Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Grading 1-1/2" Crushed stone...which implement

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks

Grading 1-1/2" Crushed stone...which implement

Hi All,

I will be taking up a section of my lawn and putting in a parking pad for my Son's car. This will be next to my garage and come off my paved driveway, so it will be a 12' x 22' rectangle with a 12' x 21' right-triangle on the short end of the rectangle. I plan on using 1-1/2" crushed blue stone, probably at a depth of 6".

Will I be able to grade this with a rear scraper blade or will I need a box-blade with scarifiers? I will be buying whichever I need for this and will keep it for future needs.

I am not a total noob, I used to own a 4100 CUT and had a light duty rear scraper blade (sold it all 15 years ago, now I am slowly buying it all back ), which I had used only for grading dirt. So I have some idea of what I can do with a scraper, which is why I am questioning whether it would be effective on 1-1/2" crushed stone. I fear it might just ride over the stone, as 1-1/2" crushed stone packs together pretty well. However, I've never used a box blade before so I have no feel for what a box blade would do here.

Any and all thoughts, suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Thumper
    Robnik and PJR832 like this.
    2025R (Gen 1), 220 FEL with 53" bucket, Edge Tamers, Artillian 36" pallet forks, 72" County Line Rear Blade, 54" OnRamp MMM, 14bu MCS with powerflow, Ken's Bolt-On Hooks/Clevis combo, Heavy Hitch 2" receiver / double weight bracket, 16 suitcase weights.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:36 PM
    Thanks
    The scarifiers won't do anything for the rock. You MIGHT need them to dig 6 inches down into your soil, but I'm not familiar with your soil,
    and you posted nothing about your soil conditions, so you'd have a better handle on that than I would.

What I would suggest, based on experience with my driveway, is:
    Start at the bottom with a geotextile fabric layer.
    Follow up with something large, like 3 or 4 minus, then after that is graded and packed (drive on it a lot, or get a roller),
    cover with 3/4 or 3/4 minus.

The fabric bridges any soft spots in the underlying soil and minimizes sinking areas when everything is soaking wet.
    The larger base rock packs well, but provides a larger surface area to, again, minimize sinking
    The 3/4 or 3/4 minus on top gives it a nice look and levels out to a nice smooth surface - some people prefer the loose rock on top,
    while others prefer that that layer pack in, so that determines whether you want 3/4 or 3/4 minus. Some even do 3/4 minus and let it pack in for
    a year or so, then surface with 3/4. Or you can use your 1.5" stone.
    Tomfive, ky_shawn, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    tquarles
    1025R FILB with 60" MMM, 48" Kuhn tiller, 60" Howse box blade,
    Howse post hole digger, JD LX60 brush cutter, Bearcat chipper, 3-point broadcast spreader
    Artillian forks and receiver mount, Cyclone Rake.
    Gator TS

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tquarles For This Useful Post:

ThumperACC (07-11-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tquarles View Post
    The scarifiers won't do anything for the rock. You MIGHT need them to dig 6 inches down into your soil, but I'm not familiar with your soil,
    and you posted nothing about your soil conditions, so you'd have a better handle on that than I would.
    Thanks. I'm not worried about digging up the lawn, I've dug out the lawn before with the FEL just fine. This time I will kill it with Roundup, then till up the sod to break it up then just dig it up with the loader. The scraper/box will be used to grade the crushed stone.

Which do you use to grade your driveway, a rear scraper or a box blade?

Quote Originally Posted by tquarles View Post
    What I would suggest, based on experience with my driveway, is:
    Start at the bottom with a geotextile fabric layer.
    Follow up with something large, like 3 or 4 minus, then after that is graded and packed (drive on it a lot, or get a roller),
    cover with 3/4 or 3/4 minus.

The fabric bridges any soft spots in the underlying soil and minimizes sinking areas when everything is soaking wet.
    The larger base rock packs well, but provides a larger surface area to, again, minimize sinking
    The 3/4 or 3/4 minus on top gives it a nice look and levels out to a nice smooth surface - some people prefer the loose rock on top,
    while others prefer that that layer pack in, so that determines whether you want 3/4 or 3/4 minus. Some even do 3/4 minus and let it pack in for
    a year or so, then surface with 3/4. Or you can use your 1.5" stone.
    Yeah, if I were doing a permanent solution, I would be doing something more like what you suggest here. This is a 5-10 year solution, after which I want to be able to dig up the crushed stone (and repurpose it somewhere else) and put the lawn back in. So, the 1-1/2" stone will be a compromise. Won't displace too much, and will come up more easily in the future and be more generally useful. I will be using some sort of geotextile though.

Thanks,
    Thumper
    Robnik and PJR832 like this.
    2025R (Gen 1), 220 FEL with 53" bucket, Edge Tamers, Artillian 36" pallet forks, 72" County Line Rear Blade, 54" OnRamp MMM, 14bu MCS with powerflow, Ken's Bolt-On Hooks/Clevis combo, Heavy Hitch 2" receiver / double weight bracket, 16 suitcase weights.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThumperACC View Post
    Which do you use to grade your driveway, a rear scraper or a box blade?
    What's wrong with just using the FEL / bucket? I've always had a gravel driveway and recently spread out and graded 30 tons of new crushed stones using the FEL / bucket. Back dragging with the loader in float is just like icing a cake. :-)
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

ThumperACC (07-11-2018)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    What's wrong with just using the FEL / bucket? I've always had a gravel driveway and recently spread out and graded 30 tons of new crushed stones using the FEL / bucket. Back dragging with the loader in float is just like icing a cake. :-)
    Thank you.

I have an 850’ driveway - have spread multiple tri-axle loads using just my loader. I prefer that to anything else unless we are talking miles of roadway - then a grader is my tool of choice.

With the loader I feel I can make more precise adjustments on the fly plus utilize float a lot. Plus I can see what I am doing without killing my neck.
    ky_shawn, Robnik, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

ThumperACC (07-11-2018)

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Thank you.

I have an 850’ driveway - have spread multiple tri-axle loads using just my loader. I prefer that to anything else unless we are talking miles of roadway - then a grader is my tool of choice.

With the loader I feel I can make more precise adjustments on the fly plus utilize float a lot. Plus I can see what I am doing without killing my neck.
    Well, I've done lots of grading with my FEL in the past, with pretty good results I might add.
    But I was figuring that since a rear grading blade and/or box blade are designed for grading that they might do a better job. Thought I might try a purpose built tool instead of the jack of all trades (FEL).
    If I am mistaken and the FEL is the tool of choice then I can save myself some money.

Thumper

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Well, I've done lots of grading with my FEL in the past, with pretty good results I might add.
    But I was figuring that since a rear grading blade and/or box blade are designed for grading that they might do a better job. Thought I might try a purpose built tool instead of the jack of all trades (FEL).
    If I am mistaken and the FEL is the tool of choice then I can save myself some money.

Thumper
    If your wanting an implement designed for grading with excellent results, go with a landplane. It depends on the job at hand as to which implement I use but at some point the loader/bucket/float gets used every time when working with gravel.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 07-11-2018 at 09:34 PM.
    PJR832 and firemachine69 like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

ThumperACC (07-12-2018)

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 05:20 AM
    Thanks
    I agree using the loader is probably the fastest way to lay down gravel. That's how I installed my driveway and parking pad. Now, I maintain it using a land plane which is super simple to use and gives great results. However it's kind of expensive and is meant for long runs. Since you just doing a parking pad I would just use a the bucket. If I was to do anything else to I would get a roller and run over it to pack down and lock in the gravel. You can do that with a heavy vehicle as well. Prior to installing the gravel I would roll and pack down as hard/flat as you can the base you are putting the gravel on. Makes things easier to deal with, at least for me it did. I used clay sand for a base. Probably the wrong thing to do but it was the cheapest dirt available and it seems like most folks use it around here for that purpose. Like everything else money played a role in the decision making on the driveway.

You may want to give a quick call to your gravel supplier on what they do in your area or maybe you already have.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 69project For This Useful Post:

ThumperACC (07-12-2018)

16. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,216 Posts
    I should have mentioned that I also have a rear blade but still pretty much use the FEL when dealing with crushed stones. A box blade is definitely handy for smoothing and grading dirt but it can be a bit less effective with crushed stones. I also run my 900 lb. lawn roller over the stones to take out the lumps and pack the stones a bit.

What I have found works BEST is to use the FEL for all of the transporting, dumping and rough smoothing of the crushed stones. Then, follow up with some type of drag to smooth out the remaining imperfections in the stones. Something like a bed spring works great but I've also had good success with a gizmo like shown below.

A mesh mat is also very handy and won't leave marks in the stones like a conventional drag harrow.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drag_bar.jpg   mesh.jpg  
    Last edited by jgayman; 07-11-2018 at 09:34 PM.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

ThumperACC (07-12-2018)

18. Top | #10
    Last Online
    07-02-2019 @ 08:40 AM
    Thanks
    I'm becoming a real fan of the box blade. I use it for driveway grading, root ripping,pushing logs, etc, and it makes great ballast.
    Tomfive, ky_shawn, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    2017 2032R - 220r FEL, 72" mmm,Frontier 2084 blade ,JD 670 tiller, frontier 48" pallet forks, allied 2060 snowblower,JD 513 brush hog, EA 55" grapple,Frontier 2060 box blade, Farmi 351p logging winch
    LX 186 - 48" deck, 38" snowblower
    F 510
    GTX 38
    Cub Cadet GTX 1054
    2011 825i Gator

19. The Following User Says Thank You to goat704! For This Useful Post:

ThumperACC (07-12-2018)

20. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast