Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Snow removal implement?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 01:43 PM
    Thanks

Snow removal implement?

I just bought 35 acres in Colorado where it snow around 7' per year. I have about a 1000' driveway that will need plowed.

I also have a 4066r with a FEL. What is my best option for plowing this road? It's a dirt/gravel road and it's got a few hills. Will a blade tear up the road? Is a rear mount PTO blower the best?

I live in Texas so know nothing about snow removal.

Thanks
    6105R with H340 loader with bucket, bale spike and pallet forks
    329E Compact Track loader
    320G skid steer
    1958 Deere 620

If you are interested here is my blog on restoring my '58 John Deere 620 https://antiquetractorblogger.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:45 AM
    Thanks
    Seven feet? That's a lot of snow! I would opt for a front mounted snow blower with that much snow, but am unsure if your 4 series can be equipped like that. The problem with a rear snow blower is you will be looking backwards for a long time.

You have three basic choices with snow removal, your FEL bucket, a plow or a blower. An FEL works but it's not the best option for snow removal if you ask me. If it's all you have then it's what you use.

Your cheapest option is probably going to be a rear blade, if you don't want to use the bucket. You just need to lower it so it doesn't tear the driveway up too bad, but since you are going to have a gravel drive, you might as well invest in a land plane too. The problem with a front or rear blade is that if you have a lot of snow over the season it becomes hard to shove all of the snow off to the side. You will have to use the bucket to reposition the snow periodically.

A front mounted plow will come with skid shoes that will allow you to keep 1 or 2 inches off the ground so you can remove the snow and leave the gravel. I believe front mounted blowers are the same way but I have never used one.

Anyways good luck on your move and hope you figure out how to deal with winter.
    BigJim55 and johndeerefarmer like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Thanks
    If it's cold enough to snow, it's cold enough for that road to freeze solid. You might dig up some loose gravel but for the most part, a plow will just glide across the frozen surface.

I have a 650' driveway and a rear blower. It works but it takes a while to get my neck straightened out again after using it.

There are pros/cons to every possible option. A front blower is easier to use but usually costs more. Snow blades (both plows and pushers) are cheaper than blower setups but usually leave a bank on the sides of the driveway and you can run into drifting issues. Blowers throw the snow far enough away that you don't get those snowbanks.
    johndeerefarmer likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Getting 7' of snow in the winter doesn't mean it shows up all at once!

For your nearly 1/4 mile of drive, I would skip the snow blower unless you're retired and have plenty of time on your hands. A snow pusher or bucket only will also get old real fast because they don't displace snow, they collect it.

A snow blade mounted in place of the FEL bucket is best IMO. Especially one that easy to detach because there will be times you will want to use the bucket to move snow banks.

Al

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Thanks
    For a long driveway I’d go with a plow on a truck, possibly a snow blower on the tractor for the bigger snowfalls.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with Al. 7’ sounds like a lot and is if was one storm, but we had more than that in Maine last winter. Heck there were 2 storms within 3 days that brought close to 4 feet.

I would see what is available for a plow on the FEL. Are V-plows available ? And as Al said if you need to push back the banks, use the bucket.

A blower on either end will pick up rocks and you’ll get sick of replacing shear pins.
    2012 JD 2320
    1985 JD 318
    1952 JD MC
    1974 IH 784 4WD

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    Or a truck with a cab and a plow. Yeah, I agree with that too. lol
    Yamaguy, 69project and kylew like this.
    2012 JD 2320
    1985 JD 318
    1952 JD MC
    1974 IH 784 4WD

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Thanks
    Assuming you have the JDQA system on your FEL, you might want to look at this:
    https://www.deere.com/en/attachments.../af11e-series/

I'd try and find a used one in TX - probably cheaper than getting one in CO.
    wentonbrown likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Thanks
    JohnDeeeFarmer,

You might want to consider a Pronovost Inverted Pull Type snowblower, or a Frontier FEL mounted snowblower. Either one would allow you to move snow while driving forward.

Here in Aroostook County, we get 120" of snow, and I have a 60" front mount blower on my 955. I have a 750 foot driveway, and I wouldn't want to use a rear mount blower on that driveway. There is a local property maintenance company that uses a Frontier to do parking lots and driveways. The Pronovosts appear to be popular in Quebec where farmers use them on their farm tractors. There is another Quebec sourced blower that has a reversible pan that allows the unit to be used as a conventional back up blower or as a drive forward blower like the Pronovost. Another local PMC has one on a Universal tractor, and they seem to do well with it.

Dave
    BigJim55 and johndeerefarmer like this.
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System

1939 Oliver Row Crop 70

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlKozak View Post
    Getting 7' of snow in the winter doesn't mean it shows up all at once!

For your nearly 1/4 mile of drive, I would skip the snow blower unless you're retired and have plenty of time on your hands. A snow pusher or bucket only will also get old real fast because they don't displace snow, they collect it.

A snow blade mounted in place of the FEL bucket is best IMO. Especially one that easy to detach because there will be times you will want to use the bucket to move snow banks.

Al
    I would agree if it is a wooded area where drifting isn't much of an issue. My co-worker has a 1/4 driveway, it is on the edge of a field. Even with a snow fence he was out there plowing every day even though it wasn't snowing. As you plow and build a berm on the side of the driveway the snow will fill in between the banks. This means as the winter went on not only was he plowing it every time the wind blew but he was ending up with more snow on his driveway than in the yard. So he called in his buddies that plowed commercially and had a 1 ton and a 3/4 ton truck stuck in his driveway/yard as they were trying to widen the banks.

He ended up buying a 2520 with front blower and hasn't had any issues since. The combination of a snow fence and getting the snow far enough away from the driveway does the trick.

For my yard, I prefer to plow than blow. The problem for me is we have several buuildings and windows so it limits where I can put the snow. I can turn the chute hydraulically but still with limits on the directions I can blow it, it also means that it never fails, the snow will blow back on me and that makes for a very cold job. So for me, I plow it as much as I can. We have enough trees in our area that drifting is rarely an issue. I would rather go out mid storm and plow then again when things are done than blow. I do have a front blower though because there are storms where I can't get out there or the snow is too wet and heavy and I can't push it. So then the blower goes on.

I would say there isn't a perfect tool for snow removal. It will really depend on what the yard is like. As mentioned though, plowing or blowing is fine on gravel. I live on a gravel road and the city plows it. The driveway will build up ice that the blower will ride on.
    johndeerefarmer likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast