• 2 Post By SulleyBear
  • 5 Post By MrGreen

Thread: John Deere 4120 Backhoe Attachment Install

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-26-2018 @ 04:26 AM
    Thanks

John Deere 4120 Backhoe Attachment Install

Iíve just purchased a John Deere 485 backhoe attachment for my 4120. Does anyone have instructions or advise as how to install it on my tractor? I finally saved up enough to buy one after waiting since 2010 when I bought the Tractor. I couldnít afford it then. I hadnít quite saved up enough though to have the dealer install it so Iím going at it myself. I also had to buy the hydraulic oil cooler so it took up more $$ as well. Looking for help on this monumental task.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,400 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreen View Post
    Iíve just purchased a John Deere 485 backhoe attachment for my 4120. Does anyone have instructions or advise as how to install it on my tractor? I finally saved up enough to buy one after waiting since 2010 when I bought the Tractor. I couldnít afford it then. I hadnít quite saved up enough though to have the dealer install it so Iím going at it myself. I also had to buy the hydraulic oil cooler so it took up more $$ as well. Looking for help on this monumental task.
    Thanks
    Congratulations on your purchase.

Here is a link to the Owners Manual online.....I didn't read through it, but it has sections on installation and operation.

OMLVU23696_E0

Did you purchase it new from the dealer? It should have owners / operators manual and Installation Guide.

Also, If it has a black plastic tube mounted on it, about 6" in diameter and maybe 12" to 15" long, look inside this tube for the operators manual. Deere puts these on most of their implements just for this purpose.

Hope this helps....
    keane and MrGreen like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Congratulations on your purchase.

Here is a link to the Owners Manual online.....I didn't read through it, but it has sections on installation and operation.

OMLVU23696_E0

Did you purchase it new from the dealer? It should have owners / operators manual and Installation Guide.

Also, If it has a black plastic tube mounted on it, about 6" in diameter and maybe 12" to 15" long, look inside this tube for the operators manual. Deere puts these on most of their implements just for this purpose.

Hope this helps....
    I checked the manual but it doesnít go into detail. Yes I did buy it from a dealer new. Iím hoping itíll have detailed instructions when I pick it up. I was hoping someone had installed one before to kind of give me an idea of how it should go.
    Thanks for your help!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

Smile Update on install

I completed the installation of the 485 backhoe attachment on my John Deere 4120 Tractor. It wasnít difficult at all. It is time consuming for those who have not done it before but if youíre a mechanical person you can do it yourself and save hundreds of dollars.
    The instructions are decent but the part numbers are labeled wrong but be patient and look at the pictures not the part labels so much.
    Iím disabled and had to have help. There are some heavy parts included. The frame attachment and bucket for example are 75-150lbs. The backhoe is roughly 1500lbs.
    With help working when I wasnít in pain so bad it took me, my brother and my cousin roughly 15 hours to complete. But keep in mind I had to move slowly. A healthy person could probably do it in half that time.
    Youíll need a torque wrench up to 260ft lbs. Youíll need sockets up to 1 1/2Ē and 3/4Ē socket set if you get the thumb with it.
    The rear wheels and fenders will need to be removed to complete install but its no big deal. Just make sure you have a good working jack and JACK STANDS ARE A MUST! Once you take the rear wheels off itís dangerous. I hope this will help someone with this project. You can do it!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrGreen For This Useful Post:

Btag57†(08-04-2019), tarbe†(09-17-2018)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements