Flail mower options and thoughts.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Jamone
  • 1 Post By klunker
  • 1 Post By ejb69
  • 1 Post By 670x

Thread: Flail mower options and thoughts.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:44 AM
    Thanks

Flail mower options and thoughts.

Hi all, I have been considering a flail mower for quite some time for my 1025r and wanted to know everyone's opinion on the matter. I have researched a bunch of them and am stuck between three different ones.

https://www.agrisupply.com/47-flail-...-pto/p/108923/

The Bellon Mit seems like a light duty flail that would work. It is offset some, but also looks like I could offset it more by moving the mount over. Not much info on them though and it looks like agri-supply is the only ones selling them

Flail Mowers for Sale | FM-62 Flail Mower | Flail Mower 62" | Finish mower - WoodMaxx

I have been looking at the woodmaxx brand for a couple of years. They seem to be a really well built unit and people who have purchased the chippers like them. It is a little wider than the Bellon Mit but not enough to make the tractor struggle I think. The thing that confuses me is if you look at the pictures they show two different machines with the same model number.

https://www.agrisupply.com/caroni-flail-mower/p/53412/

Then there is the caroni whch people here have bought and like. It is the most expensive of the three but seems like it is well built

So there is my situation. I want to do something, just not sure what and don't want to throw money away.

Thanks for any help

Adam
    2019 2025R, H120 Loader, 260b Backhoe, 47 QH Snow BLower, EL23 Kuhn Tiller, I-match, Heavy Hitch and misc. attachments

2016 X758, 54" HC mower, Quick Hitch, 60" blade, 3 pt hitch

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    I have the Woodmax FM-62 and like it. It seems to hold up with heavy brush/small trees. The FM-62H has a hydraulic cylinder for on the go offset change while the other doesn’t have adjustable offset. The 62” is way too big for your tractor. On my 2038r without front ballast or loader I can easily lift the front tires off the ground with a quick direction change. Steering without ballast works up to ~50% of my steering movement then I have to use differential breaking. Also while they say 20 PTO HP will cut it, it won’t. I have 30 and have had it bog my tractor with thick 24” tall grass by the river. If you go with the FM-54 that should be much better for your tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader
    rtgt likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Thanks
    I like Flail mowers, I had an Alamo 74" one.

If it were me I'd definitely pass on the Bellonmit. Just looking at the weight alone its less than 1/2 the weight of the Caroni.

Between the Woodmax and the Caroni I'd go with the Caroni.
    I'm assuming that your not interested in the hydraulic side shift. You may want that as the mower widths are borderline compared to the tractor tire width.
    Ideally you'd want a 54" mower on a tractor with a 47-48" rear tire width. Offset to one side would not work as well mowing trails with one pass. But I think your running a ragged edge using a mower that is the same width as your tractor that requires more hp than your tractor gives on the pto. You likely will have situations where you will have to slow down to get the job done.
    The Caroni seems to have much more adjustment on cutting height. To me that would be important. I'd cut any where from 3" to over 6" with mine.

what kind of situation do you see yourself mowing?
    rtgt likes this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:35 AM
    Thanks
    The 1025 May be a bit under powered to run a flail. I asked the dealer about getting a flail mower when a bought my 1026 . They didn’t have a flail mower that was compatible with the 1026r at the time.

From what I’ve seen even the 4’ flails need 20 - 30 pto hp. The 1025/26 has 18 pto hp.
    powerline likes this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info so far, I am looking to cut tall fields that have been mowed for years. I currently have a 4' rotary cutter that has seen better days and was thinking if I were to upgrade it then buying a flail mower be a good option. I just really hate to spend the money and not be happy with it.

Adam
    2019 2025R, H120 Loader, 260b Backhoe, 47 QH Snow BLower, EL23 Kuhn Tiller, I-match, Heavy Hitch and misc. attachments

2016 X758, 54" HC mower, Quick Hitch, 60" blade, 3 pt hitch

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks
    Flail mowers take a lot of pto hp with the 1025 you would have very slow mowing speeds i think
    Some Green and Orange toys

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-20-2019 @ 09:43 AM
    Thanks
    I have a1025r with the Woodmaxx 54 flail and it works awesome.
    Very well built and no problem spinning it.

I use it around the house where I don't want big rocks flying around for 100s of yards.

If the ground is somewhat level it is really easy to use. If you have a lot of loose rocks out in a field like I do then its kinda a pain because it picks the rocks up and keeps throwing them forward against the guards and you have to lift the mower up let the rock escape.

The only other complaint is it does NOT work with the imatch. I'm going to bust out the torch this winter and fix that I think.

So I use both a rotary and the flail they both have their places.
    Bubber likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    With the Woodmax FM-62 it also doesn’t work with the iMatch out of the box. But the only issue is the top link position isn’t the same vertical spacing as my ballast box. So I just removed the two bolts on the iMatch that hold the top link hook and replaced them with 2 pins from TSC. Now I can quickly adjust the iMatch for any implement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements