• 4 Post By ky_shawn
  • 2 Post By CADplans

Thread: Low Cost Wick Applicator

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:12 AM
    Thanks

Low Cost Wick Applicator

Has anybody tried out one of the $100 wick applicators like agrisupply sells?

I have some patches of Johnson Grass that I would like to eliminate. They sell a bracket to mount it to the FEL, but it seems like you might track the herbicide (roundup) onto crop grasses. Also, I'm not to crazy about driving my tractor through the gly.

• Has anybody ever mounted one of these devices on the 3 point hitch?
    • How effective is the transfer to the target plant?
    • What about dripping?

Thanks for any experience that you can enlighten me with.
    Last edited by KeyboardJungle; 07-16-2018 at 08:07 AM.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    Never heard of it, but now Im interested in knowing more!
    PJR832 likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    I have never used an applicator with a tractor but heavily used them mounted onto the front rack of my four wheeler. The reason I mounted them to the front of the four wheeler is because the tires would smash down the weeds and the applicator was unable to wipe on the roundup if mounted on the rear.

I did not have issues with tracking. The wick worked extremely well at target weeds. The majority of my use for the applicators has been in pastures. Using a wick applicator is the best/easiest way I have found for knocking down the taller weeds and not killing everything in the process. I have had some drips here and there but never anything excessive. Killing random spots/drips the size of a quarter is not bad IMO and beats regular cuttings with a bushhog trying to cut out the tall stuff.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 07-16-2018 at 10:22 AM.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

KeyboardJungle (07-16-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:49 AM
    Thanks
    One problem with this type of applicator is there is no "on/off". Once the tube is filled the wicks get saturated and there is no way to stop the application.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    KeyboardJungle likes this.
    X748 - Curtis cab; X758 - 54" mower; X754 - 54" mower; 1025 TLB
    48" Berco Snowblower, 647 tiller, Cyclone vac, 60" 7-Iron deck

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hummer.2012 For This Useful Post:

KeyboardJungle (07-16-2018)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:12 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_shawn View Post
    ...The wick worked extremely well at target weeds. The majority of my use for the applicators has been in pastures. Using a wick applicator is the best/easiest way I have found for knocking down the taller weeds and not killing everything in the process...
    Based on your post, it sounds like it's worth a try for $100 (assuming that you used a "cheapie" like in my link, and not one of the higher end units).

What concentration of gly did you use?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardJungle View Post
    Based on your post, it sounds like it's worth a try for $100 (assuming that you used a "cheapie" like in my link, and not one of the higher end units).

What concentration of gly did you use?
    I have always used a cheapie, it's not identical to what you linked but close.

I use a 50/50 mix.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

KeyboardJungle (07-17-2018)

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    It may be different with the higher end applicators but with the cheaper setups I have found it works best to drive over the weeds twice using the opposite direction as the first for your 2nd pass over the target weeds.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

KeyboardJungle (07-18-2018)

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    Does anyone happen to know what the adapter fitting is that holds the rope?

It looks like some standard PVC pipe fitting of some sort,,,

With two of those fittings, and some PVC pipe, you could glue up a hand held version very easily,,,
    if the handle is the tank, you could have a ball valve at the bottom for some flow control.

I tried doing this with a refillable paint roller.
    You have to move REALLY fast because the watery mix flows out so fast,,,
    much faster than the thick latex paint it was designed for,,,

The paint roller did an incredible job of applying zero drift Roundup or 2-4,D ,,,

But, with the rollers high flow, instead of drift, I ended up with "DRIP",,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

KeyboardJungle (07-18-2018)

16. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    Does anyone happen to know what the adapter fitting is that holds the rope?

It looks like some standard PVC pipe fitting of some sort,,,

With two of those fittings, and some PVC pipe, you could glue up a hand held version very easily,,,
    if the handle is the tank, you could have a ball valve at the bottom for some flow control.

I tried doing this with a refillable paint roller.
    You have to move REALLY fast because the watery mix flows out so fast,,,
    much faster than the thick latex paint it was designed for,,,

The paint roller did an incredible job of applying zero drift Roundup or 2-4,D ,,,

But, with the rollers high flow, instead of drift, I ended up with "DRIP",,,

http://caes2.caes.uga.edu/commoditie...ipewickapp.pdf

17. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    That is interesting, thanks!!
    BigJim55 and ky_shawn like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements