sod cutting with 1025R - - - any suggestions?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: sod cutting with 1025R - - - any suggestions?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Thanks

sod cutting with 1025R - - - any suggestions?

I want to cut sod (lawn) about 16" wide and 3" deep

I have about 1100 feet of trench to cut.

I would like to drag an implement behind my 1025r to cut the sod. After I dig the trench and then fill it back in, I want to replace the sod so everything is nice and clean afterwards.

I have the tools to build one myself, so building is an option.

Thanks in advance for the help

Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    If you don't mind a wider swath our loader buckets make great sod cutters. Also then when a section is cut it is already in the bucket to move it.
    PJR832 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Auguste†(06-18-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks
    People have built them.

I think a lot of it depends on your soil but you may find that in order to get it to work properly, you'll need to find a way to apply down pressure. A hydraulic toplink might solve that.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim†(06-18-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    People have built them.

I think a lot of it depends on your soil but you may find that in order to get it to work properly, you'll need to find a way to apply down pressure. A hydraulic toplink might solve that.
    We didnít have great results with our homemade sod cutter. (The video linked) Perhaps a loader mounted one might work better?
    You could apply down pressure.

Also, I think our blade might have been too thick. I think a nearly horizontal / thin blade would work better.

Tim
    Superglidesport, Levi and PJR832 like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tractor Tim For This Useful Post:

Auguste†(06-18-2018)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    If you don't mind a wider swath our loader buckets make great sod cutters. Also then when a section is cut it is already in the bucket to move it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tractor Tim View Post
    We didnít have great results with our homemade sod cutter. (The video linked) Perhaps a loader mounted one might work better?

Also, I think our blade might have been too thick. I think a nearly horizontal / thin blade would work better.

Tim
    You combined ideas has resulted in a new idea that I love.

I am going to build a prototype and let you know how it works!

THANKS GUYS
    Levi, Tractor Tim and PJR832 like this.

JD Tractor aka Bucky

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-22-2019 @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    Just a thought (crazy idea) from an Engineer/Fabricator, but were I to build something, I think Id incorporate a coulter from a plow that could be adjusted for width, (or maybe not) and have one on each side, the width I wanted to cut. Or a width that would be useful for more than just one project. Id assume that it would be mostly for trenching and would plan accordingly, and you may have already done that.
    After I had that, Id look at building something similar to a scoop tote, with no back on it, and with a thinner, or VERY gradually beveled edge to have an acute angle to make the cutting action easier/better. Id add a bar across the top somewhere to add suitcase weights.

Once done, I envision a sod cutter that would cut a strip of sod as long as you wanted, as it would just keep cutting the strip and laying it back down behind it. You would need to cut it across at your desired length, which could be bucket width, or longer if you want to roll it.

But whatever you come up with, let us know how it works!
    Levi and PJR832 like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Just a thought (crazy idea) from an Engineer/Fabricator, but were I to build something, I think Id incorporate a coulter from a plow that could be adjusted for width, (or maybe not) and have one on each side, the width I wanted to cut. Or a width that would be useful for more than just one project. Id assume that it would be mostly for trenching and would plan accordingly, and you may have already done that.
    After I had that, Id look at building something similar to a scoop tote, with no back on it, and with a thinner, or VERY gradually beveled edge to have an acute angle to make the cutting action easier/better. Id add a bar across the top somewhere to add suitcase weights.

Once done, I envision a sod cutter that would cut a strip of sod as long as you wanted, as it would just keep cutting the strip and laying it back down behind it. You would need to cut it across at your desired length, which could be bucket width, or longer if you want to roll it.

But whatever you come up with, let us know how it works!
    Very similar to what I was thinking. Thanks for the idea about adjustable width.
    Levi and PJR832 like this.

JD Tractor aka Bucky

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tractor Tim View Post

Tim
    I think down pressure of some sort is an absolute necessity. I'd think the 3pt would work better than a loader mount though. Depth control with the loader would be a chore.

Many years ago I watched a guy cut sod from a HUGE sod farm field down in Oklahoma. They had a device on the 3pt of their tractor and the cutting blade that slid under the sod was mounted diagonally and was serrated like a steak knife. I assumed that was to make it easy for it to cut through the roots. I n=know some of the smaller units that landscapers use have a cutting blade that operates like a sickle bar mower but underground to do the same thing.
    Levi, Tractor Tim and PJR832 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:54 PM
    Thanks
    I bet you could build one patterned after a scuffle/stirrup hoe and have good success with it as long as your soil isn't too hard or rocky. Seems like something with a blade that thin and narrow (16") wouldn't be hard to hold under with the 3pt on a 1025R.

Check out this thread:

Sod Cutter

Rob
    Last edited by BigBlue; 06-18-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    Levi and Oscar Leroy like this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:52 PM
    Thanks
    Just another crazy thought.... What about renting a sod cutter from the local tool place? As much as I like to use my tractor for various stuff, sometimes it's cheaper and easier to just rent a specialty tool and be done with it. Especially if you're not going to be using it on a regular basis.

The last time I rented one, I think it was $25 for 4 hours and $35 for the whole day. I cleared out several spots for my 4x8 and 4x12 raised beds in no time flat!

Tim's video was great, but I think it illustrated the "challenges" associated with trying to build something like this yourself. It was also a multi-person effort with Christy at the wheel and Tim providing ballast. They probably would have been ahead in terms of time, money and effort if they'd just used a walk behind sod cutter.

I would concur with Coaltrain that you could use your bucket to "flip" the sod once it's cut. Regardless of whether you use something on your 3PH or a rented sod cutter, you're probably still going to want to cut the sod into sections so you can handle it. You're not going to be able to flip the entire length of the sod, even with the bucket. Keep in mind that sod is HEAVY!!

Now, if you could come up with something that would cut the sod, cut it into 5' sections and then flip it over so you can trench, THAT would be something!!

You might be able to find some YouTube videos on commercial sod farm equipment that does this sort of thing. That could give you some ideas.
    Levi and kylew like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast