Will a box blade be enough to fill ruts?
Like Tree23Likes
  • 1 Post By Sportshot2
  • 6 Post By kylew
  • 5 Post By Herminator
  • 2 Post By Doug
  • 4 Post By 69project
  • 1 Post By Ray_PA
  • 2 Post By Sportshot2
  • 1 Post By 69project
  • 1 Post By RonPol

Thread: Will a box blade be enough to fill ruts?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 10:21 PM
    Thanks

Will a box blade be enough to fill ruts?

I have a 1025r and want to use it to repair ruts that have developed over 30 years of atv use. Will a box blade cut into most soils enough to allow me to fill the ruts? I bought a Piranha blade and installed it on the bucket but I would think a box blade would fill in the ruts better.

Please give me your suggestions. I donít own a tiller or box blade yet and I have an asphalt driveway so the only use for the box blade would be on 10miles of trails
    Levi likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Thanks
    A box blade should do fine. I full in potholes on our gravel road with mine. With 10 miles of trails you'll get a lot of practice and learning. If you're using the scarifiers, tree roots and big rocks are what's going to really need your attention.
    Levi, Marlin, Treefarmer and 3 others like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    A box blade should do fine. I full in potholes on our gravel road with mine. With 10 miles of trails you'll get a lot of practice and learning. If you're using the scarifiers, tree roots and big rocks are what's going to really need your attention.
    Agreed, I can’t think of a better implement for that. The only question I have is once you have all that loose material are washouts going to be a problem?
    Last edited by Herminator; 07-14-2018 at 11:08 PM.
    Levi, Ray_PA, Marlin and 2 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    Yes, the box blade will work great. After the learning curve, you will make the trails look great like a pro!

Doug
    Levi and Marlin like this.
    2010 John Deere 2305
    200cx loader
    iMatch
    Ballast Box
    Frontier 1048 Box Blade
    Frontier 1060L Landscape Rake
    Artillian Forks
    54 MM Mower
    54 Front Blade w/Artillian Wings
    54 Front Blower
    Humbolt 3-Bag 12 Bushel PTO Grass Catcher

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 05:20 AM
    Thanks
    Box blade should do the trick. You may stop your 1 series cold if you take too much of a bite or hit roots. You will probably find that you will use your FEL as well to cut down the ruts. I have done one pass on my trails with a land plane and noticed a big difference. My trails are brand new so very crude to be honest but it did make a noticeable improvement. I am going to assume a box blade would be even better and more maneuverable in the woods than a land plane. Ten miles of trails is a lot of work, bring a snickers bar and extra can of fuel!
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    Agreed, I canít think of a better implement for that. The only question I have is once you have all that loose material are washouts going to be a problem?
    Agreed.....the issue will be the loose material once you get it level. You will have to take the four wheeler's over it allot to pack it in once leveled.
    Marlin likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 10:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the information. Iím not too concerned about the loose dirt. Most of the areas have been a problem because of very wet weather some years. I just need to get the dirt and some class five into some of the low areas. There is about 10 miles of trails we use but some is high ground so there is very little trouble there.

Just learning how to operate the tractor. Dug my first small stump out and will work on 3 more this week.

Now to find the right box blade, I would guess a 5 footer would be the right choice. I see Fleet Farm in my area usually has King Kutters at a good price but Iím not sure they are category one implements
    BigJim55 and Marlin like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 05:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportshot2 View Post
    Thanks for all the information. Iím not too concerned about the loose dirt. Most of the areas have been a problem because of very wet weather some years. I just need to get the dirt and some class five into some of the low areas. There is about 10 miles of trails we use but some is high ground so there is very little trouble there.

Just learning how to operate the tractor. Dug my first small stump out and will work on 3 more this week.

Now to find the right box blade, I would guess a 5 footer would be the right choice. I see Fleet Farm in my area usually has King Kutters at a good price but Iím not sure they are category one implements
    You want one that will cover the width of tractor tires, I think a 4 foot one will do that with a 1 series. Just remember the wider the box, the more dirt it captures which is great to a point. There is a fine line with a 1 series on how much bite it can grab on each pass and be fine and when it will struggle. I think either size will work for you but you might find the 4 footer easier to deal with. The width of your trail should also be a planning factor.
    kylew likes this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    I researched this a fair amount last year as to what width and what brand to buy. I had come to the conclusion a 5' would work, but it would easy to overload and I'd have to back out and start over often. So I narrowed it down to a 54". For the money, the 54" offered by Everything Attachments appeared to be the best value and features.

We sold our home with the gravel driveway this spring, so I never did purchase one and now I don't have a need for one.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 08:28 PM
    Thanks
    With 10 miles of trails I would buy the heaviest one I could find. Weight in a box blade will transfer into how long the implement will last in my opinion.
    Ron
    Treefarmer likes this.
    John Deere X758 with a 60" HC MMM deck and a 47" Front mount Blower.
    John Deere 17p cart

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements