Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: which pallet forks to consider

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-25-2018 @ 05:51 PM
    Thanks

which pallet forks to consider

I want to ask you folks that possess pallet forks for your 1 Family JD how you chose the length forks that you have. I see and read that mostly the lighter weight 36" are often recommended so you don't diminish the lift capacity of the tractor and yet I've seen more than one reference wishing they had bought the 42" apparently claiming the 36" leaves too much unsupported weight of things on a pallet and occasionally things trying to tip off or even breaking the pallet. The price difference isn't out of bounds but is this a valid point since the lift capabilities isn't too tremendous to begin with. I would lean toward the 42" set if y'all agree or just go with the 36" if not. ????
    Robnik likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    To me the difference between the 42” (or 48”) & 36” tines is visibility when trying to slip the forks into things to pick them up-not that the 36” are too short to effectively pick up things. Seeing over the hood and loader is difficult with the shorter forks-it makes you want to stand up out of the seat-and we all know what happens when you do that.

When you consider weight the lightest frame and fork combo I know of is Artillian with the 3” wide tines. IMHO they’re the best available.
    Last edited by balrog006; 07-03-2018 at 07:05 PM.
    Tomfive, rtgt, spferdil and 6 others like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    07-25-2018 @ 05:51 PM
    Thanks

fork length

Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    To me the difference between the 42” (or 48”) & 36” tines is visibility when trying to slip the forks into things to pick them up-not that the 36” are too short to effectively pick up things. Seeing over the hood and loader is difficult with the shorter forks-it makes you want to stand up out of the seat-and we all know what happens when you do that.

When you consider weight the lightest frame and fork combo I know of is Artillian with the 3” wide tines. IMHO they’re the best available.
    Ahhh Visibility for pick-up. Hadn't considered that. Good call. I'm guessing you're saying the 3" forks are 2300# rated eh? Much more than the 1 Series will lift so should be sufficient, and lighter than the regular 4" forks. Thanks for the reply.
    blue87fj60 and Robnik like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Thanks
    I agree with Balrog...visibility. I have 42" and quite often I am leaning left or right or trying to look up to see the tips. It's really not to bad but I wouldn't want 36's for that reason. I've even been contemplating painting the tips yellow for better visibility.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,234 Posts
    I agree with the others, the only reason I wish I had 42" forks would be for visibility, the tips of my 36's are just not easy to see. But since I already have the 36" when I buy another set of tines I will more than likely get 48's . I think, that one is still in the think tank, our 2555 has 48's and man do they stick out there a long ways.
    blue87fj60, Robnik and kylew like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:21 PM
    Thanks
    I ordered the 36", but they sent the 42". I'm glad they did.

I understand the JD brand forks are real heavy and not a good choice for a SCUT. Artillians are the lightest and the Titan forks are about 25lbs heavier. I chose the Titans mainly because of cost. Artillians would have cost twice as much - if I lived out east I may have chosen Artillians but the higher initial cost combined with a few hundred bucks to ship just wasn't worth saving 25lbs of weight. Titans also frequently offer ten to twenty percent discounts and free shipping.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

9. The Following User Says Thank You to W9GFO For This Useful Post:

tareece (07-04-2018)

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Thanks
    I am one of those that purchased 36" Artillians and semi regretted not selecting 42".
    Visibility is a slight issue but the ability to reach further into my truck bed and also pick up greater quantities of logs or brush would be nice.

I later purchased the backrest extension and I highly recommend whatever brand you buy to make sure you get one. They allow larger bundles of material to be safely lifted and carried without the risk of material falling back on the tractor loader arms or hood.

I do not regret paying for the Artillian, they are brilliant. I will confess to being the type of fool who likes to purchase high quality when I can afford to and thereafter maintain them in good condition.
    More financial astute individuals may opt for paying less for comparable function and I would not dispute their logic.

Good luck with your purchase, they are absolutely priceless to have on hand for me.

To add, I have had no trouble with pallet handling at 36" length. I have even brought a few pallets home from work to stack wood on and through in the truck prior to shopping so that when I get home I only have to fork a loaded pallet out of the truck.
    Last edited by Jeff B; 07-03-2018 at 08:31 PM. Reason: To add
    arlen, rtgt, Tractor Tim and 6 others like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    How often will you be using these? I have a set of the Titan clamp on's. They are awesome.
    43in
    1500lb rating
    126$ delivered.

https://www.palletforks.com/clamp-on...-capacity.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jd2305.JPG  
    blue87fj60, s1283, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:42 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    I am one of those that purchased 36" Artillians and semi regretted not selecting 42".
    Visibility is a slight issue but the ability to reach further into my truck bed and also pick up greater quantities of logs or brush would be nice.

I later purchased the backrest extension and I highly recommend whatever brand you buy to make sure you get one. They allow larger bundles of material to be safely lifted and carried without the risk of material falling back on the tractor loader arms or hood.

I do not regret paying for the Artillian, they are brilliant. I will confess to being the type of fool who likes to purchase high quality when I can afford to and thereafter maintain them in good condition.
    More financial astute individuals may opt for paying less for comparable function and I would not dispute their logic.

Good luck with your purchase, they are absolutely priceless to have on hand for me.

To add, I have had no trouble with pallet handling at 36" length. I have even brought a few pallets home from work to stack wood on and through in the truck prior to shopping so that when I get home I only have to fork a loaded pallet out of the truck.
    I am in same boat as you. Got 36" w/ my Artillians. Absolute great forks but i probably should
    of gotten 42" because of hood visibility.
    The backrest was a great addition as well i agree.
    Jeff B, Robnik, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:32 PM
    Thanks
    Well, I have to be different!! I have 36" forks on my Artillian frame and would not want forks any longer.

First: seeing the fork tips over the hood. I simply look to the left slightly and I can see the tips fine and of course this only applies when lifting something from grade. When lifting a pallet, you will have the forks separated so you will be able to see one of the forks quite easily by just looking to one side.

Second: concerning pallet support. I have lift pallets loaded with bags of concrete evenly loaded on the pallet and have never broken a pallet. 36" forks on a 48" pallet is not a problem unless of course the pallet is shot to start with.

Third: you have to keep in mind, you are going to be using these forks on a 1 series. These tractors are not going to pick the world to start with. The additional length in the front of the tractor, you will notice when maneuvering the tractor around.

IMHO.. seeing the fork tips is a non-issue for me, because I can see mine by just leaning to the left and I am only 6' tall. The 36" length is of no concern when lifting 48" pallets. Finally, having the additional length hanging out the front of a small tractor when maneuvering is the biggest issue and you will notice the additional length. This was the biggest issue for me and I have not regretted having 36" forks once.

Now, you have to decided for yourself and I do understand, it is hard to picture a set of forks on a 1 series and what they look like before you have the forks. Before I bought mine, I took two pieces of 2 x 4, one 36" long and one 42" long, slide them in the bucket and c-clamped them to the bottom of the bucket at the width that forks would normally be used at. Then I maneuvered the tractor around to see how noticeable the difference was. I immediately noticed that the extra 6" hanging out the front of the tractor was a bigger issue to me than having to lean to the left to see the end of the 36" piece.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast