Dethatching equipment suggestions?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By martincom
  • 3 Post By HomesteadJoe
  • 1 Post By Pedals2Paddles
  • 1 Post By GasPumper

Thread: Dethatching equipment suggestions?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks

Dethatching equipment suggestions?

I have an acre of yard that needs to be dethatched. Mostly for the purpose of removing dead crabgrass and dead weeds that I recently murdered with my new boom sprayer. I'd like to get it all cleaned up this fall to make way for overseeding. What I really don't want to do, is push a tiny little power rake around the acre of yard. I would much prefer something I can trailer behind my 425. It seems most of the readily available tow behind tine models are 40 or 48 inch, which seems sad. Is there anything bigger, like 54 or 60 inch? Has anyone cobbled up something that would lift the tow unit up using the class 0 three point hitch?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Thanks
    I got a 48" Craftsman (agri-fab) dirt cheap so I use it. Would be nice if it was wider, but it is what it is. I hook it to my multi-hole drawbar and use the 3 pt to raise and lower it, since I can't reach the dethatchers lift bar from the seat. Using the 3 pt works good for that, but I've got a 1025R, Cat 1 hitch. We do about 3 acres.
    Last edited by kylew; 07-16-2018 at 07:10 PM.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I suppose if you can do 3 acres with one of those, I can do my 1 acre

Does it perform well? One pass sufficient, or do you need to go over multiple times. I would probably suck the thatch up with the powerflow bagger afterwards.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    John Deere manufactures a Thatcher for the 425. I had one for my 455 (same unit) and I utilized it for the same application. With it front mounted, it was more like operating a snow plow as I would just "plow" dead grass into piles and burn it or while burning it.

I adapted it to my 1025R when I moved up:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...r-seeding.html
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by martincom; 07-17-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    kylew likes this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Thanks
    Yeah it works well but my lawn is a work in progress. I also run 2 cinder blocks on it for weight to stabilize it from bouncing around and use a slow ground speed.

As far as the number of passes, it depends how much you want to remove, the condition of your grass, etc. The spacing of the tines won't get all of the thatch in one pass, (I think you'll find most if not all de-thatchers are like this) but where my grass is thick, it gets a lot in one pass. Enough that it needs to be raked, bagged, blown, etc. But sometimes on the thick part, if it's gotten enough rain, I'll make 2 passes...one north-south, the other east-west. This helps get more out and the condition of the grass is stronger to be able to take the brunt of the second pass.

Where my grass is thinner, I'll do it once, clean it up, and let it be for a couple weeks. Don't want to do too much too fast and destroy it.

Definitely clean up the thatch after getting it up and loose.

IMO, de-thatching a lawn is not wham, bam, done. It takes time, especially like mine, where is not been done in years if ever. I think people give up too soon and sell their de-thatchers on craigslist
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedals2Paddles View Post
    I have an acre of yard that needs to be dethatched. Mostly for the purpose of removing dead crabgrass and dead weeds that I recently murdered with my new boom sprayer. I'd like to get it all cleaned up this fall to make way for overseeding. What I really don't want to do, is push a tiny little power rake around the acre of yard. I would much prefer something I can trailer behind my 425. It seems most of the readily available tow behind tine models are 40 or 48 inch, which seems sad. Is there anything bigger, like 54 or 60 inch? Has anyone cobbled up something that would lift the tow unit up using the class 0 three point hitch?
    I purchased a 3 point mounted 72” pine needle Rake from Everything Attachments to thatch my lawn. It works like a charm. You can get a tow-behind model too. You’ll love it.

Sincerely
    keane, kylew and goat704! like this.
    BadAss 2038R, R3s, R4s, Spacers, Eng & Xmission Heaters, LEDs, Cages, Fender Flares, Front Fenders, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, Hitch-N-Can, 800# Quick Tach Weights, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket, Tooth Bar, Single Point Hyd, 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, WR Long 3rd Function Hyd, 270B Backhoe, 72D MMM, Front 3 pt Hitch, 366 FMB Blade, PHD300 Post Hole Digger with Auger Set, LR2172 Landscape Rake w/gage Wheels, RB2072 Rear Blade, BB2072 Box Blade, AP12F Pallet Forks, EA 72" Pine Needle Rake, Fit-Rite TNT

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    So it looks like for practical purposes, I'm going to have to just get a traditional tow-behind 40 or 48" unit. At least they're cheap, and I need to get this done for fall overseeding.

But I was thinking I could very easily build some 10-12" extensions off each side with some angle iron and attach additional tines to them. That would give me a 60" wingspan and speed the job up. Then maybe down the road I can fandangle up a front mount to a quick hitch.
    kylew likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:21 PM
    Thanks
    I would highly recommend the Everything Attachments pine needle rake. The tines are little bet thicker than a dethatcher, but you can also use it to gather sticks and prep seedbeds. if you call and ask, they will build it so it is quick hitch compatible.

https://www.everythingattachments.co...e-p/pnr-60.htm
    kylew likes this.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements