• 2 Post By Treefarmer
  • 3 Post By Zebrafive

Thread: Detaching a rear brush mower

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Thanks

Detaching a rear brush mower

I needed to drop my Bushhog yesterday and pick up a rear blade. The Bushhog can be a bit of a PITA although dropping it on planks so I can slide it to clear the lift arms helps. Yesterday, to my initial surprise the first arm came off easily. WTF? Then I realized the lift pin was slightly loose allowing it to pivot just a bit.

I prefer a clevis mount on implements but realized that manufacturers could make life much easier if they had pivoting pins that could be locked in place after attaching the tractor. Of course, then the sales of quick hitches might go down. . .

Treefarmer
    BigJim55, johncanfield and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:40 PM
    Thanks
    I have telescoping lower arms only 3pt hitch. I found if I release the lock for telescoping it allows the arm to lengthen as it comes off the pin. Easier off than on for me.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:42 PM
    Thanks
    I've been running that 6330 which has a quick hitch, and to be honest, its kind of a pain in butt. you must be lined up perfectly so that both of the lower hooks engage the pins, and the toplink has to be out far enough so that it hooks the pin. but aside form this, it still takes less time to hook up...
    BigJim55 likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

Telescoping arms

Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    I have telescoping lower arms only 3pt hitch. I found if I release the lock for telescoping it allows the arm to lengthen as it comes off the pin. Easier off than on for me.
    LOL, I think the last tractor prior to the 790 that I ran without telescoping arms may have been a AC WD-45. The 790 required some rethinking as it doesn't have telescoping arms and it's a tight space compared to larger tractors. They are a definite plus.

Treefarmer
    BigJim55 and johnH123 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 07:38 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    I've been running that 6330 which has a quick hitch, and to be honest, its kind of a pain in butt. you must be lined up perfectly so that both of the lower hooks engage the pins, and the toplink has to be out far enough so that it hooks the pin. but aside form this, it still takes less time to hook up...

Yep I agree on the quick hitch. Its a PITA and sometimes I think it would be easier to hook up without it. I've been close to removing it and selling it a bunch of times.
    BigJim55 and johnH123 like this.
    2018 Deere 6105E Tractor fully optioned
    2016 Deere 5085E Tractor
    2015 Deere 5065E Tractor
    H 260 Loader
    H310 Loader
    HX-15 Batwing Cutter
    MX-8 Cutter
    Cat 2 I match Quick Hitch
    Grapples
    Box Scraper
    Deere X485 Lawn Tractor
    Vintage Deere 160 Lawn Tractor

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    on my small tractor-there would be no way even as large as i am to hook up the pto shaft-being bent over the quick hitch to do that. over the yrs i have learned to hook up to the stuff-then lower the quick-hitch to the ground. then that lets me more room to hook the pto shaft up.

even my little tractor i have to back into a implement square for the bottom pins and if only i had a hydraulically top link-oh-boy i'dl be cooking then. well arm rests on the seat-and a air ride seat too-now that i got a roof. put a radio on the list too.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

Telescoping arms update

Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    LOL, I think the last tractor prior to the 790 that I ran without telescoping arms may have been a AC WD-45. The 790 required some rethinking as it doesn't have telescoping arms and it's a tight space compared to larger tractors. They are a definite plus.

Treefarmer
    Just a quick update- I talked with a Deere salesman two days ago who said Deere now had retrofit kit telescoping arms for some CUTs. He didn't know which models or yet but said they were out.

If they fit a 790 and the price isn't too bad, I'll be ordering. My guess is that either they won't be available or I would need a go fund me account but it's worth an inquiry.

Treefarmer
    Zebrafive and BigJim55 like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:40 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    Ship it to me and I'll put it in training on the 6415

Quote Originally Posted by meyerld View Post
    Yep I agree on the quick hitch. Its a PITA and sometimes I think it would be easier to hook up without it. I've been close to removing it and selling it a bunch of times.
    Ditto above response

Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    on my small tractor-there would be no way even as large as i am to hook up the pto shaft-being bent over the quick hitch to do that. over the yrs i have learned to hook up to the stuff-then lower the quick-hitch to the ground. then that lets me more room to hook the pto shaft up.

even my little tractor i have to back into a implement square for the bottom pins and if only i had a hydraulically top link-oh-boy i'dl be cooking then. well arm rests on the seat-and a air ride seat too-now that i got a roof. put a radio on the list too.
    You'll never be able to fund a Gator with all your other tractor wants
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    You'll never be able to fund a Gator with all your other tractor wants
    Zebra Five -u been talking to my wife -huh

i get the fifth sermon pretty much all the time-tells me i have way too.................much time on my hands. but oh my how nice it is to dream of them goodies
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Ship it to me and I'll put it in training on the 6415

Its not really mine, so...
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,