So need-it-or-not I decided to grease the ujoints on the PTO shaft. No problem of course on the forward end of the shaft after dropping it off the PTO... but the aft end at the slip clutch is a whole other story. There's a big rubber(?) shroud that's in the way whichever I go. How are you supposed to access the zerk on the ujoint there?

The rubber(?) shroud has access plates on each side which seemed the obvious answer but despite a lot of twisting and turning the access plates don't seem to help much. I can't believe JD expects to take the entire shaft loose aft of the slip clutch every time you want to lube a ujoint, and because of the way it's attached neither does it make sense to take the rubber(?) shroud off every time.

Would someone who has cracked the code straighten me out?
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 AM
    Thanks
    I have a RC2048, and it sounds/may be similar.

The plastic or rubber shroud with the 2 access panels. Forget it.

On mine, I pulled the front half of the PTO shaft off the rear and set it aside. The plastic shaft guard that covers the rear shaft (the one that has a chain, to be able to fasten it to keep it from rotating) has a screw holding the outer (black plastic) guard to a white, locking retainer, near the rear u-joint. Remove the screw and twist the shaft guard to get it to remove from the locking tab and pull it back. The u-joint grease zerk is now accessible.

Hope this helps. I can post a picture later if you need.
    Last edited by kylew; 06-05-2018 at 01:13 AM.
    OxPath, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    I took the shrouds off of my tiller and rotary cutter
    Tsk Tsk Tsk. Shame on you
    BigJim55, em14, PJR832 and 1 others like this.

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    05-29-2019 @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks
    Kylew,
    I was having the same issue getting to that fitting near the clutch gear box u-joint. I read your post and removed 2 screws on my rc2048 and couldn't get the cover to release and move out of the way. Finally got frustrated and removed the 2 top bolts of the clutch shroud and pulled that forward enough to get the grease gun to the zerk. This wouldn't be my preferred method and think getting that shaft cover out of the way may still be the best option. Is there any thing additional to add to get the shaft cover to slide? It looks like there are white retaining tabs that may be holding it after removing the screws. Thanks
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    Tsk Tsk Tsk. Shame on you
    For the record I meant that I only removed the big toilet bowl shroud that covers the slip clutch
    BigJim55, kylew and JD4044M like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    JD iMATCH
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Elk Creek Acres

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops44rc View Post
    Kylew,
    I was having the same issue getting to that fitting near the clutch gear box u-joint. I read your post and removed 2 screws on my rc2048 and couldn't get the cover to release and move out of the way. Finally got frustrated and removed the 2 top bolts of the clutch shroud and pulled that forward enough to get the grease gun to the zerk. This wouldn't be my preferred method and think getting that shaft cover out of the way may still be the best option. Is there any thing additional to add to get the shaft cover to slide? It looks like there are white retaining tabs that may be holding it after removing the screws. Thanks
    They certainly don't make it very easy, especially on an implement that calls for grease with every use.
    BigJim55, kylew and JD4044M like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    JD iMATCH
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Elk Creek Acres

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Kylew,
    Yes, the white retaining tabs hold the shafts outer cover. After removing the screw, twist the shaft cover a little to line up the slot in the cover with the tab, and you should be able to pull it forward. The first time I did mine it was stiff to rotate on the white tab part. I'll post a couple pictures in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    Tsk Tsk Tsk. Shame on you [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/laugh.gif[/IMG]
    For the record I meant that I only removed the big toilet bowl shroud that covers the slip clutch [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/big beer.gif[/IMG]
    You're just a non-conformist Pat

Kylew,
    They certainly don't make it very easy, especially on an implement that calls for grease with every use. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif[/IMG]
    No doubt. The plastic shaft covers even have plastic grease zerks on them. I tried squirting grease into them and all it does is make a mess inside. Doesn't even get grease down the inner part of the shaft where it really needs to be.
    BigJim55 likes this.

2014 1025R TLB

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    12-19-2018 @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks

Cut a hole

FWIW, my first solution was to take a 1.25 inch hole saw and cut a new access hole in the big bell-shaped shroud. It's still clumsy, but I can get to the zerk now without removing anything. I'm thinking that maybe a 90-degree grease fitting adapter may be helpful too, when I can get one, but so far it looks like this is always going to be a bad design issue? People who make maintenance hard to do just assure that maintenance won't get done.

The plastic grease zerks on the shaft shroud are just for putting in a little lube to make the shroud easy to slide fore and aft, I think. Certainly wouldn't think those would need as much attention as the ones on the U-joints.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast