Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Best salt spreader??

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Thanks

Best salt spreader??

Hate to talk snow in July but making some big purchases. Wife and I just bought 5 acres on top of a mountain with best neighbors ever. (None) lol. Just what we always wanted. However I have to take care of the steep driveway now. Had a pretty steep hill in neighborhood before and cleared it with blade on sxs and hand threw some salt out. This driveway much longer and now that Iím gonna have a pto machine whatís best spreader for salt. Some say for salt. Some say for seed. Metal Vs poly? Etc... btw gonna be on a 2025r.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Alex-

2018 2025R
    60" MMM
    120R Loader
    AV10F Frontier snow plow
    AP10F 42" Frontier pallet forks
    Blue Diamond Toothbar
    Kens Bolt on Hooks
    5 Ft KK Box Blade
    Carry All
    Single Row Cultivator
    KK Middle Buster

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Well... you did say BEST salt spreader. :-) I would stick with something made specifically for salt from a company that specializes in salt dispensing equipment. It will work better and last longer. I would also avoid a PTO spreader. Most of them are going to have a spread width that is way too wide and you'll just waste material.

I recommend a tailgate spreader that attaches to a 2" receiver hitch and has an electric motor. They come in various capacities depending on how much material you need to carry. Most have an option for variable speed. These will give much more control and will be way easier than dealing with a PTO spreader. You can use a 2" receiver trailer tow bar that can hook to the 3PH or quick hitch.

A few of the big name salt spreader brands are:

https://www.meyerproducts.com/salt-spreaders/tailgate

https://www.buyersproducts.com/catal...-spreaders-469

https://www.snowexproducts.com/product/utility/
    Kennyd likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    ^^^^^^^ Sound advice above. I have seen many seeders rust away to becoming worthless from spreading fertilizer, salt is just as hard on them. If you did choose a seeder I would for sure want a poly tank.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 07-13-2018 at 10:07 PM.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Well... you did say BEST salt spreader. :-) I would stick with something made specifically for salt from a company that specializes in salt dispensing equipment. It will work better and last longer. I would also avoid a PTO spreader. Most of them are going to have a spread width that is way too wide and you'll just waste material.

I recommend a tailgate spreader that attaches to a 2" receiver hitch and has an electric motor. They come in various capacities depending on how much material you need to carry. Most have an option for variable speed. These will give much more control and will be way easier than dealing with a PTO spreader. You can use a 2" receiver trailer tow bar that can hook to the 3PH or quick hitch.

A few of the big name salt spreader brands are:

https://www.meyerproducts.com/salt-spreaders/tailgate

https://www.buyersproducts.com/catal...-spreaders-469

https://www.snowexproducts.com/product/utility/
    Hadnít thought about that at all. Iíll look into them. Figured the pto would be the way to go. Iíve had a few for the atv and pull behind kind. They always clump up and jam. But they were all bought at box or farm stores as seeders also. Thanks for the info

-Alex-

2018 2025R
    60" MMM
    120R Loader
    AV10F Frontier snow plow
    Blue Diamond Toothbar
    Kens Bolt on Hooks
    5 Ft KK Box Blade
    Carry All
    Single Row Cultivator
    KK Middle Buster

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I have to ask this if you are talking about a long driveway in the boonies (no neighbors)....

Is the driveway paved? If it is dirt the last thing you want to do is spread salt on it.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Has anyone used a liquid ice melter. Some of our state road trucks use it now. Idk if itís available for consumer use but if could just use a boom sprayer to de-ice the road would really work great.

-Alex-

2018 2025R
    60" MMM
    120R Loader
    AV10F Frontier snow plow
    Blue Diamond Toothbar
    Kens Bolt on Hooks
    5 Ft KK Box Blade
    Carry All
    Single Row Cultivator
    KK Middle Buster

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wvdeere View Post
    Has anyone used a liquid ice melter. Some of our state road trucks use it now. Idk if itís available for consumer use but if could just use a boom sprayer to de-ice the road would really work great.

Here in Penna the state uses salt brine. It is simply salt put into a tank of water until liquified - then sprayed on the road. Some states use a calcium chloride or magnesium chloride solution.

Liquid whatever is only useful if put down before a winter precipitation event. Spraying on top of ice will do little good. Thatís where solid salt is needed.

What the state does now is sprays liquified salt brine onto the salt as it is applied to the road - you will see the small tanks on the tailgate of the trucks. What this does is activates the salt right away when it is applied on the road. Salt needs moisture to work. If it is cold and dry (no humidity) salt will just lay there until it gets some moisture to activate.
    danselec07 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Thanks
    https://www.ventrac.com/products/accessories/sa250

This is one we have used for a couple years on a back of a Toro sidewalk machine. Haven't heard the guys complaining about clumping with this unit compared to the poly ones on other machines. And since it drops straight down, better than ones with a spinner throwing material everywhere.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    https://www.ventrac.com/products/accessories/sa250

This is one we have used for a couple years on a back of a Toro sidewalk machine. Haven't heard the guys complaining about clumping with this unit compared to the poly ones on other machines. And since it drops straight down, better than ones with a spinner throwing material everywhere.
    Not when you are trying to salt a driveway. :-)
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Not when you are trying to salt a driveway. :-)
    Depends on driveway, you want to throw it in your grass or control where it is dropped?

2 passes=80 inches.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast