Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 7100 drill

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-14-2019 @ 12:09 PM
    Thanks

7100 drill

Hey guys I hope all is well, I just got my new to me JD7100 6 row planter home and I am in the process of get it disassembled and cleaned up and refurbished to turn it into a 3 row food plot planter. I had a couple questions that I hope someone can help me on. I am curious if I can turn this into a drag type instead of a 3 point pickup for ease of dragging it through the roads to get where I am going. How would I go about building a carrier. Also since I am going on 3 rows will 1 drive wheel be enough or do I need 2. Is in the middle of hoppers good for a drive unit or is on one end better that the middles. Anyway thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slowboat76 View Post
    Hey guys I hope all is well, I just got my new to me JD7100 6 row planter home and I am in the process of get it disassembled and cleaned up and refurbished to turn it into a 3 row food plot planter. I had a couple questions that I hope someone can help me on. I am curious if I can turn this into a drag type instead of a 3 point pickup for ease of dragging it through the roads to get where I am going. How would I go about building a carrier. Also since I am going on 3 rows will 1 drive wheel be enough or do I need 2. Is in the middle of hoppers good for a drive unit or is on one end better that the middles. Anyway thanks in advance.
    It takes very little to spin the meters, one would do it. I would think the middle would be better to drive from, if you are keeping the rate gear box that will play into your decision. With 3 rows consider where they will be if your going to cultivate it with the same tractor because if one row is in the middle of the tractor your cultivator will need to be shifted off center or your planter will need to be.
    ky_shawn and PJR832 like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Thanks
    What about adding a center link, hitch and wheels to something like this? This was a web image capture, and unfortunately the link to was broken.

Several options come up with a google search for 3 point hitch caddy, but unfortunately they are for BIG implements, not something that will weight a few hundred pounds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hitch.png  
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    It takes very little to spin the meters, one would do it. I would think the middle would be better to drive from, if you are keeping the rate gear box that will play into your decision. With 3 rows consider where they will be if your going to cultivate it with the same tractor because if one row is in the middle of the tractor your cultivator will need to be shifted off center or your planter will need to be.
    Hey thanks for the reply, I am going to keep the gear box that came on it so I can adjust population. I know the plate style is not as accurate as the later offerings, but as this will only see food plot action I think the accuracy is fine as long as I can get parts to rebuild it and get it working right. I think I understand your cultivator comment but I am going to build a cultivator out of a 6 row deere cultivator I got and will build it to fit the rows accordingly. Thanks
    PJR832 likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    What about adding a center link, hitch and wheels to something like this? This was a web image capture, and unfortunately the link to was broken.

Several options come up with a google search for 3 point hitch caddy, but unfortunately they are for BIG implements, not something that will weight a few hundred pounds.
    Thanks for the reply as well. That's kind of what I had in mind, I have a mast from an old forklift and I was going to cut a section out that would give me the proper lift height and weld a tongue and an axle on it and weld the 3 point hitch point onto the mast and use my rear SCV valve to raise and lower the hydraulic cylinder on the mast that in turn would raise the planter. If that makes sense? LOL I have almost talked myself into just going with the 3 point and not rethink the wheel here.
    PJR832 likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Does anyone know where I can find parts for the plate style boxes, or maybe a junkyard that would have the parts I could buy. Also if anyone has an old 7000 that has the cylinders and lift/drive I would like to buy those as well. Any help is appreciated

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slowboat76 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find parts for the plate style boxes, or maybe a junkyard that would have the parts I could buy. Also if anyone has an old 7000 that has the cylinders and lift/drive I would like to buy those as well. Any help is appreciated
    https://www.worthingtonagparts.com/j...-planter-parts

https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/par...arts/7100.html

https://www.sloanex.com/planter-parts/john-deere.html

Just searching on google.
    Last edited by PJR832; 07-25-2018 at 07:34 PM.
    BigJim55, ky_shawn and Herminator like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Thanks
    The 7100 is not a plate style planter. Starting with the 7000 they had finger style meters that are very accurate. They were the first generation on the high speed planters, high speed be relative today but they will plant great in stock form up to 5-6mph.

I have used both of these for parts.

https://www.sloanex.com/planter-part...maxemerge.html

https://www.shoupparts.com/products/planter-parts/

If you want to become a complete planter geek this sight has many video’s and explainations of how they work.

Precision Seed Spacing & Depth Control | Precision Planting
    Last edited by Herminator; 07-25-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    BigJim55, ky_shawn and PJR832 like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Would a disc mower caddy work? Its for attaching a disc mower (3ph hitch) to your drawbar.

https://www.ag-power.com/new-products/frontier-equipment/hay-equipment-1/frontier-dc1000-disc-mower-caddy-detail
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    The 7100 is not a plate style planter. Starting with the 7000 they had finger style meters that are very accurate. They were the first generation on the high speed planters, high speed be relative today but they will plant great in stock form up to 5-6mph.

I have used both of these for parts.

https://www.sloanex.com/planter-part...maxemerge.html

https://www.shoupparts.com/products/planter-parts/

If you want to become a complete planter geek this sight has many video’s and explainations of how they work.

Precision Seed Spacing & Depth Control | Precision Planting

I went today and started tearing the planter down to confirm what I had. My hoppers have a Plate in them that is red and has maybe 30 teeth, The drive coupler spins the disc, which I assume, the seed drops in and it then goes down the tube. So I am curious now if I have a short run unit based on a 7100. The serial number plate is clearly marked P7100.
    PJR832 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast