Snow push ?? Pros and cons? Advice!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Snow push ?? Pros and cons? Advice!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Thanks

Does anyone use a snow push? Iím buying a new machine and it has to be able to clear several hundred feet of steep partially paved driveway in the winter. I had decided on the plow but it sticks way out front and after years of plowing and breaking my plow on my sxs I know how much side force pushing into a snow Bank is. I worry about putting that much uneven stress on loader and plow. The snow push however stays straight and is closer to the Tractor and pushes evenly with both arms like the bucket. I have never used one tho and donít know the advantages or disadvantages. Anyone have any experience with them? Pros and cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Alex-

2018 2025R
    60" MMM
    120R Loader
    AV10F Frontier snow plow
    AP10F 42" Frontier pallet forks
    Blue Diamond Toothbar
    Kens Bolt on Hooks
    5 Ft KK Box Blade
    Carry All
    Single Row Cultivator
    KK Middle Buster

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Basically - a pusher is great for open lots - a plow is for long runs on a driveway.

The thing with these smaller tractors is weight - or the lack of. If you are pushing a lot of heavy wet snow with an angled plow it is going to push the tractor sideways instead of the snow pushing off to the side.

And if your driveway is steep enough you wonít be pushing snow uphill without chains and lots of weight - it will be downhill pushes only.

The way I plow my driveway I open up a big intersection and push most of the snow into a gulley. A pusher would be better for me than a plow. But for 11 years now I have been using my bucket only - works fine for me.

This was a light snow of about 4Ē or so - typically get 8Ē or more.

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	7181E80E-B7D3-45A3-B3AA-5969A5AC3940.jpg†
Views:	83†
Size:	169.9 KB†
ID:	638780

Name:	CB39644F-3DEC-4FE4-BF6D-1A05EF970198.jpg†
Views:	77†
Size:	136.7 KB†
ID:	638782

Name:	ED1F067A-302A-4F01-9678-AA7D382C9E74.jpg†
Views:	68†
Size:	131.0 KB†
ID:	638784

Name:	B4962E37-E42B-42B2-BEE2-9279F7724850.jpg†
Views:	68†
Size:	150.5 KB†
ID:	638786
    PaDave, JKR and PJR832 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    05-24-2019 @ 10:27 AM
    Thanks
    Here in Michigan I use my 1025r with the 54" front blade, with rubber strip on the bottom. I plow over 100' concrete with a pretty steep grade. I have loaded rear tires, wheel weights, and run no chains. Does just fine. Seldom need the four wheel drive. I have also used the rubber blade extensions from Artillian. They work great, and flex when you hit something. However for heavy snowfall, nothing beats the snowblower. really gets the snow out of the way. Does not matter if it is wet or not.
    fdmars likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    You never know how much we're going to get dumped with here. If it is an 1" or less, I utilize my Stihl back pack leaf blower. If people stay off the drive with cars until I get it cleared, it takes it right down to the concrete.

With more than 1", I use the snowblower on the 1025R as a pusher. I push it into a windrow and then utilize the snowblower with blower engaged.

Then, there is the heavy dump when it is the snow blower engaged for it all.

I had a rotary broom for the 455 in addition to the snowblower. It was nice as a clean up tool to cut through tire packed snow when people drove through it before I cleared it, but you couldn't move much snow with it or you'd snap a sheer bolt. It went with one of the 455s and I didn't replace it.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Id say past experience is a factor too.

Some guys love blades and hate blowers, some the opposite.

In my case, Im a snowblower guy. My pros and cons below.
    I may have left some out...but its not Winter and Im trying not to think about it until it gets here,

Blade.
    The blade is nice when you dont get much snow.
    You can easily clean down to the surface, and put it where you want.
    Operation is generally quieter too, as you dont need to run full throttle, or PTO speed.
    Its non-cab friendly too, as you generally dont get the snow your are moving blown back on you. Some of you hi performance tractors might, depending on ground speed, but most of us dont have this issue...lol.
    Its generally not designed to ride up and over hard edged obstacles.
    When you get tall snow banks, removing snow gets exponentially harder.
    No moving parts that wear out or break except the cutting edge.

Blower
    Cleans within an 1/8" of the surface.
    Can be loud as you are operating at or near max throttle.
    You may or may not want a cab, depending on your aversion to looking like the Abominable Snowman.
    Lots of moving parts that require more maintenance.
    You can put the snow where you want it, not at the edge of the drive. No big piles like with a blade.
    Cost. Considerably more than a blade.

All that said, I own both and use both. Under 2" gets the blade. More gets the blower.
    I feel like the blower is faster overall because I dont have to worry about where Im putting it nearly as much as with the blade. This is just a personal thing though, some guys say the blade is faster for them. The blade means big piles wherever you push it to, which can be a big problem over the course of a snowy Winter. I have yet to see anyone run out of room on their drive when using a blower.
    fdmars, Treefarmer, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I feel like this Tractor is gonna weigh atleast as much as my Kawasaki teryx sxs. It always pushed fine but the leading edge of the blade always takes a lot of stress where it attaches to the atv and I have snapped/bent it more times than I can count. I like the idea of the snow push since it seems faster than the bucket and stronger than the blade since donít have a pivot point. But I havenít been able to find model number to fit the 120r loader. We donít get enough snow to justify a blower. Usually under 6 inches. But get quite a few 2-4 all winter long. And then one or 2 larger 8-12 snows.

PJR832 likes this.
    -Alex-

2018 2025R
    60" MMM
    120R Loader
    AV10F Frontier snow plow
    Blue Diamond Toothbar
    Kens Bolt on Hooks
    5 Ft KK Box Blade
    Carry All
    Single Row Cultivator
    KK Middle Buster

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wvdeere View Post
    I feel like this Tractor is gonna weigh atleast as much as my Kawasaki teryx sxs. It always pushed fine but the leading edge of the blade always takes a lot of stress where it attaches to the atv and I have snapped/bent it more times than I can count. I like the idea of the snow push since it seems faster than the bucket and stronger than the blade since donít have a pivot point. But I havenít been able to find model number to fit the 120r loader. We donít get enough snow to justify a blower. Usually under 6 inches. But get quite a few 2-4 all winter long. And then one or 2 larger 8-12 snows.

I use a 72" FEL mounted plow I made to fit the quick attach from my SxS Moose plow. Works great, I understand your concerns with the edges, what works for me is plowing all the snow and then I straighten the blade and push up into the piles. A snow pusher would be nice as well, I almost pulled the trigger on one at my dealer back in Feb. when they had a 60" HLA discounted down to a little under $600 but for some reason I passed on it.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

Wvdeere†(07-16-2018)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 AM
    Thanks
    In WI Ihad both a large area to clear at the top of the drive and a long run to clear with my 72 inch CTA Pusher. I would just vear off on the long runs in a couple of places and make piles along the drive. Pushed most to the bottom and piled in the ditch.

New house will be gravel for at least one winter. With e CTA I can tighten the side runners and set the rubber Pusher up a little and should end up catching very little gravel.

Name:	2E3674F3-6908-41CF-B0FD-777F6B38A6E8.jpg†
Views:	64†
Size:	114.7 KB†
ID:	638822
    PaDave, JKR and PJR832 like this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60Ē Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MeagerHair View Post
    In WI Ihad both a large area to clear at the top of the drive and a long run to clear with my 72 inch CTA Pusher. I would just vear off on the long runs in a couple of places and make piles along the drive. Pushed most to the bottom and piled in the ditch.

New house will be gravel for at least one winter. With e CTA I can tighten the side runners and set the rubber Pusher up a little and should end up catching very little gravel.

Name:	2E3674F3-6908-41CF-B0FD-777F6B38A6E8.jpg†
Views:	64†
Size:	114.7 KB†
ID:	638822
    Thatís exactly what Iím looking for. Do you have the brand/model#?

PJR832 likes this.
    -Alex-

2018 2025R
    60" MMM
    120R Loader
    AV10F Frontier snow plow
    Blue Diamond Toothbar
    Kens Bolt on Hooks
    5 Ft KK Box Blade
    Carry All
    Single Row Cultivator
    KK Middle Buster

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    I use a 72" FEL mounted plow I made to fit the quick attach from my SxS Moose plow. Works great, I understand your concerns with the edges, what works for me is plowing all the snow and then I straighten the blade and push up into the piles. A snow pusher would be nice as well, I almost pulled the trigger on one at my dealer back in Feb. when they had a 60" HLA discounted down to a little under $600 but for some reason I passed on it.
    That was new for $600? That would be perfect for what i need!

PJR832 likes this.
    -Alex-

2018 2025R
    60" MMM
    120R Loader
    AV10F Frontier snow plow
    Blue Diamond Toothbar
    Kens Bolt on Hooks
    5 Ft KK Box Blade
    Carry All