Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Brush Grubber

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-24-2019 @ 10:27 AM
    Thanks

Brush Grubber

Has anyone used a "Brush Grubber" for pulling out brush, small trees etc.. They make several types, but I have been thinking about the chain model that wraps around clumps of bushes.Here in Michigan we have a lot of Autumn Olive bushes that are very invasive. They need to be ripped out, or they will simply keep growing back and spreading. Going to use my 1025r with FEL and bucket hooks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:00 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyJ#9022 View Post
    Has anyone used a "Brush Grubber" for pulling out brush, small trees etc.. They make several types, but I have been thinking about the chain model that wraps around clumps of bushes.Here in Michigan we have a lot of Autumn Olive bushes that are very invasive. They need to be ripped out, or they will simply keep growing back and spreading. Going to use my 1025r with FEL and bucket hooks.
    I have a smaller manual one that I have used.
    It eliminates the shrub about 80% of the time.
    Some shrubs will re-sprout from broken off root sections.
    The best way I have found to eliminate shrubs is herbicide.

I cleared about 3 acres of bushy over grow farm field.
    depending upon size of shrub/tree you can either apply herbicide to the bottom 12" or so of the trunk and it'll kill them in a couple of weeks (basal bark application) or you can cut the shrub and immediately apply herbicide to the cambium layer (small thin layer under the inner bark) all around and this will kill the roots (cut stump application). These both can be done even in winter. Best to not do these in early spring when plants are actively growing new tops.

Best herbicide I found is Garlon 4 mixed with diesel. If you apply it correctly you will need very little for lots of plants. Oh and use a dye in the mix so you can see where you have already done it.
    Levi, Treefarmer and lindsey97 like this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klunker For This Useful Post:

lindsey97 (06-21-2018), Zebrafive (06-21-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Yep! I have one of the chain models with the teeth. It works GREAT! I've even wrapped it around some large rocks to pull them out. I have a trailer ball on my draw bar and just drop the hoop over it. If I need more distance between the tractor and the bush I attach a tow chain in between. I did have one particularly stubborn bush and it pulled hard enough to make my ring a little oblong. :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brush_grubber.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	634498
    North585, Zebrafive, Levi and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    jgayman which one of the chain models did you get? They make three "grades". I see you have a 2720 (I used to have one. Great tractor!) Don't think my 1025r will tug quite as much.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-10-2018 @ 09:07 AM
    Thanks
    +2 on the green brush grubber chain.

I've used it on an old Ferguson TO-20 (20hp tractor) and my 3038e to pull out oleanders (about 12" at the base). Worked GREAT!

Some tips:

Wet close to the root ball, and then pull out about a week later
    Don't get the ground wet too far away-- it will mire your tractor
    Connect a chain to the drawbar-- NEVER any high point on the tractor-- it could cause the tractor's front end to "come up"
    Don't "jerk" the chain to the point you break the drawbar mount-- cracking an aluminum trans case is EXPENSIVE

-Matt
    North585, Levi and Treefarmer like this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyJ#9022 View Post
    jgayman which one of the chain models did you get? They make three "grades". I see you have a 2720 (I used to have one. Great tractor!) Don't think my 1025r will tug quite as much.
    That's a very good question. :-) I got it about 5 years ago and don't remember. I have it in my tool box and will measure it later this morning.
    Levi likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    They make the standard duty, heavy duty, and extreme duty. I may go heavier than I need so my buddy cam borrow it. He has a larger tractor.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:47 PM
    Thanks
    I have a BrushGrubber BG-08. It works great, but.... whether it's the BG-08 or the chain type, keep in mind that the most effective way to use it is to consider it a 2 person job. One on the tractor and one to keep hooking and unhooking the device from the brush. Otherwise it's this.... back the tractor up to the general area of the shrub, get off the tractor and walk to the rear, grab the chain and the brush grubber and get down to attach it to the shrub, get back up and walk to the operators station and then remount the tractor, drive forward and pull the shrub out and drag it to wherever you're leaving the junk, get back off the tractor and unhook the brush, stow the chain and brush grubber somewhere on the tractor, get back on the tractor and repeat.....

There's probably "less of you" than there is of me to get on and off the tractor (and maybe your tractor is smaller than mine, so it's closer to the ground), but after about a dozen of the cycles described above, my fat old @$$ is pretty much plumb tuckered out!

If you're considering something like the BrushGrubber BG-03 at all, take a look at the Extractigator instead. I also have one of these and it's super handy and super fast to pull out the smaller stuff. It will still work you though!
    Last edited by mark02tj; 06-20-2018 at 09:13 AM.
    North585 and Levi like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    That's a very good question. :-) I got it about 5 years ago and don't remember. I have it in my tool box and will measure it later this morning.
    Mine appears to be the HD version (model BG-19) as it is 6-feet from ring to ring and the chain links are ~ 1/4" dia, which seems to match the spec of 7/25".
    Levi and PJR832 like this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Great timing guys!
    I was just looking at these things last night trying to decide.

Looks like the chain one is best.
    Levi likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast