• 1 Post By Levi
  • 1 Post By balrog006

Thread: loader mounts

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-05-2015 @ 06:59 PM
    Thanks

loader mounts

I am going to install a loader for a friend and the instructions say to remove paint between frame and mounts, I have done other tractors and not done this and never had one loosen up. What do You guys think? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JD790 View Post
    I am going to install a loader for a friend and the instructions say to remove paint between frame and mounts, I have done other tractors and not done this and never had one loosen up. What do You guys think? Thanks
    This sounds like what's called a "slip critical connection" using steel painting industry jargon. IMHO the Mfr. and the install instructions should be followed. These types of load bearing/stressed flat on flat connections will bind up on the paint and then slip and move as the paint does strange things under and over its slip threshold. If you don't get things lined up 100% perfect (and you won't) the mounts will move under load, I suspect the instructions dictate a recheck of bolt torque at some interval after install for just this reason. Paint inside that connection will change this and may compromise its integrity.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-05-2015 @ 06:59 PM
    Thanks

loader mounts

Thanks for the reply, I understand the possablity of slipping due to the paint ,but rust in between the two parts is not good. The tractor side is a machined surface, but the brackets a just plate and I am sure they are not totally flat. By looking at tractors on dealers lot I am pretty sure they are not removing the paint. That does not mean they are doing it right though!
    Last edited by JD790; 01-07-2015 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spelling

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Sounds like extra work. If I, meaning ME, was doing it I'd put it on with the paint still intact. If possible, put the load on the lowest point and tighten it up as much as possible and check for fit. Then adjust where needed and make sure it's tight. But that's just ME. Like you said, I don't think mine had the paint taken off or was painted after the install. Seeing as it's not moving, I'm not going to take it off and see either.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-02-2018 @ 09:53 AM
    Thanks
    Slip critical implies no paint and for a reason. The surfaces will rust a little causing the friction. Once the rust advances to a point it should not rust any further. The conection will be much more solid and stabil than a painted surface.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JD790 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I understand the possablity of slipping due to the paint ,but rust in between the two parts is not good. The tractor side is a machined surface, but the brackets a just plate and I am sure they are not totally flat. By looking at tractors on dealers lot I am pretty sure they are not removing the paint. That does not mean they are doing it right though!
    For my application, a urethane caulk is applied around the perimeter of any slip critical surface like this where 2 plates are bolted together and then painted over. You could strip the paint, assemble, caulk and then touch up paint. It would probably look pretty darn good actually, and seal out any harmful amounts of rust.
    sterling40man likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by justgrn View Post
    Slip critical implies no paint and for a reason. The surfaces will rust a little causing the friction. Once the rust advances to a point it should not rust any further. The conection will be much more solid and stabil than a painted surface.

Correct, though in structural applications there are speciality primers for these surfaces that can be used to inhibit most of the rust. Caulking the edges and completing the 3 part paint system is also typical.
    2004-L130

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements