Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: 1025r: Unfilled tires vs ballast

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 01:06 PM
    Thanks

1025r: Unfilled tires vs ballast

Have been contemplating our need for wheel weights on 1025r. Tires are not loaded, just have some JD version of Slime because of all the mesquite thorns that are around. Think I had a revelation that I don't need the wheel weights, unless my thinking is warped (more than usual). Max Lift at full height is 512 lb for the H120 loader. Using the Ballast Calculator, can lift 648 lb with the 260 BH OR iMatch+477 lbs ballast - neither using wheel weights. Am I missing something? Do have a couple of old 30? lb wheel weights from our long ago scrapped Sears Suburban (think they'll fit) that I'm thinking about adding. IMHO, black wheel weights are much more aesthetically pleasing than the yellow.
    Had posted this in GM, but after thinking about the JD ballast recommendations, I'm really confused about the JD specs vs the Ballast Calculator. Cotton-picking cast iron wheel weights are SO expensive & will be tough for us to install...
    Last edited by dianedebuda; 06-05-2018 at 07:59 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:18 PM
    Thanks
    Not missing anything that I know of. Lots of people use the back hoe, suitcase weights hanging off a Heavy Hitch on the 3pt or a ballast box. I would say more people probably do that than have the cast iron wheel weights. The one advantage to wheel weights or fluid filled tires is that the axle doesn't carry the weight. However the weight is more effective if hanging off the back of the machine because of leverage.
    Levi and PJR832 like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    I've yet to find to much ballast. I am a fan of fluid, wheel weights, and rear ballast.

Fluid is usually cheapest, so I start there
    Levi, Uncomike and PJR832 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Max Lift at full height is 512 lb for the H120 loader. Using the Ballast Calculator, can lift 648 lb with the 260 [/COLOR]BH OR iMatch+477 lbs ballast - neither using wheel weights. Am I missing something?
    What ballast calculator are you using? There is no ballast calculator for determining 3PH ballast for a loader. The JD ballast spreadsheet that's floating around is mostly for ballasting the front of the tractor to offset heavy rear implements.

Have you consulted the H120 Operator's Manual? It lists what is recommended by JD as the "minimum" recommended rear ballast.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    What ballast calculator are you using? There is no ballast calculator for determining 3PH ballast for a loader. The JD ballast spreadsheet that's floating around is mostly for ballasting the front of the tractor to offset heavy rear implements.

Have you consulted the H120 Operator's Manual? It lists what is recommended by JD as the "minimum" recommended rear ballast.
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...tml#post413897
    Guess I don't see difference of ballast calculations for front/heavy rear & back/heavy front (FEL). Yes, I've seen the JD mins in the OpMan - that's partly why I'm confused. For me, it would be so much easier to understand with lb/position goals instead of only 3 combos of which 2 are with filled tires.

Last edited by dianedebuda; 06-05-2018 at 08:09 AM.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    I've yet to find to much ballast. I am a fan of fluid, wheel weights, and rear ballast.

Fluid is usually cheapest, so I start there
    You apparently have never battled Mesquite thorns. Fluid not really an option. I did discuss this with several dealers before purchase; tires were "slimed" by dealer at purchase.
    PJR832 likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dianedebuda View Post
    Guess I don't see difference of ballast calulations for front/heavy rear & back/heavy front (FEL). Yes, I've seen the JD mins in the OpMan - that's partly why I'm confused. For me, it would be so much easier to understand with lb/position goals instead of only 3 combos of which 2 are with weighted wheels.
    Technically a ballasted tractor is a ballasted tractor but that spreadsheet has nothing to do with the payload of a loader. It also does not have a section for a 1-series. The main purpose of that sheet is to calculate front weight required so you don't do a wheelie when you raise up a heavy 3PH implement. If you notice on the spreadsheet the only load it has you select is a rear implement. Having a FEL can add weight to the front which is why the sheet has a selection for whether or not you have a loader. You'll also notice the sheet doesn't have any selection for pallet forks vs. a bucket. Pallet forks require even more 3PH ballast than does just using the bucket.

The loader manual is just trying to make things easy for the operator. Attach X-amount of weight where they tell you and no worries. Since it has a front axle that pivots, the only thing that makes a tractor stable is keeping the rear tires firmly planted on the ground.

The weighted tires is going to give you stability on a side slope and also smooth the ride a bit.

I understand you not wanting to use fluid filled tires. IMHO... the loaded tires are probably the least important ballast. If you attach a 3PH ballast of the minimum required weight you will likely have no issues with your loader.
    rydplrs, Levi, ctrider and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 09:45 AM
    Thanks
    Agreed, the loaded tires are more for traction purposes, aren't they? I never considered them as ballast. Think of ballast as a counterweight for what you are doing on the frontend of the tractor.
    rydplrs, Oscar Leroy and PJR832 like this.
    2012 JD 2320
    1985 JD 318
    1952 JD MC
    1974 IH 784 4WD

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrider View Post
    Agreed, the loaded tires are more for traction purposes, aren't they? I never considered them as ballast. Think of ballast as a counterweight for what you are doing on the frontend of the tractor.
    It can be to a certain degree, in the loader manual it will list two different ballast weights required. 1. with loaded tires/wheel weights 2. without loaded tires/wheel weights
    The amount of 3 point ballast required is greater without loaded tires/wheel weights.
    Levi likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Technically a ballasted tractor is a ballasted tractor but that spreadsheet has nothing to do with the payload of a loader. It also does not have a section for a 1-series. The main purpose of that sheet is to calculate front weight required so you don't do a wheelie when you raise up a heavy 3PH implement. If you notice on the spreadsheet the only load it has you select is a rear implement. Having a FEL can add weight to the front which is why the sheet has a selection for whether or not you have a loader. You'll also notice the sheet doesn't have any selection for pallet forks vs. a bucket. Pallet forks require even more 3PH ballast than does just using the bucket.
    This calculator sure appears to have 1025r options. I've selected my FEL (H120+53 bucket) + entered the payload...

Only goal right now is to feel more comfortable that using just the existing wheel weights is ok so I can spend $$$$ on implements instead of cast iron weights.

Thanks for stopping by.
    Levi and PJR832 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast