Would you want one of these for your tractor?
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By keane
  • 2 Post By ddinham
  • 4 Post By blue87fj60
  • 1 Post By jgayman
  • 1 Post By Uncle Wayne
  • 2 Post By JimR
  • 1 Post By gittyup

Thread: Would you want one of these for your tractor?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Thanks

Would you want one of these for your tractor?

I find myself needing to transport heavy stuff to other parts of my property over rough terrain. A lot of the heavy stuff already has wheels on it, but they are not suitable for transport over rough ground. Think portable compressor, power washer, welder, generator, large rolling tool boxes, portable table saw, and the like.

Imagine something that looks like a hand truck but instead of wheels it has a mating extension for a trailer hitch. And it has a very large base plate and convenient, padded back support for strapping things to it. The trailer hitch it will use has the ability to lift, such as the one on a Heavy Hitch on the 3-point hitch of a tractor. With a base plate like a hand truck, heavy stuff can be easily rolled onto it. In my view, this makes it much more useful for my purposes than fork lift tines or a carry-all. I don't want to have to lift stuff up initially in order to carry it. And then there's the getting it back down part as well.

I put my thoughts on the attached drawing, dimensioned to meet most of my needs. I'm not an artist at all. I'd have liked to post an angled perspective view of this thing, but I'm not that talented. With a little imagination, I think you'll get the idea. Would these dimensions work for you? If you have a front loader, you may have no use for this at all. But I think a product like this would provide some of the solutions of a front loader at a small fraction of the price.

Would you want one of these for your tractor? How would you modify the design to meet all of your needs?

I also have a version of this product in my mind with a hydraulic or linear actuator lift mechanism. This would get the lift height to be sufficient to get heavy stuff in and out of a pickup bed. Does that interest you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lift-all.jpg  
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Thanks
    I think that most of us would not need such an attachment as we could just use forks on our FEL. I am still working on getting forks for mine, but it will happen and soon. It might work for those not having an FEL, but that seems to be a minority amongst those of us on this forum.

Dave
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ddinham For This Useful Post:

keane (01-18-2015)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 03:18 PM
    Thanks
    Not sure why you need to move all that electrically powered equipment around your property as opposed to bringing the things to be worked on to the equipment, but I think you should start saving up for a loader and a large cart or trailer.

To power the power washer, compressor, saw, or welder you'll need the generator too, so you need to be able to carry several pieces of equipment at a time, not just one.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to POWERSTROKE For This Useful Post:

keane (01-18-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:34 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    I find myself needing to transport heavy stuff to other parts of my property over rough terrain. A lot of the heavy stuff already has wheels on it, but they are not suitable for transport over rough ground. Think portable compressor, power washer, welder, generator, large rolling tool boxes, portable table saw, and the like.

Imagine something that looks like a hand truck but instead of wheels it has a mating extension for a trailer hitch. And it has a very large base plate and convenient, padded back support for strapping things to it. The trailer hitch it will use has the ability to lift, such as the one on a Heavy Hitch on the 3-point hitch of a tractor. With a base plate like a hand truck, heavy stuff can be easily rolled onto it. In my view, this makes it much more useful for my purposes than fork lift tines or a carry-all. I don't want to have to lift stuff up initially in order to carry it. And then there's the getting it back down part as well.

I put my thoughts on the attached drawing, dimensioned to meet most of my needs. I'm not an artist at all. I'd have liked to post an angled perspective view of this thing, but I'm not that talented. With a little imagination, I think you'll get the idea. Would these dimensions work for you? If you have a front loader, you may have no use for this at all. But I think a product like this would provide some of the solutions of a front loader at a small fraction of the price.

Would you want one of these for your tractor? How would you modify the design to meet all of your needs?

I also have a version of this product in my mind with a hydraulic or linear actuator lift mechanism. This would get the lift height to be sufficient to get heavy stuff in and out of a pickup bed. Does that interest you?
    I think as with most all products, wether tractor attachments or other, you maybe should build one for yourself.
    Build it, test it for all it's worth, and document the testing with pics and video.
    Then if all goes well and you get it refined, try and market it if that's what you aim to do..
    If anything you'll wind up with an attachment that works for you in your situation that you came up with.
    636mullet, rtgt, Levi and 1 others like this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to blue87fj60 For This Useful Post:

keane (01-18-2015)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    In my view, this makes it much more useful for my purposes than fork lift tines or a carry-all. I don't want to have to lift stuff up initially in order to carry it. And then there's the getting it back down part as well.
    I would think an attachment like this would also require a hydraulic top-link to control the load.

I agree with the previous poster in that forks on the loader are probably more versitile and can typically lift higher. If you ever have anything delivered via freight service the ability to off-load from a semi-trailer truck is very useful.

The problem of lifting items to carry them can be solved by simply using a pallet with a small loading ramp attached. They have been making loading platforms like this for years for use with industrial lift trucks.
    Levi likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 10:47 AM
    Thanks
    I think you have a good idea but for myself, I use forks in place of my FEL that would serve the same purpose. But that's a good design and you have done a really good job of detailing your idea.
    Levi likes this.
    Wayne
    2013 JD 4520 CUT with 400X FEL
    1942 LA John Deere
    1910 John Deere Freight Wagon (restored)
    1946 John Deere Series 300 two disk plow

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wayne For This Useful Post:

keane (01-18-2015)

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:56 AM
    Thanks
    I really don't see much advantage of your unit over a typical Carry-All. In my case, I'd have to attach something to my iMatch hitch first to use the receiver hitch on your unit which just adds another step as well.

Lifting things 3" to get them onto a Carry-All isn't that big of a deal but even if it was, it would be easier to just add a small ramp to the Carry-All.
    Levi and Jim Timber like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

keane (01-18-2015)

15. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-31-2019 @ 02:17 AM
    Thanks
    I don't think I'd want a 2" draw bar holding a load at truck bed height. Most of them max out around 750# tongue weight and with a 2' lever (if your box is 4' wide) that drops to 325# before you add the cheater bar equivalent with your additional vertical extension. Balancing the load side to side would help some, but it's not always possible, plus you have a lot of mechanical stuff going on so the box itself is going to eat up some carrying capacity.

I agree with the suggestion to either make a pit or a ramp - just about every commercial building made has one form or the other for loading/unloading semi's at their docks.

Heck, I want a pair of big ramps so I can change oil on the vehicles without having to drive up the stupid little ones I've got.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	348862.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	38323

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Timber For This Useful Post:

keane (01-18-2015)

17. Top | #9

Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 07:01 PM
    Thanks
    I think it might be useful in certain situations. Changes I would make are:

in addition to the receiver connection, I'd add a full cat 1 3PH. That way you could use it either way. Maybe make the receiver connection tube removable with a lynch pin.
    I'd make the back so it would be easy to attach boards with bolts, and space them for 2 x 6's, two sets of holes per board.

It also wouldn't be a whole different to put a ramp on a standard carry-all.
    keane likes this.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gittyup For This Useful Post:

keane (01-27-2015)

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements