• 3 Post By Big

Thread: Sickle bar help

1. Top | #1
    Big
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:05 PM
    Thanks

Sickle bar help

I have the Enorossi 6' sickle bar with the mechanical lift and want to replace the mechanical cable lift system with a hydraulic cylinder. Cable system is cumbersome and time consuming setting up. I often have to change the amount of cable length to adjust the angle of the bar when mowing my pond edge. My thoughts are a hydraulic cylinder connected to the rear hydraulic ports would solve this.

They have the hydraulic kit as a separate add on but it has me scratching my head on how it works. There is only one hydraulic line I can see attached to the cylinder. Can someone please school me on how that could work? Check out this website. The sickle bar is shown with the hydraulic cylinder. Beaver Valley Supply Company - Enorossi Sickle Bar Mowers

Thanks!
    BigJim55 likes this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Thanks
    Looks like a single acting cylinder to raise it, and the bar's weight is enough to lower it.

Closing off the single hydraulic line should "lock" it in place.
    Last edited by Tomfive; 06-24-2018 at 11:00 PM.
    Kennyd and Big like this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomfive For This Useful Post:

Big†(06-25-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok. I see what you mean. Makes sense as it doesn't need force to lower to the desired angle. Duh huh moment on my part.
    Tomfive likes this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Honda Pioneer 700

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

Needs a vent

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Ok. I see what you mean. Makes sense as it doesn't need force to lower to the desired angle. Duh huh moment on my part.
    Make sure you get the vent for the "empty" side of the cylinder. They are usually a plug with a 90 degree hole in the plug so water doesn't get in.

Treefarmer
    Tomfive, keane, Herminator and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

Big†(06-25-2018)

9. Top | #5
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Treefarmer

I guess I had in mind a double acting cylinder like my top link. If I pull together the parts myself I can go that route. I have the dual rear scv's, why not? Do you guys see a downside to a double acting vs single?
    Tomfive likes this.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Honda Pioneer 700

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Thanks
    No down side, It is just cheaper for them to make it that way and people that buy them to put on old tractors and they may not have dual acting hydraulics.

The other advantage of dual acting is everything is sealed. With the vent in the other end it can suck in dust every time it moves. Eventually this dirt will make its way into your hydraulics and also wear the piston seals. After they wear enough some oil will leak past and will squirt out at the end of the stroke. The other disadvantage of the single is that your oil level drops every time you extend the cylinder since none is being returned.
    Kennyd, keane and Big like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Herminator For This Useful Post:

Auguste†(07-01-2018), Big†(06-26-2018)

12. Top | #7
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Double acting it is. Thanks Herm! Never thought about crud infiltrating my hydraulic oil with the single action.

Thanks to all who responded.
    Tomfive and Herminator like this.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Honda Pioneer 700

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

One advantage

Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    No down side, It is just cheaper for them to make it that way and people that buy them to put on old tractors and they may not have dual acting hydraulics.

The other advantage of dual acting is everything is sealed. With the vent in the other end it can suck in dust every time it moves. Eventually this dirt will make its way into your hydraulics and also wear the piston seals. After they wear enough some oil will leak past and will squirt out at the end of the stroke. The other disadvantage of the single is that your oil level drops every time you extend the cylinder since none is being returned.
    I agree with all of the above but depending on the linkage, you may need to modify it some so the blade can move up on it's own over uneven ground. Hopefully that's already in the linkage but if not you can build in a slide, chain or cable etc. as part of the lift. You don't want the double acting cylinder to hold the blade down, it needs to be able to float up as necessary.

Treefarmer
    Tomfive and Herminator like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

14. Top | #9
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    One of the rear remotes has a float function. I love these new 2 series!
    Tomfive, keane and Herminator like this.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Honda Pioneer 700

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    I agree with all of the above but depending on the linkage, you may need to modify it some so the blade can move up on it's own over uneven ground. Hopefully that's already in the linkage but if not you can build in a slide, chain or cable etc. as part of the lift. You don't want the double acting cylinder to hold the blade down, it needs to be able to float up as necessary.

Treefarmer
    I wondered about that. I am trying to think on our older tractors with single hydraulic if they will float up, Iím not sure if they do. but the dual with float would be ideal.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements