Tiller: King Kutter II TG-48 vs. King Kutter TG-48-XB (the orange one) for 1-series
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Tiller: King Kutter II TG-48 vs. King Kutter TG-48-XB (the orange one) for 1-series

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Thanks

Tiller: King Kutter II TG-48 vs. King Kutter TG-48-XB (the orange one) for 1-series

There are several informative threads about King Kutter tillers, including some discussion of the XB series for sub-compact tractors.

I have been leaning toward the XB for the following two reasons:

1) The lower lift pins on the XB should allow the 1-series to lift it higher off the ground (so that it won't drag when I need it raised).
    2) The XB is centered behind the tractor rather than offset. The King Kutter II 4' model is offset.

I now have the opportunity to buy a very slightly used King Kutter II. I'm wondering if I should go for it, or hold off for a new XB on sale (hopefully later in the spring).

I'd like to hear from current King Kutter II / 1-series owners. Does the offset tiller prevent it from covering the tire tracks? How high can the 1-series lift the King Kutter II off the ground?

I haven't seen much discussion on these two specific questions, so I thought I would ask everyone's opinions.
    Nagodesi likes this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 989 Posts
    I have several King Kutter/County Line attachments for my 1026R and none of them are the XB line. I really like all the attachments. They are a reasonably priced line for non commercial use, in my opinion. Sure, it would be great if the tiller and rear blade could lift higher. But it has never been a problem for me. I like the offset in the tiller as it does cover the tire tracks on that offset side. And honestly I don't get much of a tire track on the non offset side even with the R4 tires. I really would like to add a mid range garden tractor to my herd. And at the same time add a 72" rear finish mower for the 1026R and I would definitely give the KK/CL a real hard look because of my overall satisfaction with their other stuff I own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tractor Tim and Nagodesi like this.
    Jamie

2019 JD XUV 825M Gator - Olive and Black, w/72" Boss Poly Straight Blade Plow (Fully Hydraulic), Roof, Power Dump Bed, Spray in Bed Liner, and Bucket Seats
    2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ColonyPark For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim(01-11-2015)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:04 PM
    Thanks
    I have the 48" BX tiller, seems to be a good match for my 1026. I wouldn't want a 4' off set tiller on a tractor that is only 4' wide. Isn't the whole point of the 1026 is to fit in small spaces?
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ejb69 For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim(01-11-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 01:05 AM
    Thanks
    The xb is NOT I match compatible... The pins are too narrow. I don't have an I match but I still bought the long cat1 pins to put on it so I wouldn't have to adjust the 3 point arms too much.
    Last edited by kabic; 01-11-2015 at 08:29 PM.
    JD 1023E
    KK XB Tiller, XB subsoiler

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kabic For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim(01-11-2015)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ejb69 View Post
    I have the 48" BX tiller, seems to be a good match for my 1026. I wouldn't want a 4' off set tiller on a tractor that is only 4' wide. Isn't the whole point of the 1026 is to fit in small spaces?
    How tight is the average garden bed where someone is most likely to use one of these? It's only offset by about 8" and in some cases, it would allow you to get in tighter to some places that you wouldn't be able to till at all with a tiller with no offset. You can run an offset tiller right up against a retaining wall or garden bed border. To do that without the offset you'd have to rub your tires against that same wall.
    ColonyPark and Tractor Tim like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kabic View Post
    The xb is NOT I match compatible... The pins are too narrow. I don't have an I match but I still bought the long cat1 pins to put on it so I wouldn't have to adjust the 3 point arms too much.
    Kabic,

Are you saying that with longer lift pins, the xb can be made to be iMatch compatible?
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks
    While I cannot speak for the KK offset tiller, I own an orange 42" offset tiller that works great. I really like that it totally covers left side track. The only drawback is that when you come out to the edge of the garden plot, you have to drive around back to the opposite side (or reverse) to start tilling again in the same direction. IMHO, I'd rather have the offset or slightly wider than a tiller that is exactly the same width of the tractor.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 5304 For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim(01-11-2015)

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    I have several King Kutter/County Line attachments for my 1026R and none of them are the XB line. I really like all the attachments. They are a reasonably priced line for non commercial use, in my opinion. Sure, it would be great if the tiller and rear blade could lift higher. But it has never been a problem for me. I like the offset in the tiller as it does cover the tire tracks on that offset side. And honestly I don't get much of a tire track on the non offset side even with the R4 tires. I really would like to add a mid range garden tractor to my herd. And at the same time add a 72" rear finish mower for the 1026R and I would definitely give the KK/CL a real hard look because of my overall satisfaction with their other stuff I own
    Thanks for the comment. I've pretty much decided on KK. Seems to be a good value. Just trying to decide II vs. xb.

Roughly how far off the ground can you lift it? Is it just a couple of inches?

Do you think that you could remove the offset by tightening one of the 3pt lift arm's stabilizers to pull the 3 point off-center? Make sense?
    ..or at least remove enough of the offset to cover the other tire track?

I think if buying new, I would choose the xb. However, I'm still tempted by this nearly new KK II listed at $950.
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

15. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-26-2019 @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks
    I can see with the offset one the last pass you will have the tires running outside the garden which in some cases is higher than the garden causing uneven tilling depth on the last pass.. Unless, you till that pass first with offset to edge then start other side working back...

Also the yellow tillers are heavier weight wise which is a huge advantage keeping the tiller in the ground..

As far as clearance, only place I have issues is when loading on trailer. I place PTO selector to mid which leaves the rear PTO in free wheel.. Tiller tines just roll on the ground instead of digging in..

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NEWT For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim(01-11-2015)

17. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-26-2019 @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timmarks View Post

Do you think that you could remove the offset by tightening one of the 3pt lift arm's stabilizers to pull the 3 point off-center? Make sense?
    ..or at least remove enough of the offset to cover the other tire track?
    I think you will leave a streak thru the garden that dont get filled even with dirt.. Your throwin the dirt to the side.. It may also want to scoot the rear of your tractor sideways a bit too.. Not sure on that but I sure would think it would.
    Tractor Tim likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast