Woods Rear Discharge Finish Mower,, Chain Guard, or, No Chain Guard??
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Woods Rear Discharge Finish Mower,, Chain Guard, or, No Chain Guard??

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Thanks

Woods Rear Discharge Finish Mower,, Chain Guard, or, No Chain Guard??

I ran a RD 72 Woods mower last summer, with the chain guard across the back,,

I did not EVER see clumping, but, the cut grass distribution was not perfect.

This year, I purchased a Woods PRD 7200, with no chain guard,,
    WOW,, the distribution of the mower without the guard is nice,,

I am wondering if there is any reason to run the chain guard, especially in my rural secluded setting?

The chain guard off the RD72 will fit the PRD7200, so is not the issue, I have the guard,,,

I have mowed 20-30 acres with the non guarded mower, I have never seen anything fly out of the back..

Am I missing some reason that I should have the optional chain guard installed?
    keefus and JD4044M like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Thanks
    Just got done mowing at least 40 acres with a older M5 Woods Brush Hog and no chains. It left little rows out the back a Mini Hay Baler could bale up? I was wondering myself if the chains were for rock ect or keeping the grass longer under the mower? I sit so high rocks are not a problem for me and where I mow nothing to hit with them either?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1779.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	637164
    CADplans likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,042 Times in 2,207 Posts
    I have always been under the assumption that the chain guard was for dampening the flight of debris. If you are mowing the same regular areas and have no bystanders nearby I don’t see the need.

You’ve already proven that.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Thanks
    Chain guards are for flying debris. One never knows when that might be needed. I have chain guards on my Befco RFM and grass distribution has never been a problem unless I am mowing some really tall stuff, but not my normal yard mowing.

Dave
    CADplans and JD4044M like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:22 PM
    Thanks
    CadP - I run a FarmKing RFM, 84 inch cut, with no chain guard. It has a flat skirt on the rear of the deck. The worst debris that it has thrown was a blade after the bolt backed out last summer. The three blade design, on my mower and likely yours also, funnels the grass towards the middle blade, then the clippings are laid down at the mid-point of the deck. If your blades are sharp, you are mowing dry(ish) grass at sufficient RPM without too much other debris in your field, then the presence or absence of the chain should not be a factor, IMO.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    I ran a RD 72 Woods mower last summer, with the chain guard across the back,,

I did not EVER see clumping, but, the cut grass distribution was not perfect.

This year, I purchased a Woods PRD 7200, with no chain guard,,
    WOW,, the distribution of the mower without the guard is nice,,

I am wondering if there is any reason to run the chain guard, especially in my rural secluded setting?

The chain guard off the RD72 will fit the PRD7200, so is not the issue, I have the guard,,,

I have mowed 20-30 acres with the non guarded mower, I have never seen anything fly out of the back..

Am I missing some reason that I should have the optional chain guard installed?
    CADplans likes this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks

Broke my PTO Shaft Universal

Well the Grade 5 bolt did not shear on a clump of heavy grass and just pulled the PTO Shaft right off the back of my tractor. It left the part that hooks to the shaft on the tractor it was still on with a empty yoke. Looked at the other end and the universal was OK with no caps they were in the part on the tractor? Never saw one go where it spread the yoke so the caps could come off the universal! I pressed the yoke back together it is OK and just bought another U-Joint. I got the friction slip joint installed but still going to use a Grade 2 Bolt till I prove to myself it is working. If it dose I will just leave the weaker bolt in for now. That tractor has some power to pull apart a 47 HP rated PTO Shaft and rip out Ripper Tooth's in the blink of a eye!
    Last edited by JD4044M; 07-12-2018 at 07:34 PM.
    CADplans likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    Well the Grade 5 bolt did not shear on a clump of heavy grass and just pulled the PTO Shaft right off the back of my tractor.
    That tractor has some power to pull apart a 47 HP rated PTO Shaft and rip out Ripper Tooth's in the blink of a eye!
    I haven't really figured out these PTO mowers,, yet,,

My JD 650, with 14 PTO horsepower will shear a grade two 5/16" bolt in a blink of an eye when running a 48" RFM.
    I had to go back to grade five,,, simply engaging the mower while in thick grass could shear the bolt.

My SIL has run a Woods RM59 behind the JD 855,, he pulled the belt in half about every month of mowing,,
    yes, it is a Kevlar belt.

So far, my new Woods PRD7200 has not sheared or broken anything behind my 41 horsepower JD,,,

then,, there are the grade five shear bolts on the post hole digger,,,
    don't plan on digging more than one hole unless you have a pocket full of bolts,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks

Found the reason the U-Joint Broke!!

OK here is what happen I did hit a clump of heavy thick Clump Grass and the tractor started to bog down and I lifted the brush up then back down that is when I looked back and saw my PTO Shaft slowly turning laying on the deck top. Today getting ready to replace the U-Joint I see the sliding shaft (inside the black plastic tube)beat up pushed against the U-Joint?? The only thing I can figure is my PTO Shaft was a tiny bit to long and when I lifted the Brush Hog up fast it went all the way up further? It pushed the shaft into the U-Joint and right out of the yoke! There is a Pin that holds this shaft in the yoke. It sheared it off clean I had to cut it flush on the cut off saw and use a section of thick steel that fit just inside the hole. I used this to pound it on thru cause no way was it going out the way it went in. So I fixed and welded the holes for the pin next time it will bend or break the other one. So after all this I go to put the new U-Joint in and they gave me the wrong one and POED Me! Back to town for another one and the one they gave me they can eat! I had to open the package pull the caps and start to press it in then I noticed it did not fit. So it is dirty and the rubber is now messed up. Glad it was their guy who gave it to me cause I bought the PTO Shaft from them also.

PS That Grade 5 1/2" bolt was distorted some and it was ready to break so it was doing its job. ! am mowing up to 4 ft tall grass and weeds so hard to see the bottom for rocks. I have only hit a few and busted one shear bolt on a rock. Thick grass was twisting them off not sharp impacts.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 07-12-2018 at 09:54 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks

PTO Shaft Solved

Boy North 40 Hardware Store in Omak, WA. ROCKS!!! Went in with my problem of getting the wrong U-Joint to fix the PTO Shaft. They ended up not having one for it so they said take a new PTO Shaft home and bring your old one back and it cost me nothing! They even refunded my money on the other U-Joint. Now that is good salesmanship and I will always remember this. I did not even have to put a deposit on the $170.00 PTO Shaft with tax. The old one is going back tomorrow. So now I can mow once more to finish up the front pastures near the house and big barn. I did tell them I had cut my old one to fit which was still sorta new had the stickers still on it. So I cut the new one down to fit also. I did try to just swap ends but 2 PTO's with the same stock number had the Male/Female Slip Joint going the opposite way Can't put a female end into a female end don't work
    Last edited by JD4044M; 07-13-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    keane likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks

Friction Clutch Works Great!

Wrapping up the mowing today I found a section of Field Fence in the grass with a big ball of it on the end. Well the blade sucked up the fence and pulled the ball into the blades under the mower deck! It thru it out of balance fast and I hit the kill PTO Switch in time. Slip Clutch worked by slipping and the Grade 5 Shear Bolt also held which I kept in the drive line just in case. Had to take the tractor back to the shop and cut it off the blades using a bolt cutter nipping it off. Glad I now know where all the crap is in the places I need to mow now! On the big rocks I am going to hit them with bright orange paint for now and dig them out later? Still have more unknown to mow but getting better at finding things except this wire. The bucket slid right over it and I never felt it. The big chunk hooked to it was in the next mowing course that it pulled it from going by.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast