Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Suggestions Please to Installing (planting) Metal T Fence Posts

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Thanks

Suggestions Please to Installing (planting) Metal T Fence Posts

I have 100 plus metal "T" fence posts to install . . . they are 7 ft in length . . . will have another 150 to install later in the year

Anyone have any tricks on how to plant the posts with either the 1025r FEL or the back-hoe?

Much appreciate any info or suggestions you may have.

Yes I know about the pipe sliding hammers but at my age an easier way would be great!
    etcallhome, greenharley and Robnik like this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Thanks

Loader push

A loader bucket full of rock will either push them in or bend them, depending on the operator and the soil conditions. It really requires two people- one to operate the loader and the other to set the posts in position. It's also better to have something on the bottom of the loader to hold the post like a shallow inverted pipe cap tack welded to the bucket.

I'm not a huge fan of using a loader because it puts the "post" guy in a position where he/she is holding the posts while the loader bucket is coming down on top of the post. Even just reaching in from one side means part of their body is under a heavy weight not to mention the fun that can happen if the operator doesn't have a good touch on the controls. It's also a bit tricky to keep the posts vertical, at the proper depth and in line.

My suggestion would be to find some strong young kids and offer them a price per post to pound them in. If the ground is dry and hard, it's real work. If you can catch a wet spell the posts go in pretty easily.

Treefarmer
    mjncad, etcallhome, keane and 7 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:35 PM
    Thanks
    There is no easy way. Wet dirt or sand are the only thing that makes it easier. After putting in thousands of them in with a picket pounder, the long tube used, I would follow Treefarmer advice and hire some kids to do it. The buckets tend to bend them or make them go in crooked more often than not.

Good luck,
    WB
    1025r with FILB, 60MMM, BH
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:32 AM
    Thanks
    The easy way is hire it done. We tried using the FEL and ended up with a bunch of bent post. It was also hard to keep them lined up. Look at bulletin boards around town or in classified ads for odd jobs.
    Last edited by Drifterbike; 07-11-2018 at 07:43 AM.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    If you have that many to install why not invest in a gas-powered T-post driver? They are like $250 and at the end of the job you can keep it or sell it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15EXPoBWg84
    Last edited by jgayman; 07-11-2018 at 07:49 AM.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:41 PM
    Thanks
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=jgayman;3046914]If you have that many to install why not invest in a gas-powered T-post driver? They are like $250 and at the end of the job you can keep it or sell it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15EXPoBWg84[/QUOTE

That looks like the bomb! Oh where was that last year when I was putting my pool fence? I wonder how it does on aluminum square posts?
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    I just checked Everything Attachments and they have some 3point drivers but they start at $2800 and go up from there. You would probably need to go in business or have a LOT of acreage to fence in order to make it worth it.

The Titan driver listed isn't cheap either but at $700 I would be more inclined to fork that kind of money over than for a tractor mounted driver. I suppose you could probably rent a Titan driver?
    mjncad, etcallhome and Robnik like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:41 PM
    Thanks
    I've put in thousands of T posts with a loader bucket, but always using bigger tractors, not S/M/CUTs.
    With 7' posts, I don't think the 1025 will reach high enough anyway...

If you get a post pounder with handles it works much better than just a capped pipe.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:41 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    I just checked Everything Attachments and they have some 3point drivers but they start at $2800 and go up from there. You would probably need to go in business or have a LOT of acreage to fence in order to make it worth it.

The Titan driver listed isn't cheap either but at $700 I would be more inclined to fork that kind of money over than for a tractor mounted driver. I suppose you could probably rent a Titan driver?
    You can get the non-honda powered Titan for about ~$400 and the Honda powered one for ~$600. There are knock offs for cheaper than that.

Me and my buddy laid out 20 6' posts along a string and drove them all 2' into the ground in 5 minutes. That was more of a time trail and was more work than I normally like, but we wanted to see how quick it would go.

The gas drivers are nice and a ton easier than a manual driver, but they are still work. I bought mine with the thought that I would sell it when I get done with our property, but I may end up keeping it.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast