Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Frankenrake

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks

Frankenrake

Shortly after I got my Frontier rake, I noticed some of the tines were no longer aligned along the bottom. I had assumed they had bent backward from use and just thought I would bend them back another time. However, after I got my adapter to put the rake on the FEL, I noticed the bent tines getting worse. Upon closer inspection, the whole angle iron was bending from the force of use.

I haven't used it in any type of heavy duty situations but needless to say I was disappointed in the build quality and was kicking myself that did not research my original purchase a bit better (ie. an actual heavy duty model). I don't have the cash to invest in new rake so I had a local welding shop straighten it out and reinforce it where possible. A new tube along the back, a few angles here and there and some JD Green and I am back in business.

I call it - the Frankenrake.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	old rake.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	625834

Name:	old rake 2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	625842

Name:	new rake 1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	625850

Name:	new rake 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	625858

Name:	new rake 3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	625866

Name:	new rake 5.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	625874
    Gizmo2, Bubber, rtgt and 12 others like this.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________
    1025r / 60" MMM / iMatch / H120 / 48" Box Blade / 60" Landscape FrankenRake / 36" Pallet Forks / W.R. Long Tree Spade / Titan 3pth FEL Adapter

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,260 Posts
    Were you pushing the rake backwards against the tines? The tines on Landscape rakes are only designed to go in one direction.
    Gizmo2, BigJim55, keane and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:18 AM
    Thanks
    Just a guess is that you are putting too much down pressure on it using the loader. They are designed for 3 point use with gravity.
    Not saying you are wrong for using it on loader mind you but probably need to be a little more attentive to down pressure. Frontier usually makes a pretty stout implement.
    But damn nice fix and mod you did there!
    Last edited by blue87fj60; 06-05-2018 at 03:28 AM.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, Levi and 4 others like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:57 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sblj52 View Post
    Shortly after I got my Frontier rake, I noticed some of the tines were no longer aligned along the bottom. I had assumed they had bent backward from use and just thought I would bend them back another time. However, after I got my adapter to put the rake on the FEL, I noticed the bent tines getting worse. Upon closer inspection, the whole angle iron was bending from the force of use.

I haven't used it in any type of heavy duty situations but needless to say I was disappointed in the build quality and was kicking myself that did not research my original purchase a bit better (ie. an actual heavy duty model). I don't have the cash to invest in new rake so I had a local welding shop straighten it out and reinforce it where possible. A new tube along the back, a few angles here and there and some JD Green and I am back in business.

I call it - the Frankenrake.
    Regardless of how it got bent, your repairs now allow you to use the rake they way you want to use it . . . nice piece of re-engineering!
    Gizmo2, rtgt, Levi and 6 others like this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

1025r Tractor aka Bucky ~ New in April 2018 ~ 225 hours to date, about 13 hours per month - - - no lawn cutting

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Forks ~ Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~ DeThatcher ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blue87fj60 View Post
    Just a guess is that you are putting too much down pressure on it using the loader. They are designed for 3 point use with gravity.
    Not saying you are wrong for using it on loader mind you but probably need to be a little more attentive to down pressure. Frontier usually makes a pretty stout implement.
    I would agree. They are designed to be on the 3pt not the FEL. Even a FEL in float mode might be more down pressure than they are designed for.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,260 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue87fj60 View Post
    I initially thought that too but look at the angle that holds the tines... it is bent DOWN. If too much down pressure was used it would be bent UP. The way it is bent tells me the tines were being pushed backwards AND probably with excessive down force.

Most landscape rake manuals have verbiage about not pushing the tines backwards.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I initially thought that too but look at the angle that holds the tines... it is bent DOWN. If too much down pressure was used it would be bent UP. The way it is bent tells me the tines were being pushed backwards AND probably with excessive down force.

Most landscape rake manuals have verbiage about not pushing the tines backwards.
    The picture is kind of deceiving - the angle iron is bent up. Only the point immediately under the hinge point is still straight. Unfortunately as other posters have mentioned most of the damage was from FEL use. I have learned my lesson and will go easier next time.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, Levi and 3 others like this.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________
    1025r / 60" MMM / iMatch / H120 / 48" Box Blade / 60" Landscape FrankenRake / 36" Pallet Forks / W.R. Long Tree Spade / Titan 3pth FEL Adapter

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,404 Times in 1,103 Posts
    The picture is kind of deceiving - the angle iron is bent up. Only the point immediately under the hinge point is still straight. Unfortunately as other posters have mentioned most of the damage was from FEL use. I have learned my lesson and will go easier next time.
    i don't think ur the first one to show us damage like that on here. another person posted a pic of that angle iron being bent something like that. i have to say the shop done a great fix for ya.

Name:	frontier stone rake.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	626146here's what that rake looked liked back in 2006. it's got the angle iron the other way back then. my worst problem i had was the tines, and how bad i bent them in tree roots, after clearing brush. jd a couple yrs ago wanted like $18 or 17 bucks apiece for these tines. i bought the 6 they had in stock, and then got the rest off of Agri-supply for $3.99 a piece. both say the same thing on them, except the agri-ones was a little bit shorter once mounted. i fixed the jd ones, by grinding a bit off the ends.

i like ur set up on the loader. where did u find that at?thanks
    rtgt, Levi, sblj52 and 2 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim55 For This Useful Post:

sblj52(06-05-2018)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    i don't think ur the first one to show us damage like that on here. another person posted a pic of that angle iron being bent something like that. i have to say the shop done a great fix for ya.

Name:	frontier stone rake.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	626146here's what that rake looked liked back in 2006. it's got the angle iron the other way back then. my worst problem i had was the tines, and how bad i bent them in tree roots, after clearing brush. jd a couple yrs ago wanted like $18 or 17 bucks apiece for these tines. i bought the 6 they had in stock, and then got the rest off of Agri-supply for $3.99 a piece. both say the same thing on them, except the agri-ones was a little bit shorter once mounted. i fixed the jd ones, by grinding a bit off the ends.

i like ur set up on the loader. where did u find that at?thanks
    Thanks BigJim - I got the loader adapter from Titan Attachments. Allows for 3point implements on the FEL (plus a trailer hitch receiver). Comes in handy.... but I do have to find a cheap quick hitch adapter for it so I can grab and go quickly
    https://www.palletforks.com/tractor-...t-adapter.html
    Gizmo2, rtgt, Levi and 2 others like this.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblj52 For This Useful Post:

BigJim55(06-06-2018), Gizmo2(06-06-2018)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks BigJim - I got the loader adapter from Titan Attachments. Allows for 3point implements on the FEL (plus a trailer hitch receiver). Comes in handy.... but I do have to find a cheap quick hitch adapter for it so I can grab and go quickly
    https://www.palletforks.com/tractor-...t-adapter.html
    The cheapest one unless you score a used one somewhere would be the Harbor Freight one. You can probably get one for about $100. It isn't perfect but it makes the job easier.

Edit: Just saw you are in Canada. Not sure if you have Harbor Freights up there.
    Last edited by sennister; 06-05-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast