Anyone built a set of forks for the front of a SCUT?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jim Timber
  • 1 Post By 06switchback

Thread: Anyone built a set of forks for the front of a SCUT?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-29-2015 @ 04:21 PM
    Thanks

Anyone built a set of forks for the front of a SCUT?

I'm thinking of having our fab guys here at work build me a set of forks for the front of my SCUT. I only need around 1000lbs of lift capacity, so they dont need to be incredibly strong, just enough to move some hay around.

I was thinking C-Channel around 30-36" long, angled at the end with some sort of backplate to weld on my brackets to attach to my loader pins.

Anyone ever done this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quite a few threads out there on members building their own forks, have you tried a search?
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 01:17 PM
    Thanks
    i have a jd 2210 bought from ebay titan forks for $429

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-31-2019 @ 02:17 AM
    Thanks
    I saw someone over on TBN who made an insert that fit the bucket to capture their forks. Looked like a pretty slick option instead of clamp-on's for your bucket.

1Klbs is a pretty decent load, but not un-doable. Just keep in mind the leverage increase as your load is further away from your anchor point. 1Klbs at 12" is 2Klbs 24" forward, and so on. So your bale could possibly exert 4Klbs force on your L connection if you have 4' forks (or if you're using a sling to lift something - more the point I'm getting at).

Overhead lifting equipment is also generally given a 5:1 safety factor too. So your design load at the fork tips for 1Klbs is now 5Klbs and your L connection would need to handle 25Klbs of stress to be deemed safe to support something over a person.

Just stuff to keep in mind when designing things which can squish people.

Do yourself a favor and get Beamboy 2.0. It's a free downloaded leverage calculator which allows you to examine how stress impacts levers and beams. Very handy!
    Yamaguy likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Thanks
    I'm gathering parts for a fork build of my own I called a local forklift repair and bought a used set of 42 in and a carriage for $200 so half of my work is done just gotta clear out a couple other projects and get started
    Jim Timber likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,137 Times in 2,580 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 06switchback View Post
    I'm gathering parts for a fork build of my own I called a local forklift repair and bought a used set of 42 in and a carriage for $200 so half of my work is done just gotta clear out a couple other projects and get started
    How heavy is that carriage and forks? Usually anything, especially the carriage from a real forklift is crazy heavy for a smaller tractor. What tractor do you have? (hint, please fill in signature)
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Thanks
    It's a 2720 the carriage is really heavy I am either going to trim a lot off of it or possibly not use it because it's not quite wide enough anyway the main frame of it is 1.5 to 2 in solid all the way around

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 06switchback View Post
    It's a 2720 the carriage is really heavy I am either going to trim a lot off of it or possibly not use it because it's not quite wide enough anyway the main frame of it is 1.5 to 2 in solid all the way around

Member DieselShadow built a set of forks for his 2720 a while back using some components off of an actual forklift. That thread is here.

Sometime later he replaced them with a set of Artillian forks, which are a much better fit for that size tractor. That thread is here.

Just to reinforce what y'all have stated, real forklift parts are very, very heavy when compared to the lifting capacity of smaller tractors. They eat up too much 'payload' weight to be as useful as they could be. Likewise, moving the load further from the pivot points on the loader by using clamp on bucket forks or bucket- attached forks decrease the capacity exponentially, not to mention being difficult to see where the forks are. It's certainly possible to build a set and have them work well, but weight is a critical factor that off the shelf forklift parts just don't meet the requirements for.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-31-2019 @ 02:17 AM
    Thanks
    I guess it's a matter of perspective. 300# is lighter than my 73" bucket empty. I don't know if I could even tell the difference in a 100# lighter load. I spent a couple years running forklifts and unless you were at the bleeding limit of the overload relief, it was usually only a moderate difference in speed of functions from empty skids to 3-4Klbs. Then again, I couldn't tell you the flow rates on a single fork I've ever driven.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements