Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Greasing a 260 backhoe

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:48 PM
    Thanks

Greasing a 260 backhoe

So ́ used the BH this weekend to dig a drain tile trench. First part of the project was to "dredge" part of the "creek" the tile will dump into. Doing such, the bucket was under a couple feet of water for most of that. All went well and it's done. Thought it would be good to grease all the zerks today since the bucket spent its Saturday under water.

On the entire backhoe there are 13 fittings I greased. But since the BH was still attached so I could exercise the pivots after greasing, I couldn't get a look at the front pivot for the swing cylinder, because it was right up against the PTO shield. After detaching the BH I was surprised to see there isn't a zerk at that location. I looked and felt all around but couldn't find one. Nothing on the top or bottom of the pivot pin. The pin is flat on both ends, with the retainer bolt on the bottom. No zerk on the cylinders cap that also is the pivot. Curious if everyone else's like this? Mine's a 2014 (year).

Did notice there isn't any zerks on the stabilizers, so maybe this pivot can't be greased either Just seems odd that it's the only pivot that doesn't get greased on the main unit.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,213 Posts
    It's tough to tell from that photo exactly where you think there should be a zerk fitting. You mention the swing cylinder. If I looks at the parts diagram for the 260 backhoe it shows a zerk fitting on both the cylinder and rod end of the swing cylinder.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Forgot the edited photo. My bad.

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Here's the parts illustration for the 260 swing cylinder. #7 are the zerk fittings.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 260_swing.jpg  
    North585 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:22 AM
    Thanks
    Mine does not have one either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to vt2305 For This Useful Post:

kylew (06-21-2018)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Here's the parts illustration for the 260 swing cylinder. #7 are the zerk fittings.

Yeah I see that in the parts catalog, thanks. The one on the left of the picture would be the one I'm looking for, but it's not there. Looks like the pic is kinda generic. The same pic is used for the boom and bucket cylinders too, though listing different part numbers for the rod, cylinder, etc. The dipperstick cylinder shows more seals, and only list 1 zerk.

Curious if anyone actually has a zerk on theirs.

2014 1025R TLB

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 01:44 AM
    Thanks
    I just finished greasing my 260 backhoe a few days ago. The manual shows 15 zerks in its diagrams, and I found 15 zerks that I greased. On the swing cylinder, I had a zerk on the end closest to the boom. From what I can see, there isn't one on the other end. But my view is blocked a lot on the end closest to the tractor. Next time I have the backhoe off the tractor, I can look at this area more closely. It seems logical that there should be a zerk there. If there is, the manual is once again wrong.

For the pivot points on the stabilizers, the manual recommends SAE 10 oil. I found some at a farm and ranch store, but it was about the 5th place I looked for it. I had to buy a whole quart so I have a llfetime supply for all of us. Stop by if you'd like me to fill your oiling can.

The manual also says to "lubricate the cylinders". I could interpret this many ways. I'm assuming this means the zerks on the pivot points at the ends of the cylinders. I remember that the exposed pistons should be lubed for storage, but I would be reluctant to do this for normal use. You'd just attract a lot of dirt.
    wentonbrown likes this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

11. The Following User Says Thank You to keane For This Useful Post:

kylew (06-22-2018)

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    I just finished greasing my 260 backhoe a few days ago. The manual shows 15 zerks in its diagrams, and I found 15 zerks that I greased. I'll look again today as I only found 13. I think it was the bucket cylinders rod end had 2, which I found surprising as all the other points had 1.

On the swing cylinder, I had a zerk on the end closest to the boom. Me too. From what I can see, there isn't one on the other end. But my view is blocked a lot on the end closest to the tractor. Same here. When I detached the BH I thought it would be right there in the open. The pin has zero grease or any lubricant. Doesn't seem like there is any wear, but being a major pivot point you would think it should be greasable. Next time I have the backhoe off the tractor, I can look at this area more closely. It seems logical that there should be a zerk there. Agreed. If there is, the manual is once again wrong. Really? That never happens

For the pivot points on the stabilizers, the manual recommends SAE 10 oil. The pins on the stabs are dry but seem nice and loose without being sloppy. Guess I'm reluctant to oil them for dirt attraction. Probably run them as is for now. I found some at a farm and ranch store, but it was about the 5th place I looked for it. I had to buy a whole quart so I have a llfetime supply for all of us. Stop by if you'd like me to fill your oiling can. Appreciate that.
    I'll bring the oil squirter next time I go through Colorado (might be a while)

The manual also says to "lubricate the cylinders". I could interpret this many ways. Ditto. Baby powder? I'm assuming this means the zerks on the pivot points at the ends of the cylinders. I remember that the exposed pistons should be lubed for storage, but I would be reluctant to do this for normal use. You'd just attract a lot of dirt. Agreed.
    Replies in Red. Thanks
    keane likes this.

2014 1025R TLB

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    For the pivot points on the stabilizers, the manual recommends SAE 10 oil. I found some at a farm and ranch store, but it was about the 5th place I looked for it. I had to buy a whole quart so I have a llfetime supply for all of us. Stop by if you'd like me to fill your oiling can.
    I'm not a backhoe guy. Is there some technical reason that they wouldn't have grease zerks on the stabilizers? I mean, everything else has a zerk why not these? I don't think I'd get too hung up on the 10 wt. oil thing. I mean I'm sure 15, 20 wt. would hang in there just fine. In fact something like Fluid Film would probably give longer lasting lubrication.
    kylew likes this.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Update: Did find 15 zerks. 1 I know I missed, not sure on the other. Looked over the swing cylinders front pivot again. Definitely no grease zerk. I guess per the manual this falls into the catagory of using 10W oil.

2014 1025R TLB

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast